2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
M840TR

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Capharol wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 14:31
RonDennis wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 14:12
Even if Honda has the best engine in the world it's still a decision that had to be made. If they hadn't switched, they would still play the blame game instead of getting on top of their own problems.
boah honestly .... cut this comparison crap ... forgett about it and move on .... like all participants did.

I am in this topic because i like to see updates about McLaren F1 Team
Hello darkness my old friend...

SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:Below report says spec C estimated to be gains of 10 to 15 horses. Strangely, they put the statement in quotes, without actually quoting anyone.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/renault-s ... lk_of_town
The actual comment by Taffin was that the jump was the same as from Spec A to Spec B (and the different sites are interpreting that one as 10-15 hp).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Capharol

M840TR wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 15:09
Capharol wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 14:31
RonDennis wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 14:12
Even if Honda has the best engine in the world it's still a decision that had to be made. If they hadn't switched, they would still play the blame game instead of getting on top of their own problems.
boah honestly .... cut this comparison crap ... forgett about it and move on .... like all participants did.

I am in this topic because i like to see updates about McLaren F1 Team
Hello darkness my old friend...
a very nice song :wink:

BTT

Ground Effect

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 15:19
Ground Effect wrote:Below report says spec C estimated to be gains of 10 to 15 horses. Strangely, they put the statement in quotes, without actually quoting anyone.

The actual comment by Taffin was that the jump was the same as from Spec A to Spec B (and the different sites are interpreting that one as 10-15 hp).

Correct, I saw that as well. A couple of days ago, articles were saying it’s a 10hp gain, now this report is saying 10-15hp. I had mentioned that in an AMuS article, which came out when Spec B was introduced, Hulk said the Spec B was worth around 0.2secs gain in lap time. If that figure of 0.2secs is dependant on the circuit, the Spec B was first used by Ricciardo at Paul Ricard.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Correct, I saw that as well. A couple of days ago, articles were saying it’s a 10hp gain, now this report is saying 10-15hp. I had mentioned that in an AMuS article, which came out when Spec B was introduced, Hulk said the Spec B was worth around 0.2secs gain in lap time. If that figure of 0.2secs is dependant on the circuit, the Spec B was first used by Ricciardo at Paul Ricard.
I guess that FP2 will let them know if they should take in Spa or Monza... If the car seems to be performing well after FP2 in Spa, the team might as well take the penalties there and avoid them in Monza.

M840TR

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 16:36
Ground Effect wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

I guess that FP2 will let them know if they should take in Spa or Monza... If the car seems to be performing well after FP2 in Spa, the team might as well take the penalties there and avoid them in Monza.

I think they might split. Carlos in Monza and Lando Sochi.

SmallSoldier

M840TR wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
Ground Effect wrote: Correct, I saw that as well. A couple of days ago, articles were saying it’s a 10hp gain, now this report is saying 10-15hp. I had mentioned that in an AMuS article, which came out when Spec B was introduced, Hulk said the Spec B was worth around 0.2secs gain in lap time. If that figure of 0.2secs is dependant on the circuit, the Spec B was first used by Ricciardo at Paul Ricard.

Delay it until Sochi? That’s an option that didn’t cross my mind... Could be a good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

604gtir

Jolle wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 14:33
Losing works status and 100 mln in additional sponsorship vs a customer PU where you have to pay for is the best deal indeed...

McLaren downgraded herself from a top team to a midfielder. Not just with the PU but also with the drivers. That they are now leading the midfield is good, no question about it. But there is no way they will be able to make the jump back to the front any time soon. They should of been where redbull is now.
my only hope is 2021 rectifies some of the advantages of works status

M840TR

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 20:51
M840TR wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Delay it until Sochi? That’s an option that didn’t cross my mind... Could be a good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lando got his new engine in Silverstone so it's only 3 races old. They could even use the Spec C for Spa/Monza then revert to Spec B in Singapore/Brazil; which they probably will.

_cerber1

I think that the most obvious place for the emergence of new aero components will be Spa. Because the following two tracks are very specific in this regard. Is there any news on this?

Ground Effect

_cerber1 wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 10:36
I think that the most obvious place for the emergence of new aero components will be Spa. Because the following two tracks are very specific in this regard. Is there any news on this?
Getting news about McLaren chassis updates these days is like trying to squeeze water from a stone :D
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Espresso

History keeps coming back in this thread... :shock:

Short recap:
McLaren & Honda broke up. How or what doesn't matter. But it is (in competitive view) very beneficial for both parties.

Renault is Renault. They keep up with the engine development. But do not gain anything to catch up to the front runners.
And al the 'Engine news' is always PR/Diplomatic talk without 'hard promises'.

Before mentioned is just how it is. No sense to keep dragging on to that subject I think.
Time to close this chapter folks. It's for the history books.

:arrow: Lets go on forward to the future as McLaren do! =D>

Nothing to do with down-grading or bad choices. Given the circumstances it was the best choice. Proven by the fact they are 'harvesting sponsors' as we speak.
And sponsors only come/pay when they see something profitable.

McLaren did a great turn-around and are moving swiftly into the right development path (with their chassis). I'm sure they've got something great for 2020 in the pipeline.

You have to agree that (currently) in comparison to Renault there chassis is much better and thus must be counted as one of the best.

Off course there are still gains to be made. But one day they will make the calculated risk (like RB) to use the PU over the designated limits to 'harvest podium positions'.
They might burn some power units in the process, but that's a calculated risk

And (allow me to dream) a Rochade with Williams and switching engine partners would be very promising....
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

M840TR

_cerber1 wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 10:36
Monza is also unlikely because they've adopted an incremental upgrade strategy this year featuring small parts being introduced with intervals of stringent testing. Going by this pattern then, the hypothetical Spa upgrades will only be further tested till new ones come several weeks later.

Emag

Considering the second half of the season has less races than the first half. I would think that they will bring updates for the first couple of races. And if they continue their strong form and keep extending their lead over fifth place, then I think by the fifth race of the second half, which I believe it is Russia, they will switch full focus to 2020, because by that point there will only be 4 races left in the season. I doubt any other midfield team can realistically close a gap of 50+ points in that time margin.

proteus

Emag wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 19:00
Considering the second half of the season has less races than the first half. I would think that they will bring updates for the first couple of races. And if they continue their strong form and keep extending their lead over fifth place, then I think by the fifth race of the second half, which I believe it is Russia, they will switch full focus to 2020, because by that point there will only be 4 races left in the season. I doubt any other midfield team can realistically close a gap of 50+ points in that time margin.
Another Germany repeat and maybe with even more top contenders out and followers can reduce that gap right away. We also need to take under consideration that Renault engine and Mclaren hydraulics/gearbox are on the fragile side, so retirements and grid penalties are about to hit them.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows