2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
siskue2005

Re: 2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

Wynters wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:20
Super unlucky for Bottas, although I don't understand how he didn't get fastest lap on the last lap. He should know by now that is when Hamilton goes for it.
Bottas would have been overtaken by Lewis without the SC... Bottas surely needed two stops, while Lewis was out there stretching it already to a one stopper for him, so Lewis overtaking him was inevitable. we were robbed of a fight between those two with the SC

f1jcw
f1jcw

RZS10 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 19:09
Wynters wrote:
Super unlucky for Bottas, although I don't understand how he didn't get fastest lap on the last lap. He should know by now that is when Hamilton goes for it.
According to Wolff Bottas said he had nothing left in the tyres.
Big Tea wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:34
I have to ask, why the pink hat for Lewis?
It's some special limited edition (#3) cap in totally-not-pink but "Unique Cayenne Red" from a limited edition cap series which can be yours for just 45€.

https://shop.mercedesamgf1.com/lewis-ha ... n-cap.html
Hmmmm maybe if I was at the GP and caught up in the moment, but :shock:

ispano6

GPR -A wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 18:33
ispano6 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 18:29
GPR -A wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 18:25
Stewards have themselves to blame for the incident involving Vettel and Verstappen. Had they given a penalty for Verstappen for gaining an advantage by leaving the track and getting ahead of Leclerc, the event wouldn't have arise for Vettel to crash.
Leclerc's driving was borderline questionable a few moments. Light a fire in Verstappen though, and Leclerc may come to regret it.
Light a fire and bring the crashator of the yesteryear back! That would be fun to watch. :lol:

Today he was schooled though.
Nah, he was robbed. As was Bottas. Hamilton and Leclerc were gifted, thus the deflated feeling at the end. First half was epic, for sure, and the result nice for British and Hamilton fans.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Hamilton was in DRS constantly for Bottas's entire first stint. As soon as Bottas pitted, Hamilton set a fastest lap and just kept going at that pace. It's possible Hamilton could have gone long enough to do a one stopper and won even without the safety car. I even said it on here at the time. Vettel appeared to be doing the same thing at the time.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

siskue2005

ispano6 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 19:18
GPR -A wrote:
ispano6 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 18:29

Leclerc's driving was borderline questionable a few moments. Light a fire in Verstappen though, and Leclerc may come to regret it.
Light a fire and bring the crashator of the yesteryear back! That would be fun to watch. :lol:

Nah, he was robbed. As was Bottas. Hamilton and Leclerc were gifted, thus the deflated feeling at the end. First half was epic, for sure, and the result nice for British and Hamilton fans.
Bottas would have been overtaken by Lewis without the SC... Bottas surely needed two stops, while Lewis was out there stretching it already to a one stopper for him, so Lewis overtaking him was inevitable. we were robbed of a fight between those two with the SC

djones
djones

Oh man come on.....

Sure the safety car made the win easy for Hamilton. But he was on for the win anyway.

When Bottas made his first pit stop Hamilton said he had life left in the tyres. And this could be seen by the lap times he was able to do when freed up. Hamilton could have converted to a 1 stop and won that way.

Or just look at the race pace Hamilton had. Fastest lap at the end of 30+ old hards. He would have been past Bottas on track even if they had the same strategy.

Actually, Bottas is very lucky he did not finish in about 5th today and should be thankful for the gifted 2nd.

falonso81

NathanOlder wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 18:20
falonso81 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:07
Max was way off line and hit the brakes way too early. There was no way he could make the chicane. Of course the driver from behind will get the penalty.
To make the corner, he had to brake early, which is what he did, as you said. Your statement contradicts itself badly.
Sorry if my comment is not coming across (english is not my main language). I wanted to say that if he braked normally he would not have made the corner because he was all the way to the inside, he would have gone straight. Thats why he braked earlier and Vettel got caught off guard. Still i am amazed at the amount of risk Verstappen puts through in his defensive moves. Its like he only cares not to be overtaken at all costs.

Big Tea

f1jcw wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 19:16
RZS10 wrote:
Wynters wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:34
I have to ask, why the pink hat for Lewis?
It's some special limited edition (#3) cap in totally-not-pink but "Unique Cayenne Red" from a limited edition cap series which can be yours for just 45€.

Thanks, so its a 'buy this, you have all the others'? Hmm. Pass lol
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

f1jcw
f1jcw

Big Tea wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 19:26
f1jcw wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 19:16
RZS10 wrote:

Thanks, so its a 'buy this, you have all the others'? Hmm. Pass lol
He could have at the very least signed them.....

erudite450
erudite450

Bottas didn't lose the race because of the safety car. Yes, I said it...
Was he unlucky? Absolutely.
Having said that, he only lost the race because he didn't have the pace to pull a gap on Hamilton in the first stint. Mercedes gives the choice of strategy to the lead driver. That means the lead driver pits first if the other driver is within undercut range - around 5 seconds - otherwise the second driver pits first to avoid a safety car scenario like today. For instance, at the Spanish GP Hamilton would have lost the lead if he had made his 2nd stop before Bottas. Bottas pitted first and on the next lap, there was a safety car! If Hamilton didn't have enough gap to Bottas, he would have pitted before Bottas and he would have lost that race.
Whenever Hamilton is in front, he always pits after Bottas because he has the pace to pull the requuired gap. So as much as he (Bottas) was unlucky, his lack of pace cost him the grand prix and I'm sure he knows it.

ispano6

It could have been Bottas that was left out. Bottas was screwed with going medium->medium and pitting first.

ispano6

erudite450 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 19:32
Bottas didn't lose the race because of the safety car. Yes, I said it...
Was he unlucky? Absolutely.
Having said that, he only lost the race because he didn't have the pace to pull a gap on Hamilton in the first stint. Mercedes gives the choice of strategy to the lead driver. That means the lead driver pits first if the other driver is within undercut range - around 5 seconds - otherwise the second driver pits first to avoid a safety car scenario like today. For instance, at the Spanish GP Hamilton would have lost the lead if he had made his 2nd stop before Bottas. Bottas pitted first and on the next lap, there was a safety car! If Hamilton didn't have enough gap to Bottas, he would have pitted before Bottas and he would have lost that race.
Whenever Hamilton is in front, he always pits after Bottas because he has the pace to pull the requuired gap. So as much as he (Bottas) was unlucky, his lack of pace cost him the grand prix and I'm sure he knows it.
I never said Bottas got screwed by the safety car did I? Re-read my post.

zibby43
zibby43

"Where's Lewis?"

Last edited by zibby43 on 14 Jul 2019, 19:44, edited 2 times in total.

ispano6

siskue2005 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 19:23
ispano6 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 19:18
GPR -A wrote:

Bottas was screwed by strategy not SC. I never said Bottas was robbed by the safety car.
Max was robbed by Vettel. Bottas, well, by his own team and strategy.
Hamilton was gifted an easy win without a fight at the end.
Leclerc assumed 3rd with Max getting punted by Vettel.

komninosm
komninosm

F1NAC wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 16:32
Too bad they didn't let Bottas fight for number one spot... i guess records must be broken today
Wow, did you even watch the race? Such bias...

In other news, Max passed Leclerc off track, but Leclerc was off track too (and pushed Max off then).

Also, Max passed Vettel fairly and kept the inside, while the track geometry made it appear he was closing a gap to the left, but he really just went mostly straight. Vettel just had another brain fart as he admitted at least this time. Too bad the fans won't follow suit easily.
(and I'm a Max hater usually)

Leclerc had an awesome drive, but Hamilton was really amazing too. He passed Bottas and left him room when he didn't really have to, our of respect to a teammate and to avoid even the slightest chance for a collision (by fault of Bottas).
Hamilton really deserves his titles. He's the fastest man on track and with the most skill. He was so fast this race it is ludicrous to say he wouldn't have won it without a safety car.
He was driver of the day for me, just for his amazing speed.

Also on the tires front, it's surprising the car in front (Bottas) had more troubles than the car following him in every turn. I guess Bottas is not much better than Vettel under pressure ;p (still better though ^.^)

If that run-off was grass (or cement/asphalt/etc.) instead of gravel we wouldn't have that "disliked" safety car, would we? Food for thought.
Also extra pit stops making a come-back, a small one. We just need refueling back and no arbitrary tire rules and maybe shorter pit entries and exits and then we'll really see multi-pit strategies flourish.