2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

hasika wrote:
15 Sep 2019, 16:05
Wouter wrote:
15 Sep 2019, 09:32
A new Japanese article about the Honda engine. An interview with Honda F1 Yasuaki Asagi PU Development Manager.

Could someone who speaks Japanese translate the highlights? It is a bit confusing.

https://www.as-web.jp/f1/521822?all
Just pick up some interesting informations for me.

1.They found new derection of combustion development with spec3.The Spec4 is a evolution of it.The comubusion concept still have potential to develop so the Spec4 is not the end.
7.The first half of the seaon,what Red Bull requested most is qualifying performance, then "solve the start failures together"recently.
Thank you @Hasika.
The Power of Dreams!

etusch

hasika wrote:
15 Sep 2019, 16:05

5.Honda set a target figure before the start of the season,then made plans for the introduction of spec2,spec3,spec4.They made a predicion about how much the rivals will gain during this year based on previous years' experience.They felt if they can achieve the target figure,its possilbe to catch up with them.

6.He dont know if they can win suzuka or not,but Honda has already achieve the target figure with the Spec4.

Thank you for translation Hasika.
Thank you for news Wouter.

This 2 show me that they achieved what they planned and if their assumption about rivals development they already cathed up if they go beyond there is some job to do.

lio007

Any rumours of chassis updates for Singapore?
Unfortunately RBR is always veeeeeery quiet on their updates (compared to some other teams).
But on the other hand this has been the case in the last couple of years.

diffuser

Datco wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 12:34
Wouter wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 09:11
Artur Craft wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 08:32
Renault had a big jump in Spa and Monza. RB didn't
improve. The 25HP gain claim was an outright lie
Renault drove with very low downforce.
RBR did improve and the 25 HP gain wasn't a lie.

Max had to do a catch-up race and you than lose a lot of time.
In the open air he drove the same times as the front riders.
Kvyat also drove very good times until he dropped out.
You missed that Renault also now has 1010hp to 1015 hp lol😂
Before anyone says I am misquoting, yes some even say 1020hp
I don't think RBR problems are the PU. I wouldn't expect any miracles from more power. They just need to keep on keeping on. Sure the power helps with keeping up with the Jones...

Wouter wrote:
A new Japanese article about the Honda engine. An interview with Honda F1 Yasuaki Asagi PU Development Manager.

Could someone who speaks Japanese translate the highlights? It is a bit confusing.

Hi Wouter, all,

Translated line by line. I've pasted original Japanese scripts too. Sounded like they'll use Spec 4 for Suzuka.

====
――最新版スペック4の開発の肝はなんでしょう?
浅木泰昭センター長(以下、浅木センター長):秘密です(笑)。
AS(Auto-Sport Web): What was the core improvement (or breakthrough) in the latest Spec 4?
Asagi(Yasuaki Asagi, Head of Honda HRD Sakura): Confidential (smiling).

――これまでのスペック3は、ホンダジェットの知見を入れて、主にターボチャージャーの性能向上を目指したとのことでした。
浅木センター長:スペック3では、新たな燃焼の方向性も見つけていたんですね。そこからは、出したこともない馬力を出して、壊れたことのないところも壊れ出して、苦労しながら耐久性にもめどをつけた。それを進化させたのが今回のスペック4ですが、まだしゃぶり尽くしてないですね。なので、4で終わりではないです。
AS: You commented that the improvements in Spec 3, which were primarily made to turbocharger, came through your partnership with Honda Jet division.
Asagi: Yes. Actually, through the Spec 3 development, we had found new combustion concept, too. So, we've tried increased horsepower with it, at the level which we had never experienced, and consequently faced new reliability issues coming with it, which also we had never experienced before, like some parts going broken for the first time, but we managed to achieve reliability target for the Spec 3. Spec 4 has evolved such concept. However, we think Spec 4 is not "seasoned" enough and it has not fully extracted its potential yet. We should be able to extract more from it, moving forward.

――今シーズンのスペック投入がということですか?
浅木センター長:いえいえ、時期の話は別にして、燃焼分野でまだ伸び代はあるということです。
AS: Does it mean another spec this season?
Asagi: I meant, aside from release timing, we see potential to improve combustion engine further from Spec 4.

――スペック2は信頼性重視だったと思います。それがスペック3で、性能が一段階上がりました。今回のスペック4はどの部分の向上でしょうか。
浅木センター長:スペック3は高地対策も含めて、ターボに手を入れました。今回のスペック4では、内燃機関(ICE)のパワーアップですね。もちろんターボとICEはあくまで、セットになってるわけですが。
AS: We understand Spec 2 prioritized reliability, mostly, whereas Spec 3 stepped up performance. How would you describe the improvements made in Spec 4?
Asagi: In Spec 3, we had new turbo and also some specific countermeasures for high altitude tracks. In this Spec 4, it is pretty much power increase from ICE. Of course, turbo and ICE are not separable as a package in terms of performance increase, though.

――このまま行けば、日本GPはこの仕様で戦うことになりますか。
浅木センター長:そうですね。車体側の競争力も出てきましたし、鈴鹿でも十分戦えると思っています。ただ本当の勝負は来年だと思っていますから、そこに向けて準備をしていきたいです。
AS: Do you plan to race Japanese GP with the current Spec?
Asagi: Yes. Our chassis is improving too and we should be competitive enough with the current package for Suzuka. But for us, next year is a real bid for championship, so we'd like to prepare for it too.

――去年までのレッドブルは鈴鹿でコンスタントに表彰台に上がっていますが、優勝はできていません。今年はその部分、もう少し楽観的ですか?
浅木センター長:楽観的になれるかどうかは、そこまでのレースを見てからですね。相手がいての話ですし、彼らも進化していますから。ただ今年初めに据えたターゲットの出力は、出せていると思います。
AS: Red Bull has been strong and constantly got podiums at Suzuka in recent years, though they have not won. Do you feel a bit more optimistic for Suzuka this year, given the improvements made so far this season?
Asagi: It depends on competitors. They're not stopping, so we need to see how they will improve by then from here. But, for us, I can say we've achieved the target performance as we planned before the season started.

――スパ(・フランコルシャン)ではフェラーリやメルセデスも新しいスペックを投入しましたが、次々に壊れていました。
浅木センター長:あれは、どうしたんでしょうねえ。驚きました。そんなことがあるんだと。
AS: At Spa, Ferrari and Mercedes introduced new spec but got reliability issues.
Asagi: Yeah we were surprised actually. We did not expect they would have such issues.

――ライバルと比較して、スペック4では追い付けている手応えは感じていますか?
浅木センター長:そうあってほしいですが、今回の結果だけではなかなか分析も難しいですね。もう少し様子を見て、判断したいと思います。もちろん期待はしていますが。
AS: Compared to other manufacturers, do you feel Spec 4 performance has been matching its rivals?
Asagi: I hope so, but it may be difficult to analyze (the gap) just with these results (from Spa and Monza). We'd like to wait and see (more results). Of course I have such expectation for it.

――それだけのポテンシャルがありますか。
浅木センター長:パワーユニット単体で、メルセデスに今年中に追い付くことが、年初の目標でした。それが果たして、できているかどうか。
AS: But you feel Spec 4 does have such potential (to match top manufacturers)?
Asagi: Our goal we've set before this season started is for our PU alone (not including cars) to match Mercedes by end of this year. That is what it is (with Spec 4).

――そう思えるところまでは、来ていますか?
浅木センター長:可能性はあると思っています。
AS: So you think it's reached that point?
Asagi: Potentially.

――メルセデスに追い付くという目標は、去年までからすれば凄い目標だと思います。
浅木センター長:メルセデス、フェラーリに追い付くというのは、目標としてずっとやって来ました。ただ具体的な数字として、彼らのシーズン中の伸び代を読んで、われわれが追い付ける可能性があるなと思ったのは、今シーズンが初めてですね。
AS: Looking back to where you stood last year and prior, your goal to catch up with Mercedes this year may have sounded ambitious.
Asagi: Catching up with Mercedes and Ferrari has been our goal for a long time. However, this year, for the first time we feel it is (really) possible, with specific figures and improvement trajectories in our mind.

――スペック3を出した辺りで、行けるなと思いましたか?
浅木センター長:いやそうではなく、今シーズンが始まる前にそう読んで、2、3、4の投入計画を立てたということです。そしてライバルたちの伸び代が、年率これぐらいだろうと読んだ。過去の伸び代から、推測してね。だったらうちがこれぐらい出せば、追い付いてもおかしくない。その辺を、具体的なターゲットにしました。
AS: When did you realize it? Around Spec 3?
Asagi: No. It was projected before season started. We have estimated improvement margins from rivals, and set concrete figures for our target, like "if we can achieve this figure, it's not impossible to match them."

――今のパッケージの戦闘力からすれば、今後最終戦までにあと何勝かできる可能性はありますか?
浅木センター長:コースの得手不得手は3メーカーそれぞれありますけど、われわれも勝ってもおかしくないコースはあるでしょうね。
AS: Considering current package, do you feel you can pick up more wins this season?
Asagi: Top three teams are suited to different tracks but yeah there may be some tracks that are suited to us where we could win.

――そのうちのひとつに、鈴鹿も入っていますか?
浅木センター長:ホンダとしては、そこでいい成果を出したい。それを目標にやっています。
AS: Suzuka is one of them?
Asagi: As Honda, we'd like to have good performance and results. That's a goal.

――大得意ではないとはいえ、まったくダメでもない。
浅木センター長:そうですね。パワーさえ近くまで出せれば、車体はいいですから勝ってもおかしくないです。ただ相手がそこまでに、どれだけ伸びるかですね。彼らの新スペックが思ったより伸びていると、苦しいですね。
AS: (For RBR-Honda, Suzuka is) not the ideal track but not too bad?
Asagi: Yes. If our engine performance is close enough (to Mercedes and Ferrari), it's not very surprising for us to win, since our chassis is good. If their new specs are improving more than we expect by then, it might get a bit more difficult.

――レッドブルからの一番のリクエストは何かありますか?
浅木センター長:前半に一番言われていたのは、予選のパフォーマンスですね。予選一発を、何とかしてくれと。最近はスタート失敗ですね。それはいっしょに解決してくれと言っていますが(笑)。そこは共通認識というか、同じ思いでいます。
AS: What is the top priority request from Red Bull?
Asagi: In the first half, that was quali pace. Recently it's start issues, but we are discussing like we should solve it as a team. On that issue, we are aligned and we know how we work together.

Hi Wouter, all,

I've done line-by-line translation from the interview with Asagi. https://www.as-web.jp/f1/521822

Enjoy!

=====
AS (AutoSport Web) : What was the core improvement (or breakthrough) in the latest Spec 4?
Asagi (Yasuhiro Asagi, Head of HRD Sakura): Confidential (smiling).

AS: You commented that the improvements in Spec 3, which were primarily made to turbocharger, came through your partnership with Honda Jet division.
Asagi: Yes. Actually, through the Spec 3 development, we had found new combustion concept, too. So, we've tried increased horsepower with it, at the level which we had never experienced, and consequently faced new reliability issues coming with it, which also we had never experienced before, like some parts going broken for the first time, but we managed to achieve reliability target for the Spec 3. Spec 4 has evolved such concept. However, we think it is not yet "seasoned" and it has not fully extracted its potential. So we should be able to extract more from it, moving forward.

AS: Does it mean another spec this season?
Asagi: I meant, aside from release timing, we see potential to improve combustion engine further from Spec 4.

AS: We understand Spec 2 prioritized reliability, mostly, whereas Spec 3 stepped up performance. How would you describe the improvements made in Spec 4?
Asagi: In Spec 3, we had new turbo and also some specific countermeasures for high altitude tracks. In this Spec 4, it is pretty much power increase from ICE. Of course, turbo and ICE are not separable as a package, though.

AS: Do you plan to race Japanese GP with the current Spec?
Asagi: Yes. Chassis is improving too and we should be competitive enough as package for Suzuka. But for us, next year is a real bid for championship, so we'd like to prepare for it too.

AS: Red Bull has been strong and constantly got podiums at Suzuka in recent years, though they have not won. Do you feel a bit more optimistic for Suzuka this year, given the improvements made so far this season?
Asagi: It depends on competitors. They're not stopping, so we need to see how they will improve by then from here. But, for us, I can say we've achieved the target performance as we planned before the season started.

AS: At Spa, Ferrari and Mercedes introduced new spec but got reliability issues.
Asagi: Yeah we were surprised actually. We did not expect they would have such issues.

AS: Compared to other manufacturers, do you feel Spec 4 performance has been matching its rivals?
Asagi: I hope so, but it may be difficult to analyze (the gap) just with these results (from Spa and Monza). We'd like to wait and see (more results). Of course I have such expectation for it.

AS: But you feel Spec 4 does have such potential (to match top manufacturers)?
Asagi: Our goal we've set before this season started is for our PU alone (not including cars) to match Mercedes by end of this year. That is what it is (with Spec 4).

AS: So you think it's reached or been reaching that point?
Asagi: Potentially.

AS: Looking back to where you stood last year and prior, your goal to catch up with Mercedes this year may have sounded ambitious.
Asagi: Catching up with Mercedes and Ferrari has been our goal for a long time. However, this year, for the first time we feel it is (really) possible, with specific figures and improvement trajectories in our mind.

AS: When did you realize it? Around Spec 3?
Asagi: No. It was projected before season started. We have estimated improvement margins from rivals, and set concrete figures for our target, like "if we can achieve this figure, it's not impossible to match them."

AS: Considering current package, do you feel you can pick up more wins this season?
Asagi: Top three teams are suited to different tracks but yeah there may be some tracks that are suited to us where we could win.

AS: Suzuka is one of them?
Asagi: As Honda, we'd like to have good performance and results. That's a goal.

AS: (For RBR-Honda, Suzuka is) not the ideal track but not too bad?
Asagi: Yes. If our engine performance is close enough (to Merc and Ferrari), it's not very surprising for us to win, since our chassis is good. If their new specs are improving more than we expect by then, it might get a bit more difficult.

Asagi: In the first half, that was quali pace. Recently it's start issues, but we are discussing like we should solve it as a team. We are aligned on the issue and we know how we work together.

etusch

lio007 wrote:
15 Sep 2019, 18:32
Any rumours of chassis updates for Singapore?
Unfortunately RBR is always veeeeeery quiet on their updates (compared to some other teams).
But on the other hand this has been the case in the last couple of years.

They are working as a team and this part of interview show what is their real concentration.

Asagi: Yes. Chassis is improving too and we should be competitive enough as package for Suzuka. But for us, next year is a real bid for championship, so we'd like to prepare for it too.

Wouter

1717 wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 03:35
Wouter wrote:

Hi Wouter, all,

Translated line by line. I've pasted original Japanese scripts too. Sounded like they'll use Spec 4 for Suzuka.
====
――最新版スペック4の開発の肝はなんでしょう?
浅木泰昭センター長(以下、浅木センター長):秘密です(笑)。
AS(Auto-Sport Web): What was the core improvement (or breakthrough) in the latest Spec 4?
Asagi(Yasuaki Asagi, Head of Honda HRD Sakura): Confidential (smiling).
――レッドブルからの一番のリクエストは何かありますか?
浅木センター長:前半に一番言われていたのは、予選のパフォーマンスですね。予選一発を、何とかしてくれと。最近はスタート失敗ですね。それはいっしょに解決してくれと言っていますが(笑)。そこは共通認識というか、同じ思いでいます。
Asagi: In the first half, that was quali pace. Recently it's start issues, but we are discussing like we should solve it as a team. On that issue, we are aligned and we know how we work together.
You have not only translated the requested highlights, but even the entire text.
That must have taken you a lot of time.
Thank you very much for that @ 1717.

Asagi doesn't really give a direct answer to everything.
It will not surprise me if they are going to introduce a new, even more improved spec 4 in Sochi, and not the current, as he said.
The Power of Dreams!

lio007

Sorry OT.
I'm a bit confused: is Yasuhiro Asagi = Yasuaki Asaki ???
I only know the latter.

hasika

lio007 wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 13:46
Sorry OT.
I only know the latter.
Yeah...Yasuaki Asaki,Honda F1 PU Development Manager.

ispano6

hasika wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 15:22
lio007 wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 13:46
Sorry OT.
I only know the latter.
Yeah...Yasuaki Asaki,Honda F1 PU Development Manager.
Yeah these auto translate names. Toyoji and Asagi, hah do these folks even know Japanese names? Ironic that the bad ones get uprated, and the proper ones don't. So I've just stopped doing it. Besides, nothing new to report anyway, the real stuff you won't hear about until later.
8)

Wouter

ispano6 wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 16:08
Yeah these auto translate names. Toyoji and Asagi, hah do these folks even know Japanese names? Ironic that the bad ones get uprated, and the proper ones don't. So I've just stopped doing it. Besides, nothing new to report anyway, the real stuff you won't hear about until later.
8)
" ...hah do these folks even know Japanese names? "

Who do you mean with "these folks"?
The Power of Dreams!

ispano6

It's read Toyoharu and Asaki. Toyoji and Asagi are auto translated words using some browser extension. You would think if they knew who these people are that they would correct the names.

These folks as in the people who are obsessed with getting likes posting google translated text from foreign websites that exists that they can find or learn of from others. (sure I get people ask Source?)

Truth is all these websites regurgitate the same post race interview. The detailed stuff is behind paywall, print magazine, or insider knowledge. And the real stuff you won't hear of until much much later anyway after there has been time for REAL analysis and teardown with Toro Rosso engineers.

loner

who ever threw spell on RBR 4 cars in Monza it just worked flawlessly :lol:
a crash , front wing , speed limiter , a retire , eating the grass , eating the gravel
should be some kind of Karma in Singapore .. all 4 cars finish in top ten :mrgreen:
para bellum.

KelsO

In the paddock suspect that Ferrari circumvents the regulation or uses gray zones. Horner sent a request to the FIA for clarification.
Here is an Italian article. Perhaps this is just a translation of the AMUS article.
https://www.f1analisitecnica.com/2019/0 ... refresh_ce