Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
rogazilla

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

I believe most of the above posts belong to the Honda general thread and my post below.

I do wonder what goes through Dan’s mind when Max blew by both Renaults. I wonder what modes the Renault’s are in when both Hulk and Dan were looking at that Honda Pu from behind. :D

Jejking

etusch wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 11:33
Ricci explain their strategy. It shows how my comment is true
“I expect a good start, jump inside the top three, get some TV time, and then we’ll see! I’m sure after a few laps the mediums will start to build and build and the soft is going to fade, but that’s where we need to be smart and pit at the right time and go from there.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ricc ... t/4460653/
I wish I had the right to downvote you, but your quote shows exactly nothing. Clearly you don't recognize typical Ricciardo optimism in front of the microphone.
rogazilla wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 00:50
I believe most of the above posts belong to the Honda general thread and my post below.

I do wonder what goes through Dan’s mind when Max blew by both Renaults. I wonder what modes the Renault’s are in when both Hulk and Dan were looking at that Honda Pu from behind. :D
I think Daniel knew they were toast, since they had been running on the hards for a very long time already. Max' racepace combined with fresh mediums was always going to be too much to handle for them. He was surprised already to have been able to hold up Bottas for so long, a justified icing on his sunday cake. Anybody with a decent racing brain would have understood that turning this zero contest-overtakes into a Honda warning, wasn't the answer. Honda is doing great, the partnership hand in hand with Red Bull seems to really go places. Nobody would have ever expected this ahead of 2019.

subcritical71

rogazilla wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 00:50
Yes, yes they do.
Another friendly reminder: While speculation thread will be let quite loose, the official car topics have stringent rules: Discussion will only be allowed for physical, existing parts of the car. no speculation, no discussion about drivers, team, laptimes or whatever. Posts that go against that will be deleted without notice. Repeating offenders will receive warnings.

Also, discussion about Power Units have their own threads. Please try to keep these discussions out of the car hardware threads and in the Power Unit threads. If a current discussion in a car thread keeps too much focus on the Power Unit, the associated posts will be moved to the respective Power Unit Thread
Key 2019 Threads
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23689

mzso

McMika98 wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 21:37
Very clear now that Renault have party mode, Honda is the worst of engine in terms of one lap performance. Wont be surprised if few rumblings appear on headlines. Next few races are mostly power sensitive so its going to exlose Honda even more unless they come up with something.
Drawing conclusions so far is ridiculous. Last year Gasly with undoubtedly the weakest PU came from last to finish 11th Passing multiple Ferrari and Mercedes cars.
Maybe the track just suites the Renault best or they finally made some progress with the car (though I don't think it's likely.).

godlameroso

So what's new in the Spec 3 that will debut next week? The obvious thing is probably some redesigned components to improve efficiency and packaging. I don't know if the new spec will have better qualifying modes, I doubt it just yet. I expect a good step in reliability and packaging, and a small step in power from increased efficiency.
Saishū kōnā

Marti_EF3

Maybe a new spec of the TC?? I remember I read something here a week or 2 ago. But the new ES and CE they took on Canada maybe have something to do with the update

McMika98

mzso wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 13:35

Drawing conclusions so far is ridiculous. Last year Gasly with undoubtedly the weakest PU came from last to finish 11th Passing multiple Ferrari and Mercedes cars.
Maybe the track just suites the Renault best or they finally made some progress with the car (though I don't think it's likely.).
Look at the data, its pretty clear where the Honda engine stands now Renault have gone full power. Last year Honda introduced new spec at Canada which gave them a big boost in race. Here Gasly could not get past Stroll who was using his old spec 1 engine that had done 5 races. Renault had zero updates.

Verstappen's take on their competitiveness below is full of praise:
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... XvjbQ.html

etusch

McMika98 wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 21:10
mzso wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 13:35

Look at the data, its pretty clear where the Honda engine stands now Renault have gone full power. Last year Honda introduced new spec at Canada which gave them a big boost in race. Here Gasly could not get past Stroll who was using his old spec 1 engine that had done 5 races. Renault had zero updates.

Verstappen's take on their competitiveness below is full of praise:
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... XvjbQ.html
Choose Gasly otherwise you can not make such comments

mzso

godlameroso wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 16:51
So what's new in the Spec 3 that will debut next week? The obvious thing is probably some redesigned components to improve efficiency and packaging. I don't know if the new spec will have better qualifying modes, I doubt it just yet. I expect a good step in reliability and packaging, and a small step in power from increased efficiency.
Why do you imagine there's a new spec coming?

Marti_EF3

mzso wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 22:34
godlameroso wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 16:51
Why do you imagine there's a new spec coming?
The Japanese supplier is coming for the second time this season with an improved power source, which should give Red Bull more power. That happened before for race four in Baku, and now at Grand Prix number eight on Paul Ricard.
In addition to the engine upgrade, Red Bull itself also comes with a number of updates to the car.
https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/57210694 ... 15/page-74

Alexf1

What improvements are on spec 3? New turbo?

saviour stivala

Resorting to a new power unit or anyone (new) of its 6 elements after only 4 races point more to a reliability concern than any improvement.

PlatinumZealot

Another power track. Lets see if the engine shows better here.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

hollus

A reminder to everyone that this is the PU thread, one of the threads we try to keep clean(er).
Please keep car pace, driver comparisons, other PUs, etc out of this thread. There are the race threads, the team threads, the general honda thread, etc. for that.
Rivals, not enemies.

Hkbruin2

McMika98 wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 19:06
PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 17:20
Another power track. Lets see if the engine shows better here.
Its pretty clear Honda are now behind all 3 manufacturers. Renault might be ahead of Merc. Spec 3 better deliver and must be brought forward asap. If no spec 3, expect Honda cars to be undressed and humilated.
We know that Honda’s development rate is accelerated and is the only manufacturer that has an aggressive plan to introduce 4 PU specs within this season. I haven’t heard such talk from other camps. Yes, they have the most catching up to do, but I have confidence in their current processes and their operations now seem robust and capable.