Commentary pets

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wouter

Re: Commentary pets

strad wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 19:28
Getting all excited because a car starts is phony and silly. He acts like he's going to have a heart attack over nothing and his viewers can pick up on that. I have heard he started in radio where that is more acceptable. Somebody needs to tell him it's TV and he doesn't need to hype it up as we can see.
In addition to that the start is always terribly exciting to watch and there is no need to make it even more exciting by screaming. It's exciting enough, way too exciting mostly. :D
The Power of Dreams!

DiogoBrand

How can people not get annoyed with Croft? Every time he sees two cars side by side he acts like it's the battle of the century and he's gonna have a heart attack because of it. I mean, it's TV, we're all seeing what's happening, it's not like I'm gonna find the race more exciting just because I'm listening to a man shout on my ears.

strad

you have always the option to Mute your TV if it bothers you so much
So you're alternative is to have no commentary.
Not much of alternative now is it?
He could easily be more professional. I think he was impressed by Murray Walker and is doing a very poor imitation.
Right down to making more mistakes.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Maritimer

My old man always laughs at Crofty when he hears him getting worked up

Capharol

strad wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 04:28
He could easily be more professional. I think he was impressed by Murray Walker and is doing a very poor imitation.
well if you can, you can try to listen to the german commentary ...... when you wanna take a nap they can help.

what i wanna say .... anyway you wanna put it every commetary has his own way, but the things you learn from Sky Sport F1 (if you are a casual watcher) is enormous because of the pundits they have there

strad

but the things you learn from Sky Sport F1 (if you are a casual watcher) is enormous because of the pundits they have there
A. I'm not a casual viewer
B. I find them far less informative than the American crew that got the axe
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

ubuysa

Capharol wrote:
strad wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 04:28
well if you can, you can try to listen to the german commentary ...... when you wanna take a nap they can help.
The Greek commentators are the same. It's clear they're not at the track but in a TV studio in Athens. No excitement, no drama, and sometimes they even get their facts right!

Sent using Tapatalk

waynes

I'd swap most of the UK sky team for Federica Masolin and Davide Valsecchi

Masolin on camera, Valsecchi on comms with Brundle. Croft can get in the bin

graham.reeds

Back when Hunt and Walker were commentating sometimes the BBC wouldn't send them to the track so they had someone (Joe Saward) trackside on the phone telling them what was going in in realtime.

The source of Hunt saying "I can't quite see what is happening from where I am sitting!"

El Scorchio

In what seems to be the opposite of most on here, I infinitely prefer the SKY coverage to C4 in the UK. Coulthard seems a massive Red Bull fanboy (still on the payroll?) but I find him a terrible commentator so don't listen to him unless I absolutely have to. He's got a habit of stating the obvious at least 5 minutes after it became obvious to the viewers, and I find myself almost always pre-empting him if I'm watching with someone else.

I find Crofty entertaining, and that's half the game as a commentator, even if some of it is a bit frivelous. Clearly they need to try and appeal to the casual viewer. Also, let's not forget that the God and GOAT of commentary himself Murray Walker was famous for getting hugely excited, making bloopers, and getting things wrong and we all absolutely love him for that.

Only natural that UK broadcasters carry a bit of a British driver bias, but then again that's what (most) UK based fans want to see. Especially when one is a multiple world champion. They do a good job of featuring all the field throughout the course of a season. Sainz seems a favourite of SKY, and of course Ricciardo too, because he's really entertaining.

marmer

waynes wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 12:05

you must be joking Davide is the worst. he near stops me from watching formula 2.

Big Tea

marmer wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 16:13
waynes wrote:

you must be joking Davide is the worst. he near stops me from watching formula 2.
I have only seen him once (that I recall) and I wanted to hit him with a big stick :twisted:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Capharol

marmer wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 16:13
waynes wrote:

agreed 100% Davide is the worst, stopped watching F2 because of his commentary

ClarkBT11

I enjoy English channel 4 team good banter and knowledge of f1, all the sky team are just annoying in my opinion. Even the English sky advert gets on my tits..

NathanOlder

El Scorchio wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 13:37
In what seems to be the opposite of most on here, I infinitely prefer the SKY coverage to C4 in the UK. Coulthard seems a massive Red Bull fanboy (still on the payroll?) but I find him a terrible commentator so don't listen to him unless I absolutely have to. He's got a habit of stating the obvious at least 5 minutes after it became obvious to the viewers, and I find myself almost always pre-empting him if I'm watching with someone else.

I find Crofty entertaining, and that's half the game as a commentator, even if some of it is a bit frivelous. Clearly they need to try and appeal to the casual viewer. Also, let's not forget that the God and GOAT of commentary himself Murray Walker was famous for getting hugely excited, making bloopers, and getting things wrong and we all absolutely love him for that.

Only natural that UK broadcasters carry a bit of a British driver bias, but then again that's what (most) UK based fans want to see. Especially when one is a multiple world champion. They do a good job of featuring all the field throughout the course of a season. Sainz seems a favourite of SKY, and of course Ricciardo too, because he's really entertaining.
This 100% =D>
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC