2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mansell89
Mansell89

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Darth-Piekus wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 21:39
Let's say next year or 2021 the car is a title contender. Would Fernando Alonso be as good as he was if he comes back considering that age might play a role?
I’d personally love to see Alonso in a race winning car again fighting with the top drivers. However, I think McLaren made it pretty clear that it won’t be with them after they signed Lando and Carlos extensions and said they “would not stand in Fernando’s way if he wanted a race seat elsewhere in F1”.

Off topic, but I wouldn’t it be spectacular to see him in the other Red Bull next to Max. Two natural born talents at different ends of their career.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I think that Alonso got burnt with McLaren, 3 years with Honda plus Indy failure, I don't think he wants back in McLaren.

M840TR
M840TR

Sainz: “I was told that in the last 10 laps of the first stint we were faster than the Ferraris, opening a big gap with the guys behind, and finishing P5 in a normal race, as i said, is really, really good news.”
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 9tySX.html

RonDennis
RonDennis

Saw the interview with Seidl today on Dutch television and McLaren is fully focused on Sainz and Norris. "We can make them stars of the sport", were his words. I personally don't see Alonso coming back, at least not with McLaren. The team is in a good position right now. Two good drivers that are young and are not (yet) demanding victories or podiums. Seidl looks like a great addition and Key has done some great things at all of his teams. Zak Brown has done a really, really good job.

McG

RonDennis wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 19:01
McG wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 17:22
RonDennis wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 17:14

More sponsor money doesn’t automatically mean a higher budget. It could also result in less money from the shareholders.
Where do you pull this crap from.
More sponsor money will definitely mean a bigger budget. If anything, the shareholders will increase the budget.
That's because you don't know much how about how this world operates.
I know how you operate, and that's barely. You just spout whatever random thing comes into your mind. Try sometime to inform yourself before posting.
F1 is dead.

M840TR
M840TR

Remarkable pace in the car today. If the team can operate at this level on a front-limited track then I'd say they'd ace more suitable ones like Spa which they have been good at already. Bodes well for the second half.

McG

mwillems wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 18:10
McG wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 17:14

More sponsor money doesn’t automatically mean a higher budget. It could also result in less money from the shareholders.
More sponsor money will definitely mean a bigger budget. If anything, the shareholders will increase the budget.
It has been spoken openly as far as I remember, that the owners were supplementing the budget after the Honda split, from their own pockets and from sale of Assets, such as historic race cars. So it is entirely possible that any extra sponsorship may at first cover this amount. Now whether this was already resolved by the Latifi share purchase, or if the owners have already ceased payments, is another matter. But to say it is crap with no merit is not accurate at all, it's an entirely valid possibility.
Right at this moment the owners are pumping money into a planned wind tunnel.

Feel free to speculate about the future beyond that, but form has shown the owners aren't afraid to spend so I'll disagree with anyone who makes a wild guess.
F1 is dead.

Jackles-UK

M840TR wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 01:00
Remarkable pace in the car today. If the team can operate at this level on a front-limited track then I'd say they'd ace more suitable ones like Spa which they have been good at already. Bodes well for the second half.
If you’d offered me 5th and 9th before the weekend at possibly the track which is least suited to the car so far this season I’d have bitten your hand off! Great work from all involved, particularly Sainz who continues to prove that Red Bull were wrong to favour Gasly over him (despite the rumoured friction with Verstappen) with five top-6 finishes in his last seven races.

Spa & Monza might seem more suited to the car on paper but I expect the Ferrari & Mercedes engined cars (namely the Alfa and Racing Point) to be much closer to McLaren at those tracks due to their superior PU’s on what are, effectively, power circuits. Still, I agree with you that it has been a season surpassing all expectations thus far and the whole team deserves a huge amount of credit for turning it around in such a short space of time.

diffuser

Maplesoup wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 19:35
diffuser wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 18:57
Maplesoup wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 18:13

This is how red bull and Merc run there budgets as well. They have a target budget if they don't raise enough parent company steps up.
Well RB just writes off the money they pour into RBR as advertising budget. Not sure McLaren can do the same.
I think F1 is a better advertisement for a can manufacturer than an energy drinks company. So maybe the automotive marketing budget should feed into the F1 team
You can put your money anywhere you want. The only requirement is money. I don't think McLaren has that much disposable income.

diffuser

RonDennis wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 00:24
Saw the interview with Seidl today on Dutch television and McLaren is fully focused on Sainz and Norris. "We can make them stars of the sport", were his words. I personally don't see Alonso coming back, at least not with McLaren. The team is in a good position right now. Two good drivers that are young and are not (yet) demanding victories or podiums. Seidl looks like a great addition and Key has done some great things at all of his teams. Zak Brown has done a really, really good job.
Yep, he played nice with Alonso incase one of the 2 drivers was a bust.

It was clear to me when he announced his retirement.

godlameroso

M840TR wrote:
Spa has some quick corners, but it also has painfully slow long mid speed corners. You don't need tons of downforce, but it certainly helps in parts of the lap.
Saishū kōnā

f1rules
f1rules

article on amus, reason for this weekend: better understanding of setup, updates that work and finally, with the increase in df this year, the corners are not that slow anymore

_cerber1

Great completion of the first part of the championship for McLaren =D> =D> =D> . We are leaving for the summer break with a good mood, and a pleasant reserve of points. I hope that after a pause, we will consolidate our current status.

mwillems

McG wrote:
mwillems wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 18:10
McG wrote:

It has been spoken openly as far as I remember, that the owners were supplementing the budget after the Honda split, from their own pockets and from sale of Assets, such as historic race cars. So it is entirely possible that any extra sponsorship may at first cover this amount. Now whether this was already resolved by the Latifi share purchase, or if the owners have already ceased payments, is another matter. But to say it is crap with no merit is not accurate at all, it's an entirely valid possibility.
Right at this moment the owners are pumping money into a planned wind tunnel.

Feel free to speculate about the future beyond that, but form has shown the owners aren't afraid to spend so I'll disagree with anyone who makes a wild guess.
Yeah but isn't that another reason why it is possible that extra sponsorship money will not go to the racing budget? Not saying there will be, or speculating at all. Just pointing out that it isn't a foregone conclusion as you suggested.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mclaren111

FittingMechanics wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 17:03
Rules are not changing so I think that lot of upgrades can be brought and used next year as well. Seidl said before the race that they will have some upgrades after the summer break, so development for this year is not over. It is very good to see the team being able to consistently bring upgrades that work. Whatever they changed this year in their approach is paying off.

Getting rid off Goss, Morris & Boullier... =D> =D>