2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
siskue2005

Re: 2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

komninosm wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 19:40
F1NAC wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 16:32
Too bad they didn't let Bottas fight for number one spot... i guess records must be broken today
Wow, did you even watch the race? Such bias...

In other news, Max passed Leclerc off track, but Leclerc was off track too (and pushed Max off then).

Also, Max passed Vettel fairly and kept the inside, while the track geometry made it appear he was closing a gap to the left, but he really just went mostly straight. Vettel just had another brain fart as he admitted at least this time. Too bad the fans won't follow suit easily.
(and I'm a Max hater usually)

Leclerc had an awesome drive, but Hamilton was really amazing too. He passed Bottas and left him room when he didn't really have to, our of respect to a teammate and to avoid even the slightest chance for a collision (by fault of Bottas).
Hamilton really deserves his titles. He's the fastest man on track and with the most skill. He was so fast this race it is ludicrous to say he wouldn't have won it without a safety car.
He was driver of the day for me, just for his amazing speed.

Also on the tires front, it's surprising the car in front (Bottas) had more troubles than the car following him in every turn. I guess Bottas is not much better than Vettel under pressure ;p (still better though ^.^)

If that run-off was grass (or cement/asphalt/etc.) instead of gravel we wouldn't have that "disliked" safety car, would we? Food for thought.
Also extra pit stops making a come-back, a small one. We just need refueling back and no arbitrary tire rules and maybe shorter pit entries and exits and then we'll really see multi-pit strategies flourish.
agree

Wynters
Wynters

ispano6 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 19:34
It could have been Bottas that was left out. Bottas was screwed with going medium->medium and pitting first.
If Bottas had been left out, Hamilton would've pitted and easily closed in using his fresh rubber and his superior pace whilst Bottas limped round on old tyres. If a Safety Car didn't occur, Hamilton wins comfortably and you'd actually be justified in accusing Mercedes of screwing Bottas.

If you want to go after a team for showing favouritism, go after RBR. Not only does Verstappen get all the car upgrades before Gasly does, Gasly is constantly compromised if it provides even the slightest chance of improving Verstappen's prospects. See today "Great work being in front of Max, Pierre. Now pull over and let him past on the next straight and then slow right down and block Leclerc as much as possible."

But I will point out that teams favouring one driver is quintessential F1 and is by far more common than teams who have the luxury of not doing that. Often, it's the smartest play. RBR, for example, clearly didn't expect to be in a WDC race with anyone so they could do what they did last season, sit safely in third and milk all the Max fanbois' money and publicity and spend the offseason counting all the extra money and, justifiably, high-fiving themselves.

The only reason we've started to see a change is that Ferrari's constant ball dropping has given RBR a good shot at 2nd and they need to give Gasly a chance to actually finish in the top 5, hence the updates to his car and his resultant increase in race performance. It will be interesting to see if this continues (it'll depend on whether Ferrari pull away or continue to shoot themselves in both feet).

komninosm
komninosm

ispano6 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 19:39
siskue2005 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 19:23
ispano6 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 19:18

Nah, he was robbed. As was Bottas. Hamilton and Leclerc were gifted, thus the deflated feeling at the end. First half was epic, for sure, and the result nice for British and Hamilton fans.
Bottas would have been overtaken by Lewis without the SC... Bottas surely needed two stops, while Lewis was out there stretching it already to a one stopper for him, so Lewis overtaking him was inevitable. we were robbed of a fight between those two with the SC
Bottas was screwed by strategy not SC. I never said Bottas was robbed by the safety car.
Max was robbed by Vettel. Bottas, well, by his own team and strategy.
Hamilton was gifted an easy win without a fight at the end.
Leclerc assumed 3rd with Max getting punted by Vettel.
I'm pretty sure you said:
ispano6 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 18:26
It could have been an EPIC British GP but no, it was another one determined by "luck" of safety car and how it completely rearranges the competitive order. Giovinazzi again showing his quality and effectively ruining a great race and ofcourse Vettel's late desperation move also was just that. Trying way too hard and late into that corner.
An anti-climactic end that I reckon many of the crowd felt robbed.
Luck of safety car. Never mentioned Bottas strategy. Besides Bottas only has himself to blame, he ruined his tires trying to defend from a faster (more deserving of the win) Hamilton and had to pit early and go for 2 stops.
Also Leclerc was screwed by the safety car since Ferrari forgot to call him in to pit and he lost a place with pitting the next lap.
It's obvious you're a Verstappen fan, but please keep it real. Yes, Vettel was at fault for hitting Verstappen, but there was no way in hell Hamilton was losing this race based on speed alone. Even Bottas probably had better race pace than Verstappen if needed.

komninosm
komninosm

Wynters wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 19:57
The only reason we've started to see a change is that Ferrari's constant ball dropping has given RBR a good shot at 2nd and they need to give Gasly a chance to actually finish in the top 5, hence the updates to his car and his resultant increase in race performance. It will be interesting to see if this continues (it'll depend on whether Ferrari pull away or continue to shoot themselves in both feet).
How much of Gasly's gains in pace (he was still slower though) was down to new components and how much was because they gave him data from Verstappen's car/race (whatever) setup?
Is this like when they gave Rosberg info from Hamilton?
I'm really curious.

Wynters
Wynters

komninosm wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 20:00
Wynters wrote:
How much of Gasly's gains in pace (he was still slower though) was down to new components and how much was because they gave him data from Verstappen's car/race (whatever) setup?
I'm really curious.
I've seen a couple of reliable sources state that Red Bull gave Max a wing that solved their rear end down force issues for the Austrian GP. It's difficult to tell how much difference it made (a lot, but actual numbers are tough to calculate) because Gasly was also asked to slow down and block Leclerc in Austria so Max had time to catch him before the end of the race. So, even with their two very different cars, Gasly wasn't actually a lap slower.

I'm not sure how closely the situation parallels Rosberg and Hamilton. I wondered if the setup info they gave Gasly was the info Max learnt from Austria, as otherwise it's a major new aero upgrade that Gasly's side of the garage would have been starting from 'scratch' with. Clearly he hit the ground running as, although the team gave him a P1 glory run (which is strange in itself) he still managed to go top which, considering how long it normally takes to dial in a new, significantly changed front wing isn't guaranteed and there wouldn't have been much in the way of Silverstone-specific info for Max to share at that point in the weekend.

Agree Max was faster today (and, as he's a better driver, I'd expect him to win any season-long battle in equal cars).

LM10
LM10

What a crazy race. The safety car destroyed the amazing moment of the race. Afterwards it was exciting too, but to a lesser extent. Bottas managed to hold back Hamilton. The safety car couldn’t appear in a worse time for Bottas.

Vettel’s crash into Max was shocking. It was Vettel’s fault, sadly. He admitted it, he was penalized and there is not much more to talk about this specific incident.

However, another incident which can be talked about was the one between Leclerc and Max. Verstappen was off track. The question is, if Leclerc was as well. I’ve not seen a video footage yet. If yes, no penalty I guess, but if not, then Max should have given the place back. Other than that, I loved how Leclerc defended and fighted against him.
Btw., it’s quite obvious how Honda gives RBR much more juice during race than others. Obviously because they’ve planned to use 5 PUs. So still 2 to go.

After all, Mercedes wiped the floor with the opponent. Their race pace was on another level. In the second stint both Mercedes drivers set fastest lap after fastest lap. And the pinnacle was when Hamilton set the fastest lap on 32 laps old Hards.
Their big upgrade package will come yet. Let’s all pack and go home until next year at least.

Oh, and congratulations to Hamilton for another flawless drive and his record.

Unf

One thing is clear for Bottas now - he can forget about driver championship now. He's a decent driver but... ha has no "x-factor" if you know what I mean.
Only fresh bloods like leclerc, russel or norris could bite Ham in the same car. But Mercedes will never allow to have that combination. THam vs. Ros drama was enough for them, simply.

Big Tea

komninosm wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 20:00
Wynters wrote:
I'm really curious.
Reading between the lines, always difficult, it seems he was told 'the car is fastest this way, get on with it'.
Seems straight forward, but if you feel a car is not doing what you want,you need to adjust it to fit your mental pattern.
Possibly (don't know) like when Schuie lost his gears and still got home well. You know things are not what you want, but once you decide to drive to what you have, not what you would like, it frees up your racing brain.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

epo
epo

LM10 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 20:12
\]

After all, Mercedes wiped the floor with the opponent. Their race pace was on another level. In the second stint both Mercedes drivers set fastest lap after fastest lap. And the pinnacle was when Hamilton set the fastest lap on 32 laps old Hards.
Their big upgrade package will come yet. Let’s all pack and go home until next year at least.

Not sure about that, would love to have seen Max his real race pace, he was much faster then the Ferrari.

littlebigcat
littlebigcat

I think it might be likely for the first time this season Gasly has had an equally upgraded car

nacho
nacho

I don't think Bottas did too bad and even repassed Hamilton and after the pitstop he managed the gap so Hamilton wouldn't jump him. It will remain a mystery if he would have been able to keep Hamilton behind after that.

Big Tea

littlebigcat wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 20:32
I think it might be likely for the first time this season Gasly has had an equally upgraded car
Or the first time the car had an upgraded Gasly?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ispano6 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 19:34
It could have been Bottas that was left out. Bottas was screwed with going medium->medium and pitting first.
Bottas went on mediums because the safety car hadn't happened yet. Can't blame the team for that.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

epo
epo

littlebigcat wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 20:32
Yes, I think Gasly always had a slower car because they Max is their favorite, how naughty right? Pretty sure Gasly will be bang on with an equal car and much faster.
Max is just a dirty racer, nobody likes him and now Gasly showed he's faster and better and a clean driver so pretty sure all B stuff goes to Max now, hail Gasly!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ispano6 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 19:39

Bottas was screwed by strategy not SC. I never said Bottas was robbed by the safety car.
Max was robbed by Vettel. Bottas, well, by his own team and strategy.
Hamilton was gifted an easy win without a fight at the end.
Leclerc assumed 3rd with Max getting punted by Vettel.
Sorry, but Bottas wasn't screwed by strategy. The team pitted him on schedule before the safety car happened. Hamilton was lucky because the safety car happened as he was approaching the pit lane entry. But he'd made that luck by staying fast on an older tyre.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.