2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ispano6

Re: 2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

komninosm wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 23:55
ispano6 wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 09:29
Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 09:18
The strategy meeting is both drivers and their race engineers sitting down together. Both knew what the other was doing and both went their way.

Or are you suggesting that the management came in and said "let's screw Bottas, just for kicks and giggles"?
1.Explain the reasoning for "splitting" strategies (to make the racing interesting is BS).
2.In what way is MED-MED-(SOFT/HARD) better than MED-HARD-(MED/SOFT)?
3.Which of the two has the option for a one stopper? Hrmmm.
2. HARD is slower than MED often...
It is exactly that presumption that should be challenged and the secret to success this season has been getting the hard tire in the optimal operational temp and keeping them there during the race.
The fact that the last two race fastest laps were set on the hard compound speaks to the durability of the tire and the consistent lap times they can deliver while pushed hard. The only real weaknesses to the hard compound is getting it into working range and flat spotting a tire that results in vibrations that don't subside until the carcass has degraded to a certain point.

turbof1

turbof1 wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 15:37
Alright, seems this is one of those days: everybody wants to get away from the discussion, but pride and ego is getting into the way. So let me put out a Moderator Directive -wink- out there and say we are now officially moving on. No ifs and buts, the vettel-verstappen incident ends here.
If I have to repeat myself one more time, I'll be removing posts.
#AeroFrodo

RZS10

izzy wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 09:39
How did you do that graphic? It's pretty cool, tho I'd have said that up towards Vale they were closer to the left edge of the track
I hope that answering this isn't against turbof1's plea (?) i'll just show how i did it without commenting any further on the matter at hand ... so here you go:

first i took a bunch of screenshots (redone for this purpose with just six)

then i scaled and distorted every single one using one as reference, aligning them along the white lines and other easily identifiable objects so that they resulted in one image - i made sure that the white lines were as perfectly aligned as possible in the area of the cars to make sure they're in the right spot

here with a stroke around each screenshot to highlight where they went

I then erased the parts of the screenshots that omitted the cars in those below in the layer hierarchy/earlier on track

And just shortly addressing the latter part of the quote: The way i did this the cars' positions are almost perfectly representative of where they were on track at that given time as i did not take any liberties with the positioning ... there is some margin of error because of the scaling of course but i think that at first glance it's hard to tell that it's a composition from many images (2nd pic in this post)

izzy

RZS10 wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 21:52
I hope that answering this isn't against turbof1's plea (?) i'll just show how i did it without commenting any further on the matter at hand ... so here you go:

first i took a bunch of screenshots (redone for this purpose with just six)
https://i.imgur.com/aRcd0lm.jpg

then i scaled and distorted every single one using one as reference, aligning them along the white lines and other easily identifiable objects so that they resulted in one image - i made sure that the white lines were as perfectly aligned as possible in the area of the cars
https://i.imgur.com/Adfg69d.png

here with a stroke around each screenshot to highlight where they went
https://i.imgur.com/DDpABf3.png

I then erased the parts of the screenshots that omitted the cars in those below in the layer hierarchy/earlier on track
https://i.imgur.com/OqMRcKI.png

And just shortly addressing the latter part of the quote: The way i did this the cars' positions are almost perfectly representative of where they were on track at that given time as i did not take any liberties with the positioning ... there is some margin of error because of the scaling of course but i think that at first glance it's hard to tell that it's a composition from many images (2nd pic in this post)
that was awesome, respect, and generally it's been a pretty good discussion with everybody i think. we don't all have to agree to enjoy chatting and debating F1 to keep us going between races do we

RZS10

not enough back to back races ... lol

hollus

Thank you gents for restraining from further V vs. V.
And now moving on, many other things happened in the race, or so I’ve heard.
Rivals, not enemies.

drunkf1fan

Lets all go back to laughing at Grosjean in FP1. More seriously though there are a lot of rumours going around that Grosjean may be/have been fired over, well I don't think it will be the race incident itself but the fact that the race incident would be considered the last straw in a long line of ridiculous things Grosjean does.

I personally couldn't see how Steiner, particularly with how brutal he was towards Grosjean within the Haas team as shown via the netflix docu, actually kept Grosjean around for this season to begin with. Surely the way he treated Grosjean and frankly the way the paddock reacts to Grosjean incidents, basically no one has any respect for him and the team knows the boss has zero faith in him. Wouldn't they have been better off bringing in a replacement over winter?

dans79

drunkf1fan wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 23:15
Lets all go back to laughing at Grosjean in FP1. More seriously though there are a lot of rumours going around that Grosjean may be/have been fired over, well I don't think it will be the race incident itself but the fact that the race incident would be considered the last straw in a long line of ridiculous things Grosjean does.
Considering he caused this, and got a one race ban for his efforts, I'm surprised he's survived as long as he has!
197 104 103 7

Jolle

drunkf1fan wrote:

I personally couldn't see how Steiner, particularly with how brutal he was towards Grosjean within the Haas team as shown via the netflix docu, actually kept Grosjean around for this season to begin with. Surely the way he treated Grosjean and frankly the way the paddock reacts to Grosjean incidents, basically no one has any respect for him and the team knows the boss has zero faith in him. Wouldn't they have been better off bringing in a replacement over winter?
There aren't that much options and where HAAS is now and where they expected to be a few years ago, Grosjean isn't such a bad deal. I think they had a vision that they would be more competitive now and they would have a rookie driver next to one of their more experienced drivers. But... most drivers with a super licence are under contract with other teams or are simply not fast enough. Pascal Wehrlein is perhaps the only viable option (And is under contract at Ferrari at the moment)

drunkf1fan

dans79 wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 23:29
drunkf1fan wrote:
Considering he caused this, and got a one race ban for his efforts, I'm surprised he's survived as long as he has!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_P-8SCst_U
I'm still perplexed by it. He claims stuff like it wasn't deliberate... I mean Hamilton is not invisible, he absolutely rams across the track to pressure him then pushes him off the track into an upcoming tight slow right hand turn... what he's doing is insanely, disgustingly dangerous and very deliberate. That was a move that I absolutely wouldn't have cared if simply had his super licence taken away. Still crashed into people stupidly later that very year. Pretty sure his dumb accelerating up the inside of T1 in Japan smashes Webber out of the race.

His days of thunder move last year, it's a joke to begin with that a tiny twitch from Magnussen causes him to lose it at all, let alone when he had a huge run off area he could have just turned smoothly into to keep control but avoid a potential big spin out, but he loses it off a nothing twitch then floors it and lays down an incredibly dangerous smoke screen. Lucky no one got seriously hurt going through there, could have easily taken out a half dozen guys with lots of secondary impacts and cars flying over cars.

Shrieker

drunkf1fan wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 00:18

His days of thunder move last year, it's a joke to begin with that a tiny twitch from Magnussen causes him to lose it at all, let alone when he had a huge run off area he could have just turned smoothly into to keep control but avoid a potential big spin out, but he loses it off a nothing twitch then floors it and lays down an incredibly dangerous smoke screen. Lucky no one got seriously hurt going through there, could have easily taken out a half dozen guys with lots of secondary impacts and cars flying over cars.
Grosjean's carrier should've ended right there and then. Especially in light of what happened at Spa. I'm amazed he didn't even receive so much as a race ban. That was even worse than the sh!t he pulled at Spa...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

sosic2121

dans79 wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 23:29
drunkf1fan wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_P-8SCst_U
I disagree. Of course it's 100% his fault, but these kind of moves happen basically every weekend and mostly go unpunished.

I don't understand why he got a race ban. I mean, if he crashed into Lewis and others dodged them, would he get the same penalty? I honestly believe he wouldn't, and that's the sad state of F1.

dans79

sosic2121 wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 16:31
I don't understand why he got a race ban. I mean, if he crashed into Lewis and others dodged them, would he get the same penalty? I honestly believe he wouldn't, and that's the sad state of F1.
He got the ban and a 50,000 Euro fine, because it was a serious lapse in judgment.
  1. He was pushing a driver who he was overlapped with off the track, while on the strait. This alone is a blatant and easily avoidable rule violation.
  2. No other cars where close to him, so it can't be put down to an accident because he was distracted by other cars.
  3. it was on lap one at the first corner, when the field is the most bunched up, and at risk. Not to mention the nature of the turn imposes additional risks.
This is what the stewards had to say.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/19458954
"The stewards regard this incident as an extremely serious breach of the regulations, which had the potential to cause injury to others," read a statement from the FIA, the sport's governing body.
You also need to consider that last year he came very close to a mandatory ban.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... qaE46.html
After speaking to both men and reviewing video evidence, the stewards determined that Grosjean was at fault, but acknowledged that he had lifted and braked early in an effort to avoid contact, and hence decided to award him just the one penalty point. He has now received 10 in the past 12 months – just two short of the tally that triggers an automatic one-race ban.
197 104 103 7

izzy

sosic2121 wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 16:31
I disagree. Of course it's 100% his fault, but these kind of moves happen basically every weekend and mostly go unpunished.

it was because he'd had several incidents and that was the final straw. Even quite recently he was saying Lewis ought to have moved over and not held his line! He's got a general problem that he's had psychological help with, over his 'space perception', but the problem is still there, some kind of entitlement, he has contact or these weird mistakes like the pitlane or Baku, won't let anyone go round the outside etc etc. It's a pity as he's quick and seems a nice guy out of the car but half the time his team might as well not bother bringing the car! and he's 33 and not going to get any better

tho I do agree taking out 2 WDC's was probably a factor and stewards have generally been influenced by status when they shouldn't be, but the race ban did seem to help for a bit I think

RZS10

Grosjean's main issue seems to be that he firmly believes it is never his fault ... last year he took out Sainz after losing the rear slightly through Copse and claimed Sainz turned in on him ... or when he lost the car in Baku and said it was Ericsson ... dude has serious issues ... but maybe this should rather be discussed in a "Does Romain Grosjean have brain damage" thread