Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jolle

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 18:02
Jolle wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 17:43

Who knows....

The series of events of 1994 changed Formula One forever.
Exactly. It left F1 with no World Champion on the grid (other than Mansell's brief return). Schumacher had an "easy run" compared to the likely season he'd have faced if Imola had been a walk-away off for Senna.

Also, remember that in 1994, Williams were WCC. That suggests that Senna could have taken the driver's title. We'll never know, of course, but that's the way of racing.
Schumacher had a lot of trouble with "the law", what excluded him from four races in total, while his teammates broke their neck, tried out any gravel pit on track or just didn't finish (JJ Letho, Verstappen and Herbert). Bit like RedBull this year against Ferrari. The B194 won almost all races Schumacher competed in.

TAG

Having a competitive team mate is a destabilizing influence on a number 1 driver. I's no coincidence that Max has put together the first franchise driver year after Ricciardo leaves. Some drivers can withstand the challenge others don't. If nothing else we'll get so see how a consistent and better skilled qualifier driver like Albon does at Red Bull. IMO, he'll not put a dent on Verstappen's year, unless the gap is uncomfortably close and causes Max to lose the big picture focus which is the area I think he's grown most in this season.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

NathanOlder

Interesting stat about Max,

2016 Max signs for RedBull.
From that point to the end of the season, Ricciardo out scores Max.

2017 Ricciardo out scores Max.

2018 Ricciardo announced he is leaving RedBull during the summer break. From the start of the season to the point Ricciardo announced he is leaving and is frozen out of the team, Ricciardo out scores Max.

Also every year as team mates, Ricciardo suffered more mechanical issues.

So Max has had a quality team mate, and Max was beaten all ends up.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Zarathustra

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 17:39
I see Max is starting to believe the hype around him now. Thinks he one of the most complete drivers in F1. Also thinks Hamilton hasn't faced any real team mate challenges. Presumably he wasn't old enough to watch 2007 when Hamilton made Alonso's life difficult, or watched him beat two other champions more than they beat him.

Remind us, Max, which champions have you had as team mates in your long and illustrious F1 career?

As the saying goes: pride comes before a fall.
What’s up with this kind of BS lately on this forum??

The hate is strong with this one- could you please pass over the salt, please.
:lol:

- What did Ron Dennis say about 2007, when Alonso returned to Mclaren ?

- What happend to Hamilton once Button came to Mclaren ?

One thing is certain- Hamilton respects Verstappen a lot more then you do.

Zarathustra

Capharol wrote:
10 Aug 2019, 18:14
but okay if you see it that way ... fine by me .... have a nice day
and.. how did that feel- reading someone else’s opinion?
Last edited by Zarathustra on 12 Aug 2019, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.

Jolle

NathanOlder wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 18:50
Interesting stat about Max,

2016 Max signs for RedBull.
From that point to the end of the season, Ricciardo out scores Max.

2017 Ricciardo out scores Max.

2018 Ricciardo announced he is leaving RedBull during the summer break. From the start of the season to the point Ricciardo announced he is leaving and is frozen out of the team, Ricciardo out scores Max.

Also every year as team mates, Ricciardo suffered more mechanical issues.

So Max has had a quality team mate, and Max was beaten all ends up.
That is indeed very true, but the stats also show that Verstappen has a good second half of the season in all three years. He somehow, in all his progression, then at least, still needs to get into grips with all the aspects of the car.

Plus, although they were close, his development and qualifying results, were writing on the wall for the RedBull management where their future is, like I said before, from all the red bull drivers (past of present), he is still the youngest....

Zarathustra

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 18:14
Pyrone89 wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 18:06

Says enough. Max-hating Lewis defender calling someone else what he is doing himself with inflammatory posts.
I'm reporting on comments Max has made about himself and querying the veracity of those comments. Sorry if that upsets you.

Perhaps you could answer for Max: which world champions has he had as team mates? If I'm wrong in my belief that the answer is "none" then I'm happy to be corrected.
I am a huge Schumacher fan, but how many Champions as a teammate did Schumacher have- and did anybody ever care?

TAG

Zarathustra wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 19:04
- What did Ron Dennis say about 2007, when Alonso returned to Mclaren ?
I know these!

Ron said Alonso demanded number 1 status in the team and went off the rails when Ron said no, equal treatment for both drivers.

Zarathustra wrote:
He won two of the three years they were team mates while suffering from more DNFs and a team that effectively turned against him during the 2012 contract renegotiation, remember twittergate when McLaren specifically hid data from Hamilton about the rear wing just to prove a point?

One could ask... what happened to McLaren when Hamilton left.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Just_a_fan

Zarathustra wrote:

One thing is certain- Hamilton respects Verstappen a lot more then you do.
Hamilton beat Button in 2010 - Button was the reigning champion that year. Button beat Hamilton in 2011. Hamilton beat Button in 2012. Your point?

I have great hopes for Max. I think he is exciting and will keep F1 interesting for some years to come. I have no doubt that, given a properly competitive car, he will be a champion. Probably a multiple champion if the car allows.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

Zarathustra wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 19:12
Just_a_fan wrote:
Pyrone89 wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 18:06

Says enough. Max-hating Lewis defender calling someone else what he is doing himself with inflammatory posts.
I'm reporting on comments Max has made about himself and querying the veracity of those comments. Sorry if that upsets you.

Perhaps you could answer for Max: which world champions has he had as team mates? If I'm wrong in my belief that the answer is "none" then I'm happy to be corrected.
I am a huge Schumacher fan, but how many Champions as a teammate did Schumacher have- and did anybody ever care?
The point is that Max made the comment that Hamilton never had a quality team mate. He's wrong, of course.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jolle

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 19:35
Zarathustra wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

The point is that Max made the comment that Hamilton never had a quality team mate. He's wrong, of course.
Strange comment from Verstappen. He knows better.

GPR-A

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 19:33
I have great hopes for Max. I think he is exciting and will keep F1 interesting for some years to come. I have no doubt that, given a properly competitive car, he will be a champion. Probably a multiple champion if the car allows.
What would be good about Max if he needs a good car to challenge for Championship? Schumacher and Alonso did that in much lesser cars. Lewis fought with Alonso, Button, Vettel and Rosberg, all champions. They all believe and have provided testimony that he is truly a super talent. Once Lewis retires, even if Max wins multiple championships, what's the relative worth of it? There would be no champion on the grid to challenge him as most likely, Vettel would have retired too.
Last edited by GPR-A on 12 Aug 2019, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

Pyrone89

Jolle wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 19:41
Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 19:35
Zarathustra wrote:

Strange comment from Verstappen. He knows better.
This seems to keep getting repeated the last few days, but
1. Does anyone have a direct quote of a reputable news source of him saying this, as opposed to some non-F1 or clickbait site twisting words or making stuff up?
2. Isn’t it confused with him saying multiple drivers would have gotten the same stats with that Merc, which is entirely reasonable?
3. If indeed it IS true, how do we not know this is just the start of mind games which a lot of drivers do (incl. Hamilton himself) when things get closer?
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Pyrone89

GPR -A wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 19:47
Just_a_fan wrote:
What would be good about Max if he needs a good car to challenge for Championship? Schumacher and Alonso did that in much lesser cars. Lewis fought with Alonso, Button, Vettel and Rosberg, all champions. Once Lewis retires, even if Max wins multiple championships, what's the relative worth of it? There would be no champion on the grid to challenge him as most likely, Vettel would have retired too.
Can you name the drivers that have gotten a WDC driving the 3rd best car (2nd best in some races) without benefitting from reliability woes of others (current era of high reliability)?

I will wait

Ps: what has any of this got to do with the silly season? The last pages have been offtopic dribble.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

GPR-A

Pyrone89 wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 19:50
GPR -A wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 19:47
Just_a_fan wrote:
What would be good about Max if he needs a good car to challenge for Championship? Schumacher and Alonso did that in much lesser cars. Lewis fought with Alonso, Button, Vettel and Rosberg, all champions. Once Lewis retires, even if Max wins multiple championships, what's the relative worth of it? There would be no champion on the grid to challenge him as most likely, Vettel would have retired too.
Can you name the drivers that have gotten a WDC driving the 3rd best car (2nd best in some races) without benefitting from reliability woes of others (current era of high reliability)?

I will wait

Ps: what has any of this got to do with the silly season? The last pages have been offtopic dribble.
Read the comment well. "Challenge for championship".