Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
McMika98

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

Jolle wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 22:01
Looking at Gasly's previous racing series (Renault 2.0 and GP2) it looks like he needs time to get to grips with the car, tires and stuff, what would suggest he needs a predictable car. Good chance the TR is/was build as a stable platform for having a good entry for drivers to come into F1 while the RB is much more on the edge. There are very few drivers who can maximise a car like that and we've seen many drivers struggle when they come across a car like this.
Toro rosso last year, no doubt was a very solid driveable car, hallmark of James Key design. Gasly had few lucky results exploiting the chassis and Hartley made him look good. My impression is that he is quick with car that he can push around but he is bad at setting up a car, lacks technical feedback. It does not help that he has a young race engineer who will be tuning the setup. His racecraft is poor and maybe worse than the new rookie class, poor at overtaking and defending. Last year he was frequently caught out at restarts from safety car and only managed decent results when he was in clear air with no traffic.
Interesting that Albon was back in Milton Keynes straight after the race weekend. Hmmm secret seat fitting and simulation runs might be the order from Dr Marko.

Jolle

McMika98 wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 23:25
Jolle wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 22:01
Looking at Gasly's previous racing series (Renault 2.0 and GP2) it looks like he needs time to get to grips with the car, tires and stuff, what would suggest he needs a predictable car. Good chance the TR is/was build as a stable platform for having a good entry for drivers to come into F1 while the RB is much more on the edge. There are very few drivers who can maximise a car like that and we've seen many drivers struggle when they come across a car like this.
Toro rosso last year, no doubt was a very solid driveable car, hallmark of James Key design. Gasly had few lucky results exploiting the chassis and Hartley made him look good. My impression is that he is quick with car that he can push around but he is bad at setting up a car, lacks technical feedback. It does not help that he has a young race engineer who will be tuning the setup. His racecraft is poor and maybe worse than the new rookie class, poor at overtaking and defending. Last year he was frequently caught out at restarts from safety car and only managed decent results when he was in clear air with no traffic.
Interesting that Albon was back in Milton Keynes straight after the race weekend. Hmmm secret seat fitting and simulation runs might be the order from Dr Marko.
It's the festival of speed coming weekend, Albon probably will drive some RedBulls or has some other jobs around there. Nothing special.

UlleGulle

Regarding Gasly-replacement, and pure specualtion here, how about Perez?

He doesn't really look happy att Racing Stroll Point. And Daddy-Stroll can't be to happy with paying a driver to make his son look bad?

In him, Red Bull could find a driver who's desperate enough to play second fiddle, but good enough to challenge for wins and act as a interim first driver if Max makes an exit.

Just my thoughts.

NL_Fer

Redbull in my opinion has 3 drivers on test already for that seat. Fastest one will put next to Max at the end of this season.

But resuming about technical personnel. Haas again are struggling with the tires, the need more experience to sort that kitcar Ferrari out. Who could be up for this? Paddy Lowe, Nick Fry... Rob Smedley?

santos

UlleGulle wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 15:04
Regarding Gasly-replacement, and pure specualtion here, how about Perez?

He doesn't really look happy att Racing Stroll Point. And Daddy-Stroll can't be to happy with paying a driver to make his son look bad?

In him, Red Bull could find a driver who's desperate enough to play second fiddle, but good enough to challenge for wins and act as a interim first driver if Max makes an exit.

Just my thoughts.
Gasly is walking on thin ice. Kvyat is just waiting.
Perez is a nice guy. I think he deserved a better car, but i don't think he have a chance at Red Bull.

hemichromis

Red Bull will not wait till the end of the season. Gasly has to show results before the summer break.

Jolle

A swap between a STR driver and RB should not only be because Gasly’s distance to Verstappen but also the right moment for Albon of Kvyat. Best way to ruin your investment and talent to put them halfway trough the season in a difficult to “get right” car.

I think Gasly will sit out the season, even half a second behind Verstappen he’s possible the quickest of the other options for RedBull in this years car.

roon

Makes me wonder: who in an RB15 other than VER and GAS could have scored more points than LeClerc in an SF90. Because they'd be second in the standings (RB) ahead of Ferrari had that combo been available.

NL_Fer

Carlos Sainz

Jolle

By the way, it's custom at Ferrari that their world champion ship contender leaves before the end of his contract, so.... when and where does Vettel end up in 2020? :P

gibells

roon wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 20:20
Makes me wonder: who in an RB15 other than VER and GAS could have scored more points than LeClerc in an SF90. Because they'd be second in the standings (RB) ahead of Ferrari had that combo been available.
Ricciardo. In an SF90 and an RB15

The boy's been shafted.

UlleGulle

Jolle wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 23:06
By the way, it's custom at Ferrari that their world champion ship contender leaves before the end of his contract, so.... when and where does Vettel end up in 2020? :P
Again, just pure speculation, but I can really see him and Renault fooling themselves into a VET-RIC swap. If LEC gains the upper hand in Ferrari, he has been much closer to victory twice, VET could be drawn to a siren song of being undisputed nr.1 driver and commitments from Renault about becoming the new Mercedes when the regulations change. He has also shown quite the distrust in the calls Ferrari is making, both design wise and strategy wise.

Renault on the other hand can claim to have signed a multiple world champion, which suits their self-image.

It will all end in tears, though.

Jolle

UlleGulle wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 10:51
Jolle wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 23:06
Again, just pure speculation, but I can really see him and Renault fooling themselves into a VET-RIC swap. If LEC gains the upper hand in Ferrari, he has been much closer to victory twice, VET could be drawn to a siren song of being undisputed nr.1 driver and commitments from Renault about becoming the new Mercedes when the regulations change. He has also shown quite the distrust in the calls Ferrari is making, both design wise and strategy wise.

Renault on the other hand can claim to have signed a multiple world champion, which suits their self-image.

It will all end in tears, though.
It's not even speculation from my part, just a bit of fun. My opinion is that Ferrari first has to sort out some other things before they could start putting the blame on drivers (Vettel in this case). Although not bad, they haven't had a good season for the last decade, with disappointing cars, lot's of questionable design choices and lots of changes in team bosses (and trying three world champions in the process). Compare that to the last ten years of Mercedes and RedBull. They are solid teams, not always winning, but always busy improving, stable, etc etc.

If they, for any reason, they would fire Vettel (what I don't expect), Ferrari's selfreflection is even worse that it seems to be.

zeph

For now Vettel still has more points than Leclerc. The new guy certainly has had weekends where he was the faster driver, but I wouldn’t write off Vettel just yet.

ME4ME

zeph wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 21:04
For now Vettel still has more points than Leclerc. The new guy certainly has had weekends where he was the faster driver, but I wouldn’t write off Vettel just yet.
Me neither. In my opinion Vettel has been pretty solid so far this season. Neither more nor less. Wouldn't say Leclerc has been better, but obviously Ferrari will feel he is the future.