2022 Tyres Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Manoah2u

Re: 18-inch wheels to be introduced in 2021.

Holm86 wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 11:51
I like the look, but it won't matter any damn thing if they cover them up with those wheel farings as they plan to do.
exactly my idea.

i don't get that faring thing. i was pretty happy to start seeing 'DUB' wheels on f1 cars,
but they're gonna be completely covered, which means no aesthetics at all.

as for road relevance? yeah right. The current wheels aren't road relevant either and the forced wear is even furhter from any realism at all.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

FW17

Manoah2u wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 15:03
Holm86 wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 11:51
I like the look, but it won't matter any damn thing if they cover them up with those wheel farings as they plan to do.
exactly my idea.

i don't get that faring thing. i was pretty happy to start seeing 'DUB' wheels on f1 cars,
but they're gonna be completely covered, which means no aesthetics at all.

as for road relevance? yeah right. The current wheels aren't road relevant either and the forced wear is even furhter from any realism at all.

Aero wheels are so cool and relevant. We will see more of these

izzy

FW17 wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 17:57
Aero wheels are so cool and relevant. We will see more of these

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/Ozgje ... t-iaa1.jpg
https://images.hgmsites.net/hug/audi-r8 ... 9924_h.jpg
yes it's all about building new associations isn't it. Once we start to associate aero wheel covers with fast and efficient they'll be cool.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Manoah2u

bigger pic

looks effing hot 8)
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

MtthsMlw

I miss these FW endplates :lol:

F1fan2019

Why are they narrowing the front tire width? How will this make the cars faster? One side of the FIA wants to make the car faster while the other side wants to make it a safer, slower, quieter spectacle for kids.....I think the latter wins most of the time. What a joke.

izzy

Manoah2u wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 21:57
bigger pic

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EERz9JOWsAEyXzt.jpg:large

looks effing hot 8)
yes, so much better. How has it taken so long?

Zynerji

I'm more interested in what changes to the suspension was necessary to pull off 94 laps.

When Brundle drove the 18s on an GP2 car a few years ago, it was awful with the 13in wheel suspension settings.

strad

it was awful with the 13in wheel suspension settings.
I would certainly guess so. Musta been rock hard.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Holm86

F1fan2019 wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 22:13
Why are they narrowing the front tire width? How will this make the cars faster? One side of the FIA wants to make the car faster while the other side wants to make it a safer, slower, quieter spectacle for kids.....I think the latter wins most of the time. What a joke.
There's two things in it:
1. They want to reduce the wake from the front tires
2. I believe I have read at some point, that Pirelli said that because of the more rearward aero balance, it's very difficult to get these very wide front tires up to temperature

Jolle

Holm86 wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 08:49
F1fan2019 wrote:
There's two things in it:
1. They want to reduce the wake from the front tires
2. I believe I have read at some point, that Pirelli said that because of the more rearward aero balance, it's very difficult to get these very wide front tires up to temperature
I guess with narrowing the fronts, the braking distance will increase, helping with overtaking.

JordanMugen

F1fan2019 wrote:
The front tyres were only 245-255mm (255mm for Goodyear, 245mm for Pirelli (stilled used in F2) -- not sure about Brigdestone and Michelin) wide from the 1980's until 2016. :?:

In 1992, this saw Goodyear's 10" (255mm) wide front tyres being paired with Goodyear's 15" (380mm) wide rear tyres. This contributed to the more attractive shorter wheelbase cars with proportionate looking front tyres.

The current fixed weight distribution, and 305mm wide fronts and 405mm rears has exacerbated the problem of ultra-long cars. Not good IMO. Besides the absurdly wide front tyres just look plain silly.

Reducing the front tyre width to 270mm is absolutely a step in the right direction IMO. With a 270mm front, and 405mm rear it is still a increase in tyre width compared to the tyres used in the iconic early 90's era of F1.

ncx
ncx

ian_s wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 17:33
Big Tea wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 17:23
This rule will have to go hand-in-hand with tyre design, and the tyres will have to be designed to run at a lower temp.
Either that or everyone will have to take the life out of the tyre first lap.

It also helps the race after a safety car as the tyres are not up to race temp then either, as we often see with cars off on the restart.
the article says this:
The FIA notes that "tyres should provide safe performance when leaving the pits cold. The glass transition temperature must be chosen so that the tyres are never in a 'glassy state' when either the ambient or the track temperature is above 10 degrees centigrade."

i've never heard the term "glassy state" before, i assume it means the rubber is very hard when cold.
Below a certain temperature, polymers are into a "glassy" state, which is similar to that of ordinary everyday glass, that is, that of a liquid of very high viscosity. Alike glass, polymers in glassy state are hard and can break into pieces. If the temperature is increased sufficiently, they undergo a transition into a "rubbery" state, that is a state in which they exhibit flexibility and elastic properties commonly associated with rubber. The various transition temperatures depend on the specific polymer and impurities/inclusions.

This is just an approximate qualitative description. Details of behaviour may vary considerably between different polymers.

Unc1eM0nty

Ringleheim wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 12:53
My prediction: after all these "big"changes for 2021, the big teams will still do all the winning, the little and mid-pack teams will do no winning, and it will be difficult to pass.
These changes won't upset the established order, that's not what they're about, the top teams will still have the most talented engineers and drivers. The midfield teams will be closer though, at the moment the top teams can start on the last row and still collect points, this should stop that, and if they make a mistake the midfield teams should be able to get among them.

And yes it will be difficult to pass, but it should be, as long as they can get close enough for a fight, i'd be happy with that