Renault F1 R.S. 19

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Neno

Re: Renault F1 R.S. 19

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 16:59
So what went wrong today? Seems they struggled.. yellow flags on their fast laps?
It's called not good chassis if remember it right. Could be wrong. Not exactly a expert given it pass what 13 year since last good one.

Enstone

Who's in charge of the chassis ? Chester... look at what he have done before, look at his sporting success and you will understand the main problem !

rogazilla

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 16:59
So what went wrong today? Seems they struggled.. yellow flags on their fast laps?
Too much horse power was twisting and ripping the rear wing into pieces :lol:

Joking aside, the chassis needs a lot of work it seems.

bill shoe

Neno wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 19:48
It's called not good chassis if remember it right. Could be wrong. Not exactly a expert given it pass what 13 year since last good one.
No, during the last years of the NA V8 formula in 2012/13, they (Lotus + Raikkonen) had about the best chassis and were the only team to keep Red Bull + Vettel honest at many many races. So only 6 years ago rather than the 13 you report. But I guess my correction still doesn't help Renault now, so moral victory to you.

And holy cr@p, how do you get a -28 rating? Have you been caught strangling cute puppy dogs or something?

Mclarensenna

bill shoe wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 23:14
Neno wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 19:48
No, during the last years of the NA V8 formula in 2012/13, they (Lotus + Raikkonen) had about the best chassis and were the only team to keep Red Bull + Vettel honest at many many races. So only 6 years ago rather than the 13 you report. But I guess my correction still doesn't help Renault now, so moral victory to you.

And holy cr@p, how do you get a -28 rating? Have you been caught strangling cute puppy dogs or something?
Yes considering the Lotus low budget in 12/13 they did a very good job. The main thing Lotus had also back then was a very good designer in James Allison. Ferrari then poached him.

Renault is doing a very poor job on the chassis side. Especially considering the massive investment in new equipment, increased staff levels, new super dyno etc. The engine has made a very big step especially in Qualy yet the lap times are not improving.
If you remove the big jump in engine performance the chassis has actually gone backwards in relation to last year.
Renault are not closing the gap this year to the big 3 as Cyril targeted. On the chassis side the gap is increasing (not decreasing) especially in relation to the midfield teams now as well.

godlameroso

They just lack downforce, and their bargeboard setup is a mess.
Saishū kōnā

Mclarensenna

Cyril Abiteboul, Team Principal:
“Clearly, it’s not a good weekend. Although we had the pace to be slightly higher up on the grid, the track exposed weaknesses of our car, similar to previous races but in a more exacerbated fashion this weekend. We need to identify if there was anything specific with set-ups or simply a feature of the chassis on which we must work.”

Cyril has been using the same old excuses for 3 years now. He has missed every single target for years. Just last race in France he targeted a half a second gain which they calculated using their new superdyno and equipment. Result? The car is even slower. He targeted to close gap to top 3 this year. Failed again as he dropped now behind Mclaren even. Failed target after failed target for 3 years now. Cyril hired Nick Chester (chassis is useless). Hired Budowski to steal all the other teams secrets. Complete failure as they cannot even create a chassis to match a 2 year old redbull chassis. So what secrets did Budowski bring exactly?
The car according to Ric is a piece of junk. Unbalanced, very poor braking, handling, tyre management etc
And Hulk says its exactly same issues/problems as last year.

Ferrari fired team boss last year, Mclaren got rid of Boulier, Honda engine department fired the boss for failing, Williams fired Paddly Lowe
It seems in F1, Boss's get fired for repeated failures.
Unless of course your name is Cyril.
What does Cyril need to do to get fired? Come last and get lapped by Kubica in the Williams?

carisi2k

What more is there to say other then I told you guys the RS19 was a fat POS. The mcl43 is running rings around this car and making much better use of the engine which finally seems to be powerful and reliable enough. Cyril needs to go.

Enstone

Cyril needs to go.
Not only him but also Chester who's in charge of the technical dept !

garygph

A big reach maybe and I would love to hear from our aero experts here ( the genuine ones please ;) ) if the heat/humidity/altitude had enough of an effect on air density that, if you were on the edge of your aero working or not, tipped it over the edge and lost a lot of performance. Is the vorticity forming ability affected and so on?

godlameroso

Heat affects aero in a minimal way as the heated air over the asphalt is thinner than the air a few inches higher.
Saishū kōnā

garygph

godlameroso wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 22:12
Heat affects aero in a minimal way as the heated air over the asphalt is thinner than the air a few inches higher.
Agreed and the floor is working with that layer of hot air. Has the air density, between the hot asphalt and higher altitude, been that low this year yet? Genuine question btw.

trinidefender

garygph wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 10:38
godlameroso wrote:
Agreed and the floor is working with that layer of hot air. Has the air density, between the hot asphalt and higher altitude, been that low this year yet? Genuine question btw.
Yes it has. Using an average circuit altitude of 753m I used these variables to get the difference in density altitude between 2018 and 2019:

Air temperature - 24C
Altimeter setting - assumed standard altimeter setting of 1013mb
Dew Point - 15C (also assumed looking at past data)
Density altitude = 4311ft/1314m

Air temperature - 36C (couldn't find he actual readings but this was the closest forecast)
Altimeter setting - 1013 (assumed standard as above)
Dew Point - 20C (assumed looking at previous data)
Density altitude = 5704ft/1739m

That 1400ft difference will be quite noticeable.

garygph

trinidefender wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 20:26
garygph wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
Yes it has. Using an average circuit altitude of 753m I used these variables to get the difference in density altitude between 2018 and 2019:

Air temperature - 24C

Air temperature - 36C (couldn't find he actual readings but this was the closest forecast)

Thanks for the answer.
Apparently the Air temperature was 33C and the track was 58C. I thought this graph below was interesting and related to the reported figures for the last race:
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Cor ... _298806413
Really interesting to me is what temperatures the air must be getting to just above the surface of the track on really hot days and the effects thereof on the floor diffuser etc.

trinidefender

garygph wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 15:01
trinidefender wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 20:26
garygph wrote:

Air temperature - 24C

Thanks for the answer.
Apparently the Air temperature was 33C and the track was 58C. I thought this graph below was interesting and related to the reported figures for the last race:
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Cor ... _298806413
Really interesting to me is what temperatures the air must be getting to just above the surface of the track on really hot days and the effects thereof on the floor diffuser etc.
May I ask where you got the recorded weather conditions from? I looked and couldn't find them, only forecasts before the race.