Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Alexf1

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

How can they be in the rev limiter around 345 when maximum speeds in the race gives 357 on FIA.com? Downtuned engine revs after Kvyat retirement?

NL_Fer

It doesn’t look like a real rev limiter, more sort of calibration how much (ers/mgu-k) is available. If you look at the straights into Ascari and Parabolica, the rpm seems to level out at the same speeds every lap.

Maybe the ecu just deactivates mgu-k at certain speeds, when further acceleration has no gain in laptime.

toraabe

They have the same final drive as mercedes. Ferrari and mclaren. At 300 kp/h they all revs around 10800. At Mexico they occasionally reach 13000.

gruntguru

Perhaps the problem is not rev limiter but running above the power band? 350 kph would be 12,600 rpm if 300 is 10,800.
je suis charlie

toraabe

Yes. But this is the best solution. The reason is that they need to be able to reach target top speed on most tracks in 8.th gear. Last year the Renault had a way too long final drive in which made the 8.th gear less useful.

GhostF1

I think it was mapping based because Max hit 357 during the race early on, and he came on the radio saying he had the same problem as in qualifying and lost power. His engineer said "yep we see it, power should be coming back though, keep an eye on the... well you know what to look for".
So they are definitely keeping something under wraps, how the PU is operated or what its doing. Power came back but the engine would not exceed 12,300rpm. Which kept him at 342ish, hence stuck behind Perez.
And apparently Jos said the issue has been sorted and won't happen at the next race recently on TV.

loner

maguetox wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 21:23
If I understand correctly, it will depend of the situation, and in Monza with the tow the final gear maybe was a little short.
If the problem is the final gear, Mexico will be a place where RBR can have a serious problem.
why Mexico ?!!
para bellum.

godlameroso

GhostF1 wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 06:20
I think it was mapping based because Max hit 357 during the race early on, and he came on the radio saying he had the same problem as in qualifying and lost power. His engineer said "yep we see it, power should be coming back though, keep an eye on the... well you know what to look for".
So they are definitely keeping something under wraps, how the PU is operated or what its doing. Power came back but the engine would not exceed 12,300rpm. Which kept him at 342ish, hence stuck behind Perez.
And apparently Jos said the issue has been sorted and won't happen at the next race recently on TV.
New fuel wasn't ready, should be ready for Singapore. Although they may revert back to spec 2 as there aren't any long straights. New fuel gives a bit more power and combustion stability.
Saishū kōnā

Wouter

godlameroso wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 13:28
GhostF1 wrote:
New fuel wasn't ready, should be ready for Singapore. Although they may revert back to spec 2 as there aren't any long straights. New fuel gives a bit more power and combustion stability.
The new fuel is tailored to the new spec 4/5. If they start using it, they will not drive the spec 2.
The Power of Dreams!

daniellammers

godlameroso wrote:
GhostF1 wrote:
Genuine question: how do you know this stuff?
You won't catch me driving a race car that I have built.

- Colin Chapman

godlameroso

daniellammers wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 14:10
godlameroso wrote:
GhostF1 wrote:
Just stuff I hear along the way.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Wouter wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 13:36
godlameroso wrote:
GhostF1 wrote:
The new fuel is tailored to the new spec 4/5. If they start using it, they will not drive the spec 2.
They could, the general concept of the power unit isn't fantastically different that the new fuel couldn't benefit the older spec. But it won't be as big a gain as on the new spec, granted we are talking maybe 10-15hp difference.
Saishū kōnā

Wouter

godlameroso wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 14:48
daniellammers wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

"Along the way" is very vague. Are you talking about insiders?
Do you have connections with employees of Honda / ExxonMobil / RBR?
The Power of Dreams!

godlameroso

Wouter wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 14:55
godlameroso wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 14:48
daniellammers wrote:

"Along the way" is very vague. Are you talking about insiders?
Do you have connections with employees of Honda / ExxonMobil / RBR?
Channeling Sochiro Honda's ghost :mrgreen:

You don't have to believe me or my sources, judge me by the accuracy of my statements.
Saishū kōnā

63l8qrrfy6

you also seem to (attempt) to predict qualy lap times, weather etc.
any good tips on horse racing ?