2019 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Squid

Re: 2019 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

gdanielwesley wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 16:22
marvin78 wrote:Plus Ferrari made several mistakes at Pitstops. It cost Vettel and Leclerc positions.
But for a change they were aggressive..it was very unusual to see them making bold decisions, but then again they had nothing to loose with Vettel.

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk
That's because it was Vettel calling all the shots, telling his race engineer when he would be stopping and which tyres to put on. Ferrari made virtually no strategic decisions during the entire race.

Vettel came up with his own strategy while driving a near flawless race in mixed conditions and it took him for P20 to P2. I don't think anything else needs to be said.

e30ernest

Espresso wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 23:18
Charles is a hothead with a self-destructive character piling the pressure on himself. And sadly enough Ferrari is not a 'driver development arena' like Red Bull. I don't get the feeling he gets guided. He should get some effective anger management.
Given his circumstances, I actually find Leclerc to be really cool and level-headed. His mistakes are pretty much due to inexperience but he is getting better every race.

If anyone needs anger management, it's this guy.

Squid

Why does criticism of one driver have to be "rebutted" with criticism of the other? For ---'s sake people, grow up and realize that this game of throwing --- over the wall is just petty.

Realize that criticizing your favorite driver is not a personal attack on you or your beliefs. Realize that someone criticizing your driver might have an actual point and is not just a fanboy of the "other". Realize that whataboutism is not a valid argument and only hurts the discussion as a whole.

You think Vettel and Leclerc are constantly throwing shade at each other? Of course they aren't, they get along just fine. They ask about each other on radio when one has a problem and express sympathy. You guys could learn something from your heroes.

SAEED

Squid wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 00:49
gdanielwesley wrote:
marvin78 wrote:Plus Ferrari made several mistakes at Pitstops. It cost Vettel and Leclerc positions.
But for a change they were aggressive..it was very unusual to see them making bold decisions, but then again they had nothing to loose with Vettel.

That's because it was Vettel calling all the shots, telling his race engineer when he would be stopping and which tyres to put on. Ferrari made virtually no strategic decisions during the entire race.

Vettel came up with his own strategy while driving a near flawless race in mixed conditions and it took him for P20 to P2. I don't think anything else needs to be said.
I think in mixed or wet conditions engineers rely on drivers' feeling a bit more than they normally do.

Espresso

Capharol wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 23:47
oh come on.... Verstappen wasn't any different, calling a steward "Moron", threatining the press to "Butthead someone", pushing and shoving Ocon ..... Drivers are humans and humans have emotion, it is even proven that it is bad not to let out your frustation .... so please let Leclerc be as he is or are we telling you to change ?
I'm not telling it's bad to let out frustration or happines. You keep pulling words out of context all the time.
I mentioned Charles should get hold of his self destructiveness. If, how and when is up to him. I just concluded if he doesn't it would be suicidal to his career. So it's up to LeClerc what he does.

Or do you want to take my words out of context again?

Let put it into perspective:

Moron: About a steward who is biased and has a grudge against him. That steward that got overruled by other stewards, the one who went to a team on own initiative to lodge an 'investigation' against Max (and got overruled by Toto and Nikki)

Butthead someone: That was clearly 100% a joke during the press conference.

Shoving Ocon:
Check the footage how sneaky Ocon is using (fighting with) words to get Max to explode, knowing he was angry.
Numerous (ex) F1 pilots commented Max was really really 'controlled' by only giving Ocon a little shove, Ocon in turn did a great stage perfomance. Colleagues words were similar to:"If I was Max I'd already hit him in the....."

@e30ernest +1 Great historical footage :mrgreen:

And for the dragstrip (outside the race track) to blame, it is called track limit controls! :mrgreen:

Source:
Formula 1 race director Michael Masi believes there was nothing wrong with the controversial 'drag strip' area at the Hockenheim circuit, despite it being blasted as "unacceptable" by Charles Leclerc.

Leclerc was one of several drivers who found themselves in trouble after running wide at the final sequence of corners and skidding across a wet area of run-off.

Lewis Hamilton and Nico Hulkenberg both also crashed there, while Carlos Sainz, Kimi Raikkonen and Lando Norris
all had incidents with the slippery area – that is used as part of the track's drag strip – holding rain water.

Masi was aware of the driver concerns about the situation and conducted a post-race inspection of the area, but he insisted it was no different to run-off areas at other tracks.

"The drag strip looks fine," said Masi. "We inspected it the other day and had a look again post race with the water on it. It is fine.

"Even Sebastian [Vettel] is quoted as saying that it is normally one of the grippiest parts of the track and it is no different to any of the other painted run-off, to be quite honest.

"I think it was one of those ones where if put water on painted run-off then, as much as you can do anything to make sure it is anti slip paint, it is still more slippery than unpainted tarmac."

Asked if his main message for drivers was to not run off the circuit, Masi said: "Correct. It is called track limit controls!"

While the drag strip area came in for some criticism, Masi has said that drivers are normally more open to have run-off areas that punish them for mistakes – like there was in Austria.

"They may claim it is too dangerous but from our end, using the Austrian example, the drivers were all quite pleased with it, even with the bumps and that," he said.

"It punishes them for making mistakes and it was a similar way here. We saw the other implementation we had to do regarding Turn 1 with the track limits side.

"You are balancing it to a degree, but credit where it is due, all 20 drivers have been very consistent in their views that if they run off track there should be a consequences from doing it.

"Maybe straight after a race they may have a different view about the way it has affected them, but sitting down individually with them and as a group that has been consistent in their view and that hasn't changed."

Norris said he nearly crashed out of the race on his way to the grid after experimenting to see how much grip there was on the run off area.

"We have an onboard we have to watch, of one magic lap from Fernando [Alonso] when he was at Ferrari, and he goes two wheels onto the kerb onto the drag strip," explained Norris.

"On my lap to the grid I tried it, and I genuinely thought I was going to be out of the race before I'd even started. I pulled the clutch in, full opposite lock – and I'm not exaggerating, I shat myself. I was like "oh ---, this is not gonna be good."

"All the guys were waiting there to put me on my jacks and into position, and it was the biggest fright of my life.

"So yeah, from my side I knew that straight away, obviously I wasn't gonna tell anyone because I'll let them try it out, but every person that made a small mistake, lost it or understeered in the last two corners went onto the drag strip and you just see there's nothing you can do.

"It's probably quite dangerous to be honest, because you just don't slow down, there's tarmac run-off there that you're approaching at a decent speed. And once you hit it, you can't do anything. It's something I think needs to be changed for next time."
Source: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/germ ... 49/?nrt=54
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

izzy

Charles is only 21, there are reasons the top teams don't normally take drivers this age! Same with Max. But they are FAST, is the temptation...

And the stewards have given them carte blanche to play bumper cars, so i blame them more than the lads, but anyway Ferrari are onto a great lineup next year imo

selvam_e2002

I don't think so that ferrari having great line up for next year.

It is racing but you need to have sense in vet race not to make mistake by trying over smart or try to showcase your self to prove. It is pretty much suitable for Lecrec.

See how Vettel come and collected in the German race? he scored 2nd position but lecrec panicked because he thinks he has to prove him self in ferrari that he is better than vettel!

It seems early stage of Max when he drove for RedBul to prove him self. But Max got out very quickly and got name for him. Now he is not overdriving but lecrec is.

I don't think Ferrari will challenge with these two guys with Merc either of them should understand and help ferrari to achieve greater point.

Now Max in third place overtook lecrec and vettel.

If Ferrari want to close with Merc, they should avoid team's and driver mistakes. It is more than enough.

If they keep lecrec for next two years and still he is making these kind of mistake, the patient will run out in Ferrari and he will get more pressure compared to Vettel getting now. Not good for him. and he will like Stoffell in Meclaren.

izzy

selvam_e2002 wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 12:13
i reckon Charles next year will be like Max this year. Max is still 21, he bumped with Sainz in Bahrain and had a pointless little feud with Stroll in Spain for example, last year he had incidents in half the races, he's not the finished article yet, same as Charles. Charles could've had a couple of wins already and that'd make him look different.

Seb, well he has Mattia now and the team regrouping, hopefully he won't feel as much need to steer everything in the team, tho he does drive quite aggressively so he will always have incidents but that can pay off like last Sunday as you say. And he is fast. So 2 FAST drivers! it could be worse :) They race reasonably cleanly with each other too. So i think they compare quite okay with Lewis/Valtteri and Max/whoever.

The main thing, it seems to me, is not the drivers it's the culture Mattia can build in the team and can he make it super positive and supportive like Brawn/Toto and Christian/Adrian have made theirs

turbof1

In my opinion, when some very experienced people like Hulkenberg, Bottas and Hamilton crash, we shouldn't be that critical for Charles. How many have sliddered off the track where Charles did?

Charles definitely has the speed. Yes, he does have some rough edges, but he'll get rid of those. He's also very self-critical. Anyone saw how angry he was at himself for the crash?
#AeroFrodo

Midi

turbof1 wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 13:27
In my opinion, when some very experienced people like Hulkenberg, Bottas and Hamilton crash, we shouldn't be that critical for Charles. How many have sliddered off the track where Charles did?

Charles definitely has the speed. Yes, he does have some rough edges, but he'll get rid of those. He's also very self-critical. Anyone saw how angry he was at himself for the crash?
100% agree but apparently to some others this self criticism comes across as self destructiveness.

I think the parallels with Verstappens first F1 years are quite obvious and he has been able to progress from that superbly. Lets give Leclerc some time as well, if after a few years he is still making the same mistakes then the criticism is understandable.

selvam_e2002

Max at RB with less or no pressure at all, but in Ferrai you cannot get same working environment. Thats makes more difference and as you said let see how he is progressing.

In my opening, it is very difficult to groom a Fresher driver in Ferrari!!!! Thats why all these years, Ferrari recruiting experienced drivers.

I am afraid of repeating of Stoffel Vandroome at Meclaren in Ferrari for Lecrec........

diffuser

Midi wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 10:17
Espresso wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 10:00

//

To end Charles..what a bloody remark to first (seemingly) take the blame. Then secondly decide to blame it on the circuit..."Whats a dragstrip doing there...if it was normal asfalt I could have got back on track."

Wake up Charles...If you take the blame 100%....don't find any stupid excuse.
off-track=off-track, no other excuse. Next year in Zandvoort......no asfalt, you can blame the FIA and the Italian track architects for that....
Yes Charles made a few mistakes and the final one cost him his race but its not that no one else made mistakes and in my opinion he clearly stated he was to blame in the first place. So no reason to overreact.
Almost everyone made mistakes. Some where just unlucky in the location of them.

Espresso

Squid wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 00:49
gdanielwesley wrote:

To add to this story:

Yes it was Vettel checking everything and making decisions....

Q: "How did you know to switch to intermediates?"
Seb: "Well I was driving around. Got a few drops on my visor and was trying to decide what was best. Then I passed the grandstand, looked at the people and saw nobody holding an umbrella...."

Amazing skills 'surveying' his surrounding whilst driving an F1 car in the wet.
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

Big Tea

Is there a roof on the grandstand? :D
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Capharol

izzy wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 13:05
selvam_e2002 wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 12:13
last year he had incidents in half the races,
if this is reffered to Max, you are mistaken it was till FP3 of Monaco and on my calender Monaco isn't half way in the year .....