Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
jjn9128

Re: Formula E

marmer wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 08:39
Do we know which drivers are being kept for next year.

For me paffet and Massa need to go too old not shown anything.

I would also drop vandorne he can't be cheap and hasn't looked great but I fear they will keep him just because of how much fan boast vote he gets..
Or am I missing something with stoff I just can't see why anyone would vote for him.
Vandoorne's been great, especially in quali, in the races less so but they've been using the Venturi powertrain and had a bunch of drive shaft failures early in the season, it's a bit inefficient - in the same way Nissan is overworking their rear tyres and despite ~50% of pole positions only got 1 win. HWA become Mercedes next year (with Venturi using their powertrain) and I think he'll be kept on. Massa has a 2year contract.

Bold are the guys confirmed, brackets is what I think will be the case.
Techeetah - Vergne + ?
Audi - Di Grassi + Abt
Nissan - (Buemi) + (Rowland)
Virgin - Bird + Frijns
BMW - (Da Costa) + (Sims)
Jaguar - (Evans) + (Lynn)
Mahindra - (Wehrlein) + (D'ambrosio)
Mercedes - (Vandoorne) + ?
Venturi - Massa + Mortara
Dragon - (Gunther) + (Nasr)
NIO - (Turvey) + (Dillman)
Porsche - Jani + ?

I think Jaguar, Nissan, Mahindra, NIO, BMW will be the same as this year. Lotterer may be jumping from DS to Porsche, but I also saw a rumour that Hulkenberg may be persuaded to join Porsche from F1 because Renault want to sign Ocon for the French angle. I think Mercedes will be Vandoorne plus Ocon/Engel/Paffet, but Mortara has done some of their testing even though he's apparently contracted to Venturi. Lopez has been dire for 2 years (occasionally quick but constantly crashing) so I think he's gone, but Gunther did well, maybe Nasr will join again with a full pre-season schedule to actually get used to the car.

If I were a boss at a top team I'd want Turvey in my car, experienced plus he consistently outperformed Piquet and Dillman for NIO including some good points and podiums, but he's been overlooked so far. Outside shout for a chance is Calderon (DS) or Chadwick (NIO) who were both fairly good in the mid-season tests (of course you never know the engine modes run), but I doubt it!
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

jjn9128

Lotterer has joined Porsche which leaves a seat at the current champions. Calderon and Rossiter have tested with them this year, but she's not exactly setting the world alight in F2 and he's 35 so both unlikely.

So confirmed are now:
DS Techeetah - Vergne
Audi Abt - Di Grassi + Abt
Virgin - Bird + Frijns
Venturi - Massa + Mortara
Porsche - Jani + Lotterer
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

jjn9128

More driver deals done Hartley confirmed at Dragon - either Gunther or Nasr would be likely as team-mate. Gutierrez has been testing for Mercedes. Looks like Da Costa is looking to get out of his BMW deal to join Techeetah.
#aerogandalf

Morteza

Maximilian Gunther to BMW i Andretti Motorsport
https://twitter.com/maxg_official/statu ... 81058?s=19

Mercedes also are going to reveal their team principal, drivrer line-up and final livery on Wednesday. It will be streamed live from IAA Frankfurt at 4pm CEST.
https://twitter.com/MercedesEQFE/status ... 44515?s=19
Last edited by Morteza on 09 Sep 2019, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.

jjn9128

Morteza wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 18:23
Mercedes also are going to reveal their team principal, drivrer line-up and final livery on Wednesday. It will be streamed live from IAA Frankfurt at 4pm CEST.
I'm going to predict Vandoorne and Gutierrez
#aerogandalf

mzso

jjn9128 wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 09:57
No. Championship exclusion for that. Race/season ban for that. That's Briatore/Symmonds/Piquet levels of bringing a sport into disrepute. I think what saved him is that Techeetah didn't act on it.
Di Grassi got away with worse... He crashed into his opponent, and when that didn't work tried to block him from going for the fastest lap....

tpeman

What about Grosjean to Teechetah? He is still fast, comes from the fastest category of racing, this type of racing might suit him pretty well actually. I also think that we might see Kubica in FE.

jjn9128

tpeman wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 21:03
What about Grosjean to Teechetah? He is still fast, comes from the fastest category of racing, this type of racing might suit him pretty well actually. I also think that we might see Kubica in FE.
Techeetah already Vergne and Da Costa confirmed.
#aerogandalf

Morteza

It seems the same guys responsible for Merc's F1 social media are responsible for their Formula E too. They have released teasers of their livery :D

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

jjn9128

Morteza wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 18:25
It seems the same guys responsible for Merc's F1 social media are responsible for their Formula E too. They have released teasers of their livery :D
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EEGtGXXXsAE ... name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EEG91hRU8AI ... ame=medium
So black with "electric" blue... how original :x
#aerogandalf

Morteza

jjn9128 wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 18:26
Morteza wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 18:25
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EEGtGXXXsAE ... name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EEG91hRU8AI ... ame=medium
So black with "electric" blue... how original :x
Formula E liveries are horrible, man. Teams are either black or silver. Some teams have unique liveries, but most of them are hard to distinguish from each other.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

jjn9128

Morteza wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 18:30
Formula E liveries are horrible, man. Teams are either black or silver. Some teams have unique liveries, but most of them are hard to distinguish from each other.
I dunno. I quite liked the Audi livery, the new one I'm less keen on. The 2 colour Dragons was a cool concept. I like the Techeetah gold, the Virgin purple and the BMW livery. I wish Jaguar had gone green as a nod to their heritage. It's jag/nissan/hwa and venturi were difficult to tell apart. Porsche will join that group.

Early 2000s F1 had some great and distinguishable liveries. I miss that.
#aerogandalf

Morteza

jjn9128 wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 20:05
Morteza wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 18:30
I dunno. I quite liked the Audi livery, the new one I'm less keen on. The 2 colour Dragons was a cool concept. I like the Techeetah gold, the Virgin purple and the BMW livery. I wish Jaguar had gone green as a nod to their heritage. It's jag/nissan/hwa and venturi were difficult to tell apart. Porsche will join that group.
That's the group I had in mind, the others you mentioned are easy to distinguish. BMW has to be my favorite livery. Mercedes by the looks of it is going to join the difficult-to-tell-apart group, they are replacing HWA and the livery seems very similar with a touch of silver.

FW17

Williams Advanced Engineering has revealed a new battery module it claims is lighter but more power-dense than conventional lithium-ion units.

Autocar reports the new lithium-ion battery module uses Adaptive Multi-Chem technology that could make battery packs up to 30 per cent lighter and 37 per cent more energy dense.

This could deliver longer range and higher power without making the battery packs any physically larger.

The new battery module debuted at the Cenex Low Carbon Vehicle Event earlier this month in Millbrook, England. It’s still in development but could reach low-volume production, with plans to build around 50 units in the next six to 12 months.

Beyond road-going vehicles the new module could also see applications in aerospace, where its inherent scalability is appealing.

For those unfamiliar with the construction of lithium-ion batteries, a pack is comprised of multiple modules which are in turn comprised of multiple cells, typically all of the same type and with the same composition.

Williams has taken a slightly different approach. Its new module uses two different types of cells – one type known for good energy density, another type for higher power – which are then arranged separately within the module.

Each module uses an innovative, bi-directional DC/DC converter to manage the energy transfer between the two cell types. There’s also a compact thermal management system to manage cooling.

Williams was the sole battery supplier to the FIA Formula E race series from 2014 to 2018. The new technology is intended for use in electric sports cars, at least at first. That’s also due to the added complexity of the module which, naturally, would result in higher prices.

At Cenex, Williams demonstrated a test battery pack comprised of 16 of the new modules. The test pack had a storage capacity of 60kWh and produced peak power of 550kW for 20 seconds and peak regeneration of 550kW for 10 seconds.

The pack also demonstrated Williams’s new 223 technology, a manufacturing process employed to create a lightweight exoskeleton for battery module. On the demo pack, the exoskeleton’s complete base and case weigh just 40kg.

Andres125sx

Very interesting, thanks!

I guess it will be top secret, but I wonder what´s the technology of each module

BTW, will teams develop their own batteries or there´s still a single battery manufacturer in 2019-20 season?