2019 Renault F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

hemichromis wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 17:53
Ground Effect wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 14:14
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 13:45
Does anybody know the upgrades planned for paul ricard? aero, mechanical, engine? Allez- Allez!!
"We are committed by Paul Ricard to have all the problems and all the delays that have been hurting us at the start of the season sorted out," he explained.

"So what that means is the engine will be back at full power and even a bit more, and that should be available at Paul Ricard.

"We will also have a number of upgrades, quite substantial on the aerodynamic side. And last but not least, we will have a number of performance projects that have not been delivered on time, because of all the delays in the rest of the organisation, that will be delivered for Paul Ricard at the latest.

I have no idea what he means in the last part by performance projects, I guess that’s Cyril-Speak...
When did he say this?

He seems to be saying that the engine wasn't at full power in Canada.
I think they were at full power, but the “even a little bit more” power should be coming in Paul Ricard. This interview was before Canada. It’s been posted before, but here it is again.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... e/4394961/
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

ti.danno

Ground Effect wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 18:22
hemichromis wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 17:53
Ground Effect wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 14:14

"We are committed by Paul Ricard to have all the problems and all the delays that have been hurting us at the start of the season sorted out," he explained.

"So what that means is the engine will be back at full power and even a bit more, and that should be available at Paul Ricard.

"We will also have a number of upgrades, quite substantial on the aerodynamic side. And last but not least, we will have a number of performance projects that have not been delivered on time, because of all the delays in the rest of the organisation, that will be delivered for Paul Ricard at the latest.

I have no idea what he means in the last part by performance projects, I guess that’s Cyril-Speak...
When did he say this?

He seems to be saying that the engine wasn't at full power in Canada.
I think they were at full power, but the “even a little bit more” power should be coming in Paul Ricard. This interview was before Canada. It’s been posted before, but here it is again.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... e/4394961/
Indeed.
I think they would like to tweak the PU after Montreal if it did perform the way they expected by the sound of it.

PowerandtheGlory

Ground Effect wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 17:20
Ground Effect wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 17:18
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 16:06

Why is part of me concerned that sticking on loads of new parts and seeing if they all work is a recipe for confusion... lets hope they already know what these will do and the car will still have good balance. Renault's understanding of the tyres has seen their pace much more consistent the past few races, while other teams haas fallen away.... :)
Well, if you take Canada as a case study,where they brought a some updates, you can only feel positive. I think Renault are getting to where they expected to be at the start of the season with the car and engine. It’s becoming clear that their reliability woes at the start of the season really put them on the back foot, but they are in full recovery mode now, and I’m worried for McLaren :D .
We have to admit, they did a good job sorting out the K, redesigning the conrod and making all this available across both teams, and have spares still, as Nico took extra elements in Barcelona for his pit lane start.
I find it interesting though, that during and after Montreal, there hasn’t been much chatter in the media over the strong performance of the engine. It seems Renault simply aren’t “big box office” enough, or sexy enough, like Red Bull Honda. Imagine, the French not regarded sexy enough... :lol:
I think Honda were left a bit flat after Canada, for a team trying to win races.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/38797/ho ... ught-.html

Id like to think That Renault are waiting till Paul Ricard to bang the drum, so to speak. But i think most people in the paddock and in the know can see that they have finally caught up with the other engines to be comparable.

I don't think Renault will fill the column inches like Ferrari or Mercedes, but this is nature of thing.

I hope that 'somehow' Renault can split the RB's again in France.. Then i think there can be some celebration
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Bill

The article say we which means redbull and Honda but you make it only about Honda. I mean Gasly was nursing the tyres,brake and engine which were overheating I think most people are drawing conclusions too soon where were you in the last 7 races. Redbull Honda as team or Marko at least thought they were ahead of merc during testing if Tanabe was talking about engines he would have referred to Ferrari who are leader in this department.

PhillipM

The 'little bit extra' that was in the quote is apparently another few horsepower in qualifying mode only, from Paul Ricard onwards - that's from a Mclaren team member - maybe a lubricant update or just more aggressive mapping now they're happier with reliablity fixed.

Ground Effect

Bill wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 12:19
The article say we which means redbull and Honda but you make it only about Honda. I mean Gasly was nursing the tyres,brake and engine which were overheating I think most people are drawing conclusions too soon where were you in the last 7 races. Redbull Honda as team or Marko at least thought they were ahead of merc during testing if Tanabe was talking about engines he would have referred to Ferrari who are leader in this department.
It would be odd if he referred to Honda as “I”.... Gasly was on the same cycle as both Renaults, so whatever he was nursing is neither here nor there, everybody nurses the brakes in Montreal. As it is now, Ferrari is the top engine, ahead of everybody. Honda were never equal to Mercedes, but felt, as everybody did, that they were very close. From this article, it is clear Honda now realise they are not as close as they thought to Mercedes. Ferrari is another story.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

Ground Effect

PhillipM wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 14:39
The 'little bit extra' that was in the quote is apparently another few horsepower in qualifying mode only, from Paul Ricard onwards - that's from a Mclaren team member - maybe a lubricant update or just more aggressive mapping now they're happier with reliablity fixed.
That would be quite helpful in the midfield battle during qualifying. But from statements made by Cyril it’ll probably be very small. Cyril had said that the gap to Ferrari in qualifying was significant, but will be addressed later in the year.

PhillipM

Yeah, if it was anything more than single figures he'd be bragging about it in the press.

NathanOlder

As for Canada and Gaslys supposed problems. Renault finished 21 (i think) seconds behind Max. And Max had no problems and was on the greater strategy with the hard tyres at the start.
Over 70 laps, I'd say thats pretty damn impressive from Renault
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Ground Effect

M840TR posted this on the McLaren page, it’s a lot more relevant here, regarding Renault’s Paul Ricard upgrades.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ul-ricard/

PowerandtheGlory

Ground Effect wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 11:32
M840TR posted this on the McLaren page, it’s a lot more relevant here, regarding Renault’s Paul Ricard upgrades.

Once you put it through translate, the combined effect in the wind tunnel is thought to be worth 0.5 of a second.. Lets hope Mr. Wind tunnel is right....
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

bill shoe

The car worked well in Canada so on some level the team must cringe at the idea of throwing out the entire aero package and putting on something new. But it's the only way towards the front!

NathanOlder

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 14:43
Ground Effect wrote:

Once you put it through translate, the combined effect in the wind tunnel is thought to be worth 0.5 of a second.. Lets hope Mr. Wind tunnel is right....
Please please please let this be true
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

PowerandtheGlory

NathanOlder wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 16:31
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

It would liven things up a bit in top teams if Renault can quali in the top 6 more often

NathanOlder

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 16:40
NathanOlder wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 16:31
PowerandtheGlory wrote:

It would liven things up a bit in top teams if Renault can quali in the top 6 more often

Yeah definitely. But half a second just sounds too much. Thats huge!!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.