Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
loner

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

Jolle wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 14:59

Alfa isn't possible, the seat next to Kimi belongs to Ferrari. I think Magnussen is already confirmed by HAAS? and although many people question Grosjean's race craft, he did work out the cars updates, which gives him value for the team.

Renault is a good bet indeed, if Ocon doesn't go there and I still see him perform well next to verstappen in a RedBull.

If he survives and has another year next to Hamilton I see him as a good candidate for a seat next to Leclerc in 2021.
you see any advantage for Bottas over Kvyat in race trim ?
para bellum.

Fulcrum

marvin78 wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 14:40
That does not explain why it must be Bottas. You can find plenty of those drivers.
Name one who is:
  • As fast.
  • As experienced.
  • As available to be contracted.
  • As knowledgeable of significant rival teams.
  • Neither too old, nor too young.
There is only one other candidate in the Bottas mould, although he fails the age test and has no knowledge of rivals; Ferrari have already employed him twice.
Last edited by Fulcrum on 06 Aug 2019, 15:36, edited 2 times in total.

Fulcrum

Jolle wrote:
loner wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 14:50
Valtteri Bottas has F1 2020 'Plan B' if Mercedes pick Esteban Ocon
https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... teban-ocon
i think Renault , Haas and Alfa romeo would be interested.
Alfa isn't possible, the seat next to Kimi belongs to Ferrari. I think Magnussen is already confirmed by HAAS? and although many people question Grosjean's race craft, he did work out the cars updates, which gives him value for the team.

Renault is a good bet indeed, if Ocon doesn't go there and I still see him perform well next to verstappen in a RedBull.

If he survives and has another year next to Hamilton I see him as a good candidate for a seat next to Leclerc in 2021.
I personally think Bottas' plan B options include driving for Williams as a replacement for Kubica.

Jolle

loner wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 15:27
Jolle wrote:

you see any advantage for Bottas over Kvyat in race trim ?
Just a gut feeling, we don't have the data. But Bottas seems to have a good basis of raw speed, as shown that on Saturday he can match one of the best qualifiers from time til time. On race day he has his troubled races but Kvyat we don't know. We only see him this year against a rookie. Could well be that the step from STR to RBR is just too big at the moment. We've seen Kvyat struggle before and now Gasly.

Big Tea

I would like to see Ocon step in for one week end this year so we have a real comparison. Probably with it looking less and less safe Merc need to be sure not to disrupt Bottas weekend even with a practice session for Ocon. Even better, but it is not going to happen is Bottas to keep his car and let Ocon use Lewis car for a direct back-to-back comparison
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ringo

Im not convinced Ocon is ready for mercedes. I would push out Kubica from Williams. Give Ocon that drive, keep Bottas for 1 more year and put Ocon in the mercedes for 2021.
For Sure!!

Big Tea

ringo wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 23:10
Im not convinced Ocon is ready for mercedes. I would push out Kubica from Williams. Give Ocon that drive, keep Bottas for 1 more year and put Ocon in the mercedes for 2021.
I think this is where the problem comes from. After one more year with Williams, I think Mercedes is expecting Russell to be ready. So it is do or die for Ocon next year
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ringo

Well Ocon would now face Russel head to head. The best driver would then move to Mercedes.
I don't think a second year driver should be in a top car, as we have been seeing with Leclerc. They are fast but cannot support a constructors title charge.
For Sure!!

Scorpaguy

ringo wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 01:51
Well Ocon would now face Russel head to head. The best driver would then move to Mercedes.
I don't think a second year driver should be in a top car, as we have been seeing with Leclerc. They are fast but cannot support a constructors title charge.
...a good idea, put both Ocon and Russel in Williams next year. Such would be a good barometer...and a darn good show.

However, I do not think Toto waits another year to pull the trigger. Ocon or Russel to Merc next year (unless a Max happens).

GPR-A

Scorpaguy wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 04:37
ringo wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 01:51
...a good idea, put both Ocon and Russel in Williams next year. Such would be a good barometer...and a darn good show.

However, I do not think Toto waits another year to pull the trigger. Ocon or Russel to Merc next year (unless a Max happens).
Red Bull managed to build internal options with Seb, Ric and Max. Ferrari learnt lesson and brought their internal talent and they got Leclerc. Mercedes would be smart to put Ocon in Mercedes for 2020 and they would get a good feedback about him. Lewis would be there until 2022 for sure and in that time frame, they can also measure Russell if Ocon doesn't scale up. If one of them clicks, before Lewis departs, then they don't have to worry about finding a No. 1 driver from the market. If Ocon clicks, like Leclerc did for Ferrari, then Mercedes can replace Lewis with Russell for 2023. They would have been successful in producing internal options, which would be highly encouraging for them to bring more young talent into F1.

Not attempting all of it, while Lewis is still there, would be foolish.

ringo

Mercedes is different than redbull in terms of who they put in their cars. Redbull wants to keep their juniors and graduate them to the top car. Mercedes however wants the best driver in the car regardless if they are a mercedes junior. So i don't think they really have a strict plan in place like you mentioned above. They will grab the best driver whenever he is available if Lewis will depart. If Ocon or Russel do not prove the be the best out there, mercedes will simply poach the best driver from outside.
For Sure!!

Jolle

ringo wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 06:24
Mercedes is different than redbull in terms of who they put in their cars. Redbull wants to keep their juniors and graduate them to the top car. Mercedes however wants the best driver in the car regardless if they are a mercedes junior. So i don't think they really have a strict plan in place like you mentioned above. They will grab the best driver whenever he is available if Lewis will depart. If Ocon or Russel do not prove the be the best out there, mercedes will simply poach the best driver from outside.
Until now, every driver that drove for Mercedes since they returned with Brawn, was a Mercedes Junior driver once

dren

I have a feeling Alonso is sniffing around RBR and Mercedes.
Honda!

Jolle

dren wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 14:39
That has been wel documented, as has their response: No.

loner

dren wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 14:39
- They say in Italy that Fernando Alonso has options to occupy the seat of Pierre Gasly ... - Helmut Marko: "No"
https://twitter.com/movistar_f1/status/ ... 0146114561
para bellum.