Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
maguetox

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

loner wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 11:29
maguetox wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 21:23
If I understand correctly, it will depend of the situation, and in Monza with the tow the final gear maybe was a little short.
If the problem is the final gear, Mexico will be a place where RBR can have a serious problem.
why Mexico ?!!
Because Mexico City with its thin air, at 2285 meters above sea level, the F1 cars are reaching 370 KPH or more down the main straight, and if I not wrong, here is where the F1 cars are reaching the highest speed of the whole calendar.

But apparently the gearing was not the cause of the lack of top speed in Monza and is more Honda setup related, so this is already solve, per Jos Verstappen comments.

NL_Fer

GhostF1 wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 06:20
I think it was mapping based because Max hit 357 during the race early on, and he came on the radio saying he had the same problem as in qualifying and lost power. His engineer said "yep we see it, power should be coming back though, keep an eye on the... well you know what to look for".
So they are definitely keeping something under wraps, how the PU is operated or what its doing. Power came back but the engine would not exceed 12,300rpm. Which kept him at 342ish, hence stuck behind Perez.
And apparently Jos said the issue has been sorted and won't happen at the next race recently on TV.
Interesting, because the fault during Q1 was caused when Max drove over a bump and had some wheelspin. Maybe the wheelspin caused the pu to overrev and go into error.

But it cannot be said Mexico has the same problem. At 2200m altitude, the turbo probably reaches it’s limit in airvolume it can handle before other problems.

loner

maguetox wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 15:54

Because Mexico City with its thin air, at 2285 meters above sea level, the F1 cars are reaching 370 KPH or more down the main straight, and if I not wrong, here is where the F1 cars are reaching the highest speed of the whole calendar.

But apparently the gearing was not the cause of the lack of top speed in Monza and is more Honda setup related, so this is already solve, per Jos Verstappen comments.
thnx
wow honestly i didn't know you can hit 370 kph in Mexico.
para bellum.

MtthsMlw

loner wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 20:53
maguetox wrote:

thnx
wow honestly i didn't know you can hit 370 kph in Mexico.
You might not make the corner tho :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wsCRwVTbms

McMika98

maguetox wrote:

The top speed at Mexico is achieved with maximum downforce wing configuration. The thin air has so little resistance that you travel faster for same amount of torque. So 330 at Monza would be 360 at Mexico, gearing doea not come into the equation.

loner

MtthsMlw wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 21:06
with few locks it seems :mrgreen:
para bellum.

maguetox

loner wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 23:13
MtthsMlw wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 21:06
with few locks it seems :mrgreen:
Last year Ocon made 364.9 on the speed trap, too slow. :D :D :D

GhostF1

godlameroso wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 13:28
GhostF1 wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 06:20
I think it was mapping based because Max hit 357 during the race early on, and he came on the radio saying he had the same problem as in qualifying and lost power. His engineer said "yep we see it, power should be coming back though, keep an eye on the... well you know what to look for".
So they are definitely keeping something under wraps, how the PU is operated or what its doing. Power came back but the engine would not exceed 12,300rpm. Which kept him at 342ish, hence stuck behind Perez.
And apparently Jos said the issue has been sorted and won't happen at the next race recently on TV.
New fuel wasn't ready, should be ready for Singapore. Although they may revert back to spec 2 as there aren't any long straights. New fuel gives a bit more power and combustion stability.
Personally, I don't think Spec 2 will see another race at least in the Red Bull. Every track has a chance for them to win, running an older used unit opens them to potential reliability risks. I feel like they'll try and run it to the end, maybe with a shot of another upgrade in Sochi for the engines to be in the pool.

Alexf1

What about spec3. Only 4 weekends used including a wet race where wot % is low. Is spec2 the new friday engine and spec3 the spare race engine?

Alexf1

If they use spec3 in Sochi race and Abu Dhabi race then spec4 only has to do 6 qualy&races.

daniellammers

Alexf1 wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 11:39
If they use spec3 in Sochi race and Abu Dhabi race then spec4 only has to do 6 qualy&races.
They'll have penalties in Sochi iirc, to go all out in Japan
You won't catch me driving a race car that I have built.

- Colin Chapman

Alexf1

Yes. But could be only new turbo with 5 place grid penalty.

Alexf1

What also could happen in Sochi is the following: on friday add another spec4 + new type turbo. And as of saturday return to monza spec4 and add new type turbo to it. This way you can add 2 new turbos in 1 weekend but on different ICE. Is that allowed?

MtthsMlw

Alexf1 wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 21:39
What also could happen in Sochi is the following: on friday add another spec4 + new type turbo. And as of saturday return to monza spec4 and add new type turbo to it. This way you can add 2 new turbos in 1 weekend but on different ICE. Is that allowed?
When you are over the allowed limit you can only use the newest unit that you introduced over a weekend - if you take more than one - for future races.
So in your example you end up with one new ICE and one new TC.

honda_fun

Intercooler in the left side and its piping connection joints.
Is the gold color pipe attached to the compressor?