2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
iotar__

Re: 2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

- What a Mercedes manufactured farce F1 has become #-o . Where is James "It's James" Vowles now? If you didn't expect that I have a bridge to sell.

- Vettel is driving at his usual level. Worth every cent of his 30+ million and a decade of Ferrari's involvement in F1. Blame the close second best car for that.

NathanOlder

ispano6 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 19:18
GPR -A wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 18:33
ispano6 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 18:29

Leclerc's driving was borderline questionable a few moments. Light a fire in Verstappen though, and Leclerc may come to regret it.
Light a fire and bring the crashator of the yesteryear back! That would be fun to watch. :lol:

Today he was schooled though.
Nah, he was robbed. As was Bottas. Hamilton and Leclerc were gifted, thus the deflated feeling at the end. First half was epic, for sure, and the result nice for British and Hamilton fans.
only you were deflated buddy. 140,000 track side were overjoyed with the on track action today.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

TAG

V12-POWER wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 20:52
Some serious Hamilton ass kissing...

People here have the AUDACITY to say he would have certainly won even without SC. Others affirm Bottas is “useless” and that he has lost the WDC already.
The race I watched had Hamilton pressuring Bottas into multiple lock ups during the initial laps and constantly under pressure, within the DRS window for the majority of the first stint with a few laps of backing off to cool the car. Bottas isn't useless, he's actually done an almost perfect job for the team all season long with Mercedes at 400+ points out of a possible 430.

Hamilton has been relatively flawless and should be praised for it. As he should for the multiple records he'll hold when he finally decides to hang up his driving shoes.

You have your opinion, let others have theirs, but I'd take note, the numbers kind of cut your opinions off at the legs. I'm sorry you couldn't enjoy today's race for what it was, good ol' fashion solid F1 racing.
Last edited by TAG on 14 Jul 2019, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

NathanOlder

falonso81 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 19:25
NathanOlder wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 18:20
falonso81 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:07
Max was way off line and hit the brakes way too early. There was no way he could make the chicane. Of course the driver from behind will get the penalty.
To make the corner, he had to brake early, which is what he did, as you said. Your statement contradicts itself badly.
Sorry if my comment is not coming across (english is not my main language). I wanted to say that if he braked normally he would not have made the corner because he was all the way to the inside, he would have gone straight. Thats why he braked earlier and Vettel got caught off guard. Still i am amazed at the amount of risk Verstappen puts through in his defensive moves. Its like he only cares not to be overtaken at all costs.
Ah ok, in that case i fully agree, and I agree with the comment about Max. Its like he can't bare the thought of being overtaken.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

maxxer
maxxer

just clost the thread the race is over all this nonsense from fanboys being upset is getting boring

TAG

NathanOlder wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 21:40
Ah ok, in that case i fully agree, and I agree with the comment about Max. Its like he can't bare the thought of being overtaken.
Even by a back marker. Verstappen is very talented but until we see him fighting for a championship we won't know his true mettle. He seem to have a bit of a bone to pick with the Ferrari boys though. Whenever he's racing Hamilton they are very good clean battles.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

marvin78
marvin78

Apart from all the rest, Vettel did a great job in the first stint on soft. Nobody thought they could last that long. We have to hand him that.

Wynters
Wynters

Anyone know what happened between Norris and Albon in the pits?

zibby43
zibby43

On a lighter note, we had the fastest pit stop ever today (previous record was 1.92s with Williams and Massa with the old, smaller tires):

RZS10

RZS10 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:26
If i'm not mistaken Verstappen never moved right/left but kept going straight towards the apex (i'd love to see an onboard from Max to confirm this) and obviously had to brake earlier being so far off line (something Vettel should have taken into account) - The track has a slight kink there, the gap which Vettel supposedly saw was never there.
https://i.imgur.com/amyunvh.png
With all those angles i understand why Vettel thought he might go to the left (he still should have known the track's layout and that the gap would disappear by itself)

[edit: AMuS quotes him as saying "I saw a gap that wasn't there."]

Max did turn left slightly to follow the track layout but only aimed towards the apex and never closed that gap aggressively or anything like that, the angle at ~2:00min (2nd video) https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... gXrJ2.html shows this quite well

This was his trajectory up until the contact

Both cars

The interesting thing is that there was actually enough room for a car on the left so Vettel could have potentially tried to avoid contact by going left but that's easy to say/write now
Last edited by RZS10 on 14 Jul 2019, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.

epo
epo

RZS10 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 22:58
RZS10 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:26
If i'm not mistaken Verstappen never moved right/left but kept going straight towards the apex (i'd love to see an onboard from Max to confirm this) and obviously had to brake earlier being so far off line (something Vettel should have taken into account) - The track has a slight kink there, the gap which Vettel supposedly saw was never there.
https://i.imgur.com/amyunvh.png
With all those angles i understand why Vettel thought he might go to the left (he still should have known the track's layout and that the gap would disappear by itself)

Max did turn left slightly to follow the track layout but only aimed towards the apex and never closed that gap aggressively or anything like that, the angle at ~2:00min (2nd video) https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... gXrJ2.html shows this quite well

https://i.imgur.com/Cm4YWgK.png

Both cars
https://i.imgur.com/o9Oaxf8.png

The interesting thing is that there was actually enough room for a car on the left so Vettel could have potentially tried to avoid contact by going left but that's easy to say/write now
Onboard sound from Vettel during the crash

https://streamable.com/tyg3t

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

RZS10 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 22:58

https://i.imgur.com/Cm4YWgK.png

Both cars
https://i.imgur.com/o9Oaxf8.png
Which shows that Max actually followed an almost exact straight line. Vettel was the one moving around.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

apexcontrol
apexcontrol

good race good fight, ah finaly we see i new generation coming, that was wheel banging racing !!!!! like schumi and mika and prost en senna did.

very glad to see the next generation is knows how to race, and we will be saying good by to this crappy generation

senna/prost schumi/mika charles/verstappen.

hope more of these races, good show good fights

zeph
zeph

I’m watching the race now, I ff-ing hate race control for that totally UNNECESSARY safety car. Giovinazzi’s car was lightyears away from the track, what BS.

This really screws up Bottas and Leclerc who were both doing a stellar job against Hamilton and Verstappen respectively.