Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ENGINE TUNER

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

Zarathustra wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 11:30
GPR -A wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 11:02
Till date, he (*Hamilton) remains the best rookie to have entered the sport, who almost won the title on debut.
True, but part of the story is that he entered the sport in a championship contending team- which never happend before- or after.
Jaques Villeneuve had every opportunity to win the championship in 96.

Pyrone89

Wouter wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 14:26
Pyrone89 wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 13:44
Wouter wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 13:36
Exactly, and Chaloe’s son got 2% of the shares, making it 51% for the Yoovidhya family.
Exactly. I read the rumor on Autosport too, but also in the beginning of this season.
Wow,

So in Capharol’s logic we are both seeing aliens. It is contagious apparently :mrgreen:
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

NathanOlder

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 15:17
Zarathustra wrote:
GPR -A wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 11:02
Till date, he (*Hamilton) remains the best rookie to have entered the sport, who almost won the title on debut.
True, but part of the story is that he entered the sport in a championship contending team- which never happend before- or after.
Jos Verstappen too. 94 was his debut year, his team mate won the title.

What Zarathustra said is so far from the truth, or maybe we are misunderstanding his comment?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Pyrone89

NathanOlder wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 16:28
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Zarathustra wrote:

What Zarathustra said is so far from the truth, or maybe we are misunderstanding his comment?
No, JV jumped in mid-season.

Jolle

Pyrone89 wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 16:34
NathanOlder wrote:
ENGINE TUNER wrote:

No, JV jumped in mid-season.
He jumped out mis season, he was present for the first two races and some mid season.

ringo

NathanOlder wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 18:50
Interesting stat about Max,

2016 Max signs for RedBull.
From that point to the end of the season, Ricciardo out scores Max.

2017 Ricciardo out scores Max.

2018 Ricciardo announced he is leaving RedBull during the summer break. From the start of the season to the point Ricciardo announced he is leaving and is frozen out of the team, Ricciardo out scores Max.

Also every year as team mates, Ricciardo suffered more mechanical issues.

So Max has had a quality team mate, and Max was beaten all ends up.
To be fair to Max, Max did look better on track than Riciardo in terms of raw pace and risk appetite, but riciardo was out racing him from his experience. So Daniel looked less flashy, but was more clinical in getting the results.
But yes i agree, but i wouldn't go as far as to say max was underwhelming.
For Sure!!

ringo

Back on topic, Albon thai connection has some credence to it. I don't think it was why he selected outright, but it will create synergies. And you cannot blame the marketing machine at redbull for exploiting that fact.
It makes sense, i don't see any wrong doing in it. What sweetens the pot is that he is also British. This goes a very long way with promotions. Albons pre and post race videos for torro rosso are quite enjoyable for english speakers because he has a relatable sense of humour. So i think Redbull can only win from selecting this guy.
And i think Max now has to keep one eye on the front runners and the other eye on Albon.
I see Albon getting the better of Max on a few occasions, also i see him gathering support amongst the mechanics and engineers because of his personality. Daddy Verstappen may not like this however.
For Sure!!

Pyrone89

ringo wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 17:08
Back on topic, Albon thai connection has some credence to it. I don't think it was why he selected outright, but it will create synergies. And you cannot blame the marketing machine at redbull for exploiting that fact.
It makes sense, i don't see any wrong doing in it. What sweetens the pot is that he is also British. This goes a very long way with promotions. Albons pre and post race videos for torro rosso are quite enjoyable for english speakers because he has a relatable sense of humour. So i think Redbull can only win from selecting this guy.
And i think Max now has to keep one eye on the front runners and the other eye on Albon.
I see Albon getting the better of Max on a few occasions, also i see him gathering support amongst the mechanics and engineers because of his personality. Daddy Verstappen may not like this however.
Seeing the scenes after the pole for Verstappen and his wins earlier this year I dont think Max worries about the mechanic loving someone else more.

Big Tea

ringo wrote:
If this is true we have to ask how come he did not have a seat at the beginning of the season and had already signed for
Formula E?

If he was being boosted into F1 would he not at least have had a shot at replacing Hartley, as Helmut had to eat humble pie to bring DK back? Had things 'gone according to plan' Albon would not even have been in the STR, it was only desperation that got him the drive. (Red Bulls, not his)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Pyrone89

Big Tea wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 17:16
ringo wrote:
If this is true we have to ask how come he did not have a seat at the beginning of the season and had already signed for
Formula E?

If he was being boosted into F1 would he not at least have had a shot at replacing Hartley, as Helmut had to eat humble pie to bring DK back? Had things 'gone according to plan' Albon would not even have been in the STR, it was only desperation that got him the drive. (Red Bulls, not his)
I think we meant the decision between Kvyat and Albon, being so close, could have nationality as an added factor. Not some long time plan as indeed then the situation last year would not have happened

ringo

Big Tea wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 17:16
ringo wrote:
Formula E?

I am not saying he is being boosted because of marketing. I am saying the marketing is a side benefit of selecting him for the redbull drive. I think he got where he is now because of his abilities in the car. I don't seem him as a pay driver. Just saying his thai connections are a plus.

So with this dude in the redbull and Gasly back at TR.. Hulkenberg might want to go to Sauber next year to try and beat Kimi. If he succeeds, he has a chance at the ferrari seat. Hulk to redbull is just not going to happen. He wont want to go to Haas or back to Racing Point.
Hulk to Sauber is his best pathway to a top drive at this stage. Redbull's shop is pretty much closed.

Ocon to Renault for a year, and Bottas stays at Mercedes. Russel to stay at Williams.. Kubica out. Giovinazi looks like he is out unless he can do a deal to get a Haas drive.

Racing points stays the same unfortunately. It would be great if Perez got a drive in a merc or ferrari by this time, but it wont happen. lol
Last edited by ringo on 13 Aug 2019, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.
For Sure!!

Zarathustra

[quote=NathanOlder post_id=855566 time=1565706506 user_id=13800]
[quote="ENGINE TUNER" post_id=855558 time=1565702247 user_id=36497]
[quote=Zarathustra post_id=855529 time=1565688646 user_id=40708]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It doesn’t mean that you’ll be a Champion- if you’re driving a ‘championship contending car’.

It does mean that Hamilton had a ‘championship contending car’ in his rookie year.. and the year after.

On itself, this hardly ever happens.. maybe indeed Villeneuve.

* - Edit, what is happening here?

Pyrone89

Zarathustra wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 19:24
NathanOlder wrote:
ENGINE TUNER wrote:

It doesn’t mean that you’ll be a Champion- if you’re driving a ‘championship contending car’.

It does mean that Hamilton had a ‘championship contending car’ in his rookie year.. and the year after.

Perhaps removed a [ or /

aral

Once again i have had to remove some posts which are just plain trolling and fanboy posts. The thread title is indeed "silly season" but is for 2018-2019. However some of the usual suspects are using it to wage what appears to be a personal war against each other, and harking back to seasons past. Please calm down and have proper debate instead of all this tit for tat.
Oh, and before i get more PMs, yes, i know that there are other posts that should also be removed, but I am on holidays at the moment and havent the time to catch the offenders !

Just_a_fan

Zarathustra wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 19:24
NathanOlder wrote:
ENGINE TUNER wrote:

But he got that seat by reaching out to Ron when Lewis was still a kid. The famous "I'm Lewis Hamilton and one day I want to drive your cars" (or whatever the exact quote is) was the first step. He got McLaren's help in his development years and that doubtless helped him. And then after winning GP2 he got the F1 drive.

People behave as if he just got given the seat in 2007 out of the blue. He earned it following his ballsy meeting with Ron and his subsequent proving of his ability. Now Max was a guy that got given an F1 seat with little real single seater racing background. Indeed Kimi did too, back in the day when Sauber signed him up. He had so little experience that he had to do some driving to prove he was suitable for F1 - a driving test effectively.

I wonder how many Max fans would be talking about Hamilton getting a good car in his early F1 career, if Max had taken Mercedes's offer of being in their driver development team rather than RedBull's. Imagine, Max could be in Bottas's car today if that had happened...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.