Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Big Tea

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

sosic2121 wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 19:49
LM10 wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 18:54
Big Tea wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 18:45

I can not help thinking of traction control. Not more power, but getting it down better.
Ferrari is accelerating faster especially from more or less 150 km/h onwords. Every F1 car is easily at full throttle at these speeds and puts all the power on the track.
Also, if that was the case (superior traction) then terminal velocity would be similar, but ferrari was much quicker at the end of the straights.
If it had 10kph start (while the other car was unable to put the max amount of power down) would it not carry that advantage until it hit gearing limits?
They would only be mapped to produce what power they could use.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

digitalrurouni

Theory one says that under certain conditions Ferrari is able to feed 160 instead of 120 kilowatts from the battery into the system. The slow lap is needed to fully charge the battery beforehand.
Is that legally allowed was my first thought. But if it is that's impressive.

MtthsMlw

digitalrurouni wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 22:02
Theory one says that under certain conditions Ferrari is able to feed 160 instead of 120 kilowatts from the battery into the system. The slow lap is needed to fully charge the battery beforehand.
That is absolutely not legal and most likely not what they are doing. I just assume that system in this case means MGU-K.

Anyways why is there this discussion again? Last year FIA did their checks, understood Ferrari's system an deemed it legal.

sosic2121

Big Tea wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 20:53
If it had 10kph start (while the other car was unable to put the max amount of power down) would it not carry that advantage until it hit gearing limits?
They would carry that advantage to, let's say, 250kph. So in that case Ferrari would be quicker only on straights to both Lesmos.
On long straights the biggest differentiator is drag.

Pierce89

Big Tea wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 20:53
sosic2121 wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 19:49
LM10 wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 18:54

Ferrari is accelerating faster especially from more or less 150 km/h onwords. Every F1 car is easily at full throttle at these speeds and puts all the power on the track.
Also, if that was the case (superior traction) then terminal velocity would be similar, but ferrari was much quicker at the end of the straights.
No. It doesn't work that way because the faster car is perpetually at a higher drag level due to its higher velocity.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

digitalrurouni

MtthsMlw wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 22:09
digitalrurouni wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 22:02
That is absolutely not legal and most likely not what they are doing. I just assume that system in this case means MGU-K.

Anyways why is there this discussion again? Last year FIA did their checks, understood Ferrari's system an deemed it legal.
Oh yeah don't get me wrong I don't think there's anything illegal with the Ferrari at all. I thought it was all above board what they're doing. It's amazing to see the Ferrari go!!

wunderkind

water injection?

chaoticflounder

Forgive my knowledge of the base rules.
But does anything prohibit the storage of compressed air from the compressor on the turbo charger and release of that air at an opportune time to impinge on the exhaust turbine and perform usable work work similar to what is done in the Koenigsegg Jesko?

toraabe

I assume they are bypassing the detectors. How. No idea. But perhaps they are using frequencies in combination in clever usage (perhaps phasing out) of the dual 3 phase battery setup that makes the sensors unable to measure the correct load on the mgu k and h
Last edited by toraabe on 18 Sep 2019, 06:22, edited 2 times in total.

ENGINE TUNER

chaoticflounder wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 18:50
But does anything prohibit the storage of compressed air from the compressor on the turbo charger and release of that air at an opportune time to impinge on the exhaust turbine and perform usable work work similar to what is done in the Koenigsegg Jesko?
It would make more sense to harvest that energy thru the mguh rather than move all that air around.

ENGINE TUNER

Could Ferrari be opening up the wastegates early in the acceleration phase during the race as is reportedly done in the "qually" mode for a little extra low end power?

Brundle often mentions a peculiar sound when the Ferrari passes him as he travels around the track during practice sessions.

Dr. Acula

chaoticflounder wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 18:50
Yes there is a rule which prohibit that. Basically all air which is going through the compressor has to enter the combustion chamber. They are not allowed to build any system to bypass this route.

NL_Fer

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 19:48
Could Ferrari be opening up the wastegates early in the acceleration phase during the race as is reportedly done in the "qually" mode for a little extra low end power?

Brundle often mentions a peculiar sound when the Ferrari passes him as he travels around the track during practice sessions.
It could be done, even one or two seconds would give some extra boost at the start of a straight. It a cost of more harvesting and fuel consumption.

But i believe there is no trickery. Just better, more efficiënt combustion and more ERS harvesting.

ENGINE TUNER

NL_Fer wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 20:17
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 19:48

It could be done, even one or two seconds would give some extra boost at the start of a straight. It a cost of more harvesting and fuel consumption.

But i believe there is no trickery. Just better, more efficiënt combustion and more ERS harvesting.
"Better, more efficient combustion" is at odds with the reports that Ferrari are burning 5 to 10kg more fuel per race then Merc(even while Ferrari carry less drag). It is quite possible that they have decided to keep the excess fuel mass for more power. Interesting tactics😉

dans79

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 20:24

"Better, more efficient combustion" is at odds with the reports that Ferrari are burning 5 to 10kg more fuel per race then Merc(even while Ferrari carry less drag). It is quite possible that they have decided to keep the excess fuel mass for more power. Interesting tactics😉
It will probably be something they change for next year, as the low drag high fuel/power philosophy hasn't served them very well this year.
197 104 103 7