Bugatti breaks 300 mph barrier with a modified Chiron

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
sosic2121

Re: Bugatti breaks 300 mph barrier with a modified Chiron

Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 00:12
sosic2121 wrote:
05 Sep 2019, 12:30
To me, this is final testament to the Veyron failure.
Veyron? :wtf:
Under the skin, it's the same car.
From the first time Veyron was presented, Bugatti had hard time achieving promised numbers, due to flawed concept.

Just_a_fan

sosic2121 wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 08:15

From the first time Veyron was presented, Bugatti had hard time achieving promised numbers, due to flawed concept.
What promised numbers did they not achieve? And why is it a flawed concept if it does actually do what they intended it to do.

I don't really understand why people feel the need to down-say Bugatti for their cars just because they prefer the Koenigsegg or some other hypercar. All of them are fabulous devices and each is a unique approach to achieving their own stated aims.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

sosic2121

Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 10:28
sosic2121 wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 08:15

What promised numbers did they not achieve? And why is it a flawed concept if it does actually do what they intended it to do.

I don't really understand why people feel the need to down-say Bugatti for their cars just because they prefer the Koenigsegg or some other hypercar. All of them are fabulous devices and each is a unique approach to achieving their own stated aims.
I admire clever engineering, and I consider cars like koenigsegg and Mclaren f1 to fall into this category.
IMO Bugatti took brute force approach.
Unlimited funds, 8 liters, 16 cylinders, 4 turbos, best testing track in the world!
After many delays they they produced what? 375kph car? Unless special key is inserted.
AFAIK they failed to achieve acceleration figures they were aiming for, surely because of the immense weight.

Bugatti wanted to produce a ultimate hypercar. Due to it's weight, it would never rule the race tracks, so only option was straight line. And it was beaten by koenigsegg.
Now Bugatti is trying to achieve "something" to sell to its customers and it's failing more often than not.

Just_a_fan

sosic2121 wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 12:54
so only option was straight line. And it was beaten by koenigsegg.
Beaten? How. The Veyron was the first car to do 400km/h, which I believe they set out to be.

Also, something like 450 Veyrons have been sold - most of the Koenigsegg cars have been a series of specials that have sold in single-figure or low double-figure numbers.

Still not sure why you have it in for Bugatti - presumably you're a Koenigsegg fan, and that's great, but don't say the Veyron / Chiron is a failure when it obviously isn't.

Personally, I think the McLaren F1 is the greatest supercar ever made. It was so far ahead of its time and is still a work of automotive and engineering art.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

sosic2121

Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 17:28
sosic2121 wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 12:54
so only option was straight line. And it was beaten by koenigsegg.
Beaten? How. The Veyron was the first car to do 400km/h, which I believe they set out to be.

Also, something like 450 Veyrons have been sold - most of the Koenigsegg cars have been a series of specials that have sold in single-figure or low double-figure numbers.

Still not sure why you have it in for Bugatti - presumably you're a Koenigsegg fan, and that's great, but don't say the Veyron / Chiron is a failure when it obviously isn't.

Personally, I think the McLaren F1 is the greatest supercar ever made. It was so far ahead of its time and is still a work of automotive and engineering art.
And I can't understand how can anyone admire Mclaren F1 and Bugatti at the same time.
I am a fan of Koenigsegg since I see them as someone who is thinking outside of the box and pushing the boundaries, engineering on another level, just like F1 was.
IMHO Bugatti is just upping the boost.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

So they finally announce a production model. It is called Bugatti Chiron Super Sport 300+, costs $3.9 million and is limited to 30 models.
If You Have $3.9 Million, You Can Have a 300 MPH Bugatti
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

MtthsMlw

Record broken yet again

OO7
OO7

Exactly why Gordon Murray was saying it was pointless chasing those records.

OO7
OO7

MtthsMlw wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 21:43
Record broken yet again
Looked like it could have still gone quite a bit faster (may have been limited by road length). Shame about the poor onboard footage.

humble sabot

The two way average was significantly lower 330 was the peak, so it's hard to say.
Apparently the driver backed off, and I don't blame em, I wouldn't want to be in that car if the tyres let go though, holy ---! Michelin was already scared to let Koenigsegg run the Regera flat out, peaking at 330 is clearly pushing tyre tech, hell no aircraft is ever on the ground at that speed.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

Mchamilton

humble sabot wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 10:34
The two way average was significantly lower 330 was the peak, so it's hard to say.
Apparently the driver backed off, and I don't blame em, I wouldn't want to be in that car if the tyres let go though, holy ---! Michelin was already scared to let Koenigsegg run the Regera flat out, peaking at 330 is clearly pushing tyre tech, hell no aircraft is ever on the ground at that speed.
Ollie said he caught a big gust of side wind and backed off. Ssc said they tested the tyres themselves to ensure they could handle the load and were confident they could.

Morteza

Bugatti have a new car they're gonna unveil next week. It looks unlike anything they have made so far

Holm86

Morteza wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 22:20
Bugatti have a new car they're gonna unveil next week. It looks unlike anything they have made so far
https://youtu.be/2ZiTKr_ALjk
Le Mans hypercar??
Looks pretty cool, and if it is, Le Mans could be interesting again

cheeRS

humble sabot wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 10:34
It definitely could have gone a lot faster than 330, with the caveat that gearing may have limited it. Hard to say how close to redline it was, but the way it was accruing speed from 320-330 was the way the Chiron did so from 270-280, so the speed was definitely not power limited.

Hard to say about the tires; it's uncharted territory. Those Cup 2Rs (same as Chiron) can clearly handle 300+ on the much heavier Chiron. Plus, the Chiron's tires are much wider, thus adding considerable more centripetal forces to the tire carcass as a whole. The increase in force from going 300 to going, say, 340 is not a whole lot more. But If 335 is the failure point of the tire, I suppose it doesn't matter.

Top fuel dragsters have tires that are many times the mass of the Cup 2Rs and they easily hit 300+ without issue and these cars are producing 12,000+ Lbs of downforce at that speed. Granted, it's a completely different tire and purpose, but the precedent of a rubber tire than can handle it is there.

FWIW, the driver of the Tuatara said he backed off because of crosswind on the 330 run, and that he was slightly hesitant on the first run at 'only' 300.
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂