2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Bill

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Mclaren and Renault has similar budget so they is no excuse why mclaren should be behind

_cerber1

I am a McLaren fan since '97, I have seen the ups and downs of the team more than once. With all my heart, I want McLaren to fight for the champion cup, but I understand perfectly well that in the current situation this is not realistic. Also, I believe that Renault will be stronger by the end of the year, because This is a factory team, with its motor, staffed by experienced and fast riders. Even in the team itself it is said that the goal for this season is to solve all the problems with the chassis, and to build a smooth relationship in the team. I am pleased with the progress they have achieved in the winter, and they are doing a good job now, I will be quite happy with 5th place in the Constructors' Championship, but 4th position, alas, is not achievable for us (I hope that I am mistaken).

bone

diffuser wrote:
bone wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 09:44
diffuser wrote:
06 Jun 2019, 18:26
We weren't taking about Drive-ability, which I personally think is a joke
you should go drive an overtuned 2 stroke drag racing engine on the road, and then come back to this statement...
drive-ability is sooooo very important, even more than top power
Right cause they spend over 1 Billions dollars on a improving and producing PUs/PU design over 5 years right?. Compare apples with apples.

Often, in these forums, we latch on to things that at some point were true. We carry them forward and expect them to be true for, a given period of time. I believe drive-ability to be one of those things. It is well documented that in this generation of PUs regulations that at one time Renault had drive-ability issues. I can't believe that after all the time, effort, money they pour into these PUs and constant feed back they ask for and get from the drivers that they haven't resolved those issues to the point where any advantage anyone team has been nullified.

I just can't believe that.
You follow motoGP? Those engines have been developed and improved for years, but each time an update is put on the bike (even aero!), electronics need to be tempered with to get the best out of it.
F1 cars are less susceptible to driveability than a bike, but where every nano second counts, it's still very important!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

chrisgr

Bill wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 09:28
Mclaren and Renault has similar budget so they is no excuse why mclaren should be behind
Until now Mclaren is not behind. It (only) seems that wont stay that way. But, either way, I didnt connect performance with budget. I only asked if there any info about all the teams budgets.

_cerber1

Bill wrote:
The budget does not matter. The Renault team has a couple of more experienced pilots, and they have their own engine, and as a result more understanding of its integration into the chassis. Back in the days of Mercedes, when the Germans came with their team to the championship, McLaren’s engineers immediately noted that the level of interconnection had sharply decreased.

diffuser

bone wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 09:54
diffuser wrote:
bone wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 09:44

you should go drive an overtuned 2 stroke drag racing engine on the road, and then come back to this statement...
drive-ability is sooooo very important, even more than top power
Right cause they spend over 1 Billions dollars on a improving and producing PUs/PU design over 5 years right?. Compare apples with apples.

Often, in these forums, we latch on to things that at some point were true. We carry them forward and expect them to be true for, a given period of time. I believe drive-ability to be one of those things. It is well documented that in this generation of PUs regulations that at one time Renault had drive-ability issues. I can't believe that after all the time, effort, money they pour into these PUs and constant feed back they ask for and get from the drivers that they haven't resolved those issues to the point where any advantage anyone team has been nullified.

I just can't believe that.
You follow motoGP? Those engines have been developed and improved for years, but each time an update is put on the bike (even aero!), electronics need to be tempered with to get the best out of it.
F1 cars are less susceptible to driveability than a bike, but where every nano second counts, it's still very important!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Agreed, that doesn't mean 1 PU is "Always" better than another. They get updates and sometimes they get the drive-ability better than others. I'm sure it doesn't take very long to fix it either.

diffuser

Did we ever find out what happened to Norris? It look like something clogged the brake duct. Do have an official statement?

_cerber1

diffuser wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 15:26
Did we ever find out what happened to Norris? It look like something clogged the brake duct. Do have an official statement?
While the reason is not known.

During the race in Canada on the Lando Norris bolide, the suspension broke and he lost the race. The head of McLaren Andreas Seidl said that they still do not know why this happened.

“We are continuing to study what happened to the Norris machine in Canada,” said Seidl. “So far, we have established only that there was overheating and mechanical damage, but we still do not know why this happened.”

https://f1report.ru/news/f1-44037.html

ispano6

_cerber1 wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 13:21
Bill wrote:
The budget does not matter. The Renault team has a couple of more experienced pilots, and they have their own engine, and as a result more understanding of its integration into the chassis. Back in the days of Mercedes, when the Germans came with their team to the championship, McLaren’s engineers immediately noted that the level of interconnection had sharply decreased.
Exactly what Red Bull and Toro Rosso said. Remember how Renault leapfrogged STR at the end of 2017 when their power units with 2nd rate parts started breaking down due to user or installation error? Would not be surprised to see something coincidentally similar.
In Renault's mind McLaren is below them.

Ground Effect

Really love these behind the scenes features....

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2019/ ... _wall.html
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mclaren111

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/prom ... -/4473050/

The demands of Paul Ricard...

Predictions on how MCL34 will handle this...

Raleigh

ispano6 wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 05:54
_cerber1 wrote:
Bill wrote:
Exactly what Red Bull and Toro Rosso said. Remember how Renault leapfrogged STR at the end of 2017 when their power units with 2nd rate parts started breaking down due to user or installation error? Would not be surprised to see something coincidentally similar.
Renault was struggling that point with the sheer number of engine failures, it’s rumoured they decided to concentrate on themselves and RB with TR getting recycled components instead of complete new engines, hence their higher rate of failure.

SmallSoldier

ispano6 wrote:
_cerber1 wrote:
Bill wrote:
Lol... Keep your tinfoil hat please.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PhillipM

mclaren111 wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 12:03
Not sure, it's a track where tyre wear is a concern, which suits the car, and there's enough high speed corners that the power/low drag nature should help as well - but on the other hand it's also a fair high grip surface so teams like HAAS and TR that struggle elsewhere should be able to get the tyres working easier, I'd expect the car to drop back into the midfield pack a bit compared to Canada.
However, a lot of teams have small upgrade packages arriving here, Mclaren included, so that could shake things up as well.

Ground Effect

PhillipM wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 17:38
mclaren111 wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 12:03
Not sure, it's a track where tyre wear is a concern, which suits the car, and there's enough high speed corners that the power/low drag nature should help as well - but on the other hand it's also a fair high grip surface so teams like HAAS and TR that struggle elsewhere should be able to get the tyres working easier, I'd expect the car to drop back into the midfield pack a bit compared to Canada.
However, a lot of teams have small upgrade packages arriving here, Mclaren included, so that could shake things up as well.
Any idea what's coming?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.