2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Re: 2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

Wynters wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 15:12
Just rewatched the last few laps. Bottas came out on Softs with seven laps to go and a gap of +22 seconds to Hamilton. He finished the race nearly 25 seconds behind and barely got closer than +21 seconds throughout his stint.
Hamilton was ‘on it’ at Silverstone. Trading fastest laps with a team mate who was on better rubber. Then he bangs in a fastest lap on 32 lap old Hard tyres. That’s really got to make Bottas question himself but I think he was just ‘unplayable’ on Sunday to quote other sports.

I imagine former drivers, and writers alongside engineers, pit crews and team bosses up and down the grid asked the same collective question of ‘how?’ after his last lap time.

Andres125sx

Jolle wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 15:25
marvin78 wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 14:44
NathanOlder wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 14:15

Lewis making a mistake never happens
That is just wrong. They all do in the heat. Mostly Hamiltons mistakes are not ruining races but he does do mistakes. For example he did several of them in Austria and in Canada.

That's not against Hamilton, but it's just not true that there is a driver without mistakes. They all do it, they all have several of them in every race. Let's not make a god, where is no one. He is a human. A very good racer but a human.

And in that special scene it was very clear to me, that it was not over. Showing the crowd was just bad.
let's put in other words: Hamilton has reached a level of perfection never seen before in F1. At the moment he's the most complete driver in the history of the sport. The car control of Clark and Senna, the endurance of Schumacher, the economical driving of Prost, the persistence of Mansell and Villeneuve combined with he reliability of Hamilton.
Reliability? Lewis? Don´t think so, he´s probably one of the fastest ever but consistency has never been his strong point. But nowadays with current Mercedes domination and also the formula forcing drivers to race several seconds slower than they could to manage tires and fuel, driver mistakes are minimized. He´s the fastest on the grid, with the fastest car, so he does not even need to push himself to the limit that often wich again minimize driver mistakes.

Don´t take me wrong, IMO he´s the best on current grid, at least while Max and Charles continue proving their talent on next seasons and specially when they fight for titles. Right now Lewis is the reference. But consistency has never been his strong point

If you want to mention someone as a consistency reference, IMHO it´s Alonso. He always get the best of his car, no matter if it´s one of the best or a poor midfielder, with any car, and also at every race. He´s the definition of consistency on a racing driver, he always delivers, and I´m using always consciously, there will be some exception on his long career obviously, but no other driver get close to his percentage in this aspect I think

Andres125sx

FrukostScones wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 14:46
NathanOlder wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 14:15
I get why people were annoyed about the camera cutting to the crowd.

But people are missing the fact that the move was done and dusted, then the camera cut away. 99% of the time, that's fine.

The problem on sunday was as soon as the move was done, Lewis made a mistake and let Bottas back in, Lewis making a mistake never happens so the director had every right to cut away and show the British crowd cheering on the British driver taking the lead of the British grand Prix.
haha, good laugh.
FOM TV director is a disgrace and we all know it.
Well, that´s going a bit too far for a camera switch error on a broadcast wich perform hundreds. I also screamed when they went to the crowd, but it must be pretty difficult following the race while watching all the cameras that can go live next.

Overal I think they did a pretty good job, we enjoyed all important battles live, and there was some at this race

dans79

The Italian press is hammering on Vettel again!

https://www.grandprix.com/news/italy-lo ... ettel.html
"Ferrari has a new leader," said the authoritative La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"Leclerc is combative and energetic and has finally captured the heart of the Ferrari fans," it added, describing Vettel as "again disastrous" last Sunday.

"Vettel has shown that he is not the driver that Ferrari wants. It is now clear that something is no longer working."
197 104 103 7

Jolle
Jolle

Andres125sx wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 16:12
Jolle wrote:
marvin78 wrote:

That is just wrong. They all do in the heat. Mostly Hamiltons mistakes are not ruining races but he does do mistakes. For example he did several of them in Austria and in Canada.

That's not against Hamilton, but it's just not true that there is a driver without mistakes. They all do it, they all have several of them in every race. Let's not make a god, where is no one. He is a human. A very good racer but a human.

And in that special scene it was very clear to me, that it was not over. Showing the crowd was just bad.
let's put in other words: Hamilton has reached a level of perfection never seen before in F1. At the moment he's the most complete driver in the history of the sport. The car control of Clark and Senna, the endurance of Schumacher, the economical driving of Prost, the persistence of Mansell and Villeneuve combined with he reliability of Hamilton.
Reliability? Lewis? Don´t think so, he´s probably one of the fastest ever but consistency has never been his strong point. But nowadays with current Mercedes domination and also the formula forcing drivers to race several seconds slower than they could to manage tires and fuel, driver mistakes are minimized. He´s the fastest on the grid, with the fastest car, so he does not even need to push himself to the limit that often wich again minimize driver mistakes.

Don´t take me wrong, IMO he´s the best on current grid, at least while Max and Charles continue proving their talent on next seasons and specially when they fight for titles. Right now Lewis is the reference. But consistency has never been his strong point

If you want to mention someone as a consistency reference, IMHO it´s Alonso. He always get the best of his car, no matter if it´s one of the best or a poor midfielder, with any car, and also at every race. He´s the definition of consistency on a racing driver, he always delivers, and I´m using always consciously, there will be some exception on his long career obviously, but no other driver get close to his percentage in this aspect I think
Winning 53 of his last 100 races and only crashing out once, is pretty reliable.

Sierra117

Ah yes, we've finally arrived at the last stage of every topic's life cycle - Driver Wars!
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Jolle
Jolle

Sierra117 wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 16:50
Ah yes, we've finally arrived at the last stage of every topic's life cycle - Driver Wars!
More a "yes but Alonso".... :D

sosic2121
sosic2121

falonso81 wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 22:06
sosic2121 wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 21:55
When I raised this question I was told by fellow member that at this corner is explicitly allowed to go outside of track.
F1 Rules at its finest. :mrgreen:
Is it also allowed when you make an overtaking move?
I can not comprehend how a rule has exceptions here and there. What is the point in having that rule in the first place? #-o
I agree. Maybe there should be exception for T4-T5 in Canada =D>

SiLo

Jolle wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 17:00
Sierra117 wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 16:50
More a "yes but Alonso".... :D
It always happens. Shame he was consistent in his toxic attitude which ended up in him moving from team to team.
Felipe Baby!

dans79

sosic2121 wrote:
When I raised this question I was told by fellow member that at this corner is explicitly allowed to go outside of track.
Leaving the track in certain corners goes unpunished, because doing so is considered punishment itself (usually because it's slower than taking the corner normally).

falonso81 wrote:
As far as I'm aware overtaking off the track is only allowed if the person you overtook was off the track as well.

falonso81 wrote:
I can not comprehend how a rule has exceptions here and there. What is the point in having that rule in the first place?
Some thing can't be dumbed-down to black or white, for example.
  • If I walk up and shoot someone and they die, I'm a murder.
  • If someone tries to assault me but I shoot them once and they die, it's self defense. I did nothing wrong and walk away, even though I killed someone.
  • If someone tries to rob/assault me but I unload an entire clip into them, then what happens to me is a lot more uncertain.
shades of grey!
197 104 103 7

izzy
izzy

Andres125sx wrote:

Fernando was very consistent, incredibly intense all through a race, but Lewis is the most consistent driver there has ever been in F1. I don't think there are any actual stats? but he hardly ever crashes, i mean Canada FP2 was a huge surprise. Even in his first years he hardly ever had contact, Max Mosley had to resort to penalising him (Ron) when he didn't have any contact!!

And Lewis is a big part of the success culture at Mercedes. The team all know that if they give him a car he will win with it, but imagine how they must feel at Ferrari, or Red Bull! Seb, Max, they might crash their beautiful car, or they might not. Lewis will almost always do the smart thing, as we just saw twice in one race

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Hamilton always delivers, even when he is whining, complaining on the radio, he still is putting down great laps. He hardly made any mistakes last years, always survives battles. Don’t forget he has strong teammates in Button, Rosberg & Bottas.

GPR-A

Andres125sx wrote:
Jolle wrote:
marvin78 wrote:

I think it is a fair analysis. The thing that I have seen with Lewis over the years is that, he has disregard for some circuits as they are his bogey circuits like Bahrain and Russia.

It is true that the modern cars require a hell of a lot of taking care of due to various issues like fuel and reliability that do not force the leading driver to make mistakes. In the past generation with re-fueling, there was a rush to push the car due to differing strategies and drivers had to be least bothered about 3 PU, gear box change penalties, fuel saving, tyre saving and all that crap, due to which there was always an opportunity to make mistake.

Lewis might still be able to come out a winner even if we bring the cars back from 2000s due to his current maturity. He has now minimized those off weekend that used to bother him in the previous years.

Alonso was definitely the most consistent driver that was on the grid and always optimized the outcome from his equipment with no weakness whatsoever. He had mastered those blinding starts off the grid!

ME4ME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwS8rNEm-Us

What a race! Also nice overtake from Albon =D>

jz11
jz11

dans79 wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 18:06
sosic2121 wrote:
Leaving the track in certain corners goes unpunished, because doing so is considered punishment itself (usually because it's slower than taking the corner normally).

falonso81 wrote:
As far as I'm aware overtaking off the track is only allowed if the person you overtook was off the track as well.

Some thing can't be dumbed-down to black or white, for example.

shades of grey!
I'm not quite sure how much more black and white can this get:

here is another thought - since we don't really know which radio messages aired and when, and that maybe there was a longer conversation going on after the crash, it wouldn't be too unreasonable to think that Vettel may have expected the place be handed back to him, since he didn't leave the track when the overtake happened, and it would probably happen if there was someone else in the other car, not Max