2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RonDennis

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

diffuser wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 01:04
RonDennis wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 23:50
McLaren also brought updates this weekend to improve the performance in the slow corners.
They brought minor shiit. They've been done with 2019 since the Hungary upgrade.
You work for McLaren F1? Sainz and Seidl both specifically referred to the updates, so it was at least something to talk about.

Seidl:
“It’s tough in this heat but the entire team in the garage and on the pit-wall did a great job. We also had good support from the factory with updates that gave us strong pace all weekend. It makes us very optimistic for the races ahead. Next stop, Sochi.”

genarro

diffuser wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 01:09
SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 01:08
diffuser wrote:
They brought minor shiit. They've been done with 2019 since the Hungary upgrade.
The floor change isn’t minor... And Seidl mentioned that most of the updates for Singapore weren’t visible (so most probably suspension related).

They did mentioned that there were a few more parts already on development that should be introduce in the next couple of races.

I wouldn’t expect any major new developments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's minor stuff
sometimes little chages make all the difference. just look at RB's newfront wing

Xero

SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 21:33
I want to believe that Mclaren is definitely better than Renault, but I still believe that the tires are still a big factor, in particular in Singapore... The difference in performance that Mercedes showed in Qualifying was due to how they attacked the outlap and the temperature in their tires... It seems that this is something that may have affected the performance of the different cars... What is clear is that Mclaren seems to be having less issues than the rest to manage their tires and that seems to be the big differentiation.
You're right about working and managing the tyres being a key factor, but the fact that McLaren can do it better than a lot of teams, including Renault, instantly makes it a better car. Look at Haas as an example; great PU, good aero package, single lap pace really decent, promising in testing. When it came to yesterdays race they fell down the standings like a led balloon, simply because they can't work their tyres. Despite all that promise, the car is inherently poor when it matters most.

Good weekend for the team! Qualifying pace was very promising, half a second quicker than Renault, and over a second to the Racing Point/Alfa/Toro Rosso. The upgrades brought to Singapore have definitely improved the mechanical grip of the car, probably due to Key's progress on the 2020 car being (partly) migrated to this years. Race pace was strong, although masked by the tyre nursing early on. Norris was the only midfield car with a regular top 10 race, with Sainz and Hulk taking damage early on, so nothing to really compare it to. Held off those benefiting from the safety cars fairly comfortably, so that's also encouraging.

That's 3 races in a row now McLaren have been robbed of some top results. Would be sitting with well over 100 points with those, which would have been a realistic target at the start of the season. They're clearly going to smash that now in the remaining races, so definitely exceeding expectations so far. Looking forward to Sochi now!

Ground Effect

I think McLaren really benefited from the practice of using FP sessions as test runs for parts planned for future races. This seems to have given them enough info and data to ensure they work out of the box once they're introduced. Those sessions usually meant Carlos was on the back foot for the weekend, since he did most of the testing. But more often than not, he recovered well on Sunday's.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

I personally don't think this car is far off from clear 4th best car. Whilst it's not the best in all conditions, it is the best in most conditions and in the last few races we were/should/would have been best of the rest, as we have for most of the races we competed in. I think we are best of the rest in 9 races so far, with another three that could have been, with varying degrees of certainty were it not for retirements. 9-12 out of 15 races that we were the 4th fastest car (around that in anv case, I haven't gone and checked all the races so don't get narccy if that isn't exactly right). I think the chassis/aero deserve more credit than the points reflect. Got to say, I'm delighted with the car right now. If the car had an overall four tenths more speed per lap in it, we would be chasing the occasional podium on merit, I really do feel we are getting close.

But now it is down to the winter lottery, the car won't get much better or worse for the rest of the season. Of course we will all celebrate clinching 4th and maybe a lucky podium, but realistically speaking, the next point we will receive an update to say the car is pushing on hard, is at the winter testing.

So now I have only half an eye on this season.

My Mclaren boxes are ticked this year.

:D
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:I personally don't think this car is far off from clear 4th best car. Whilst it's not the best in all conditions, it is the best in most conditions and in the last few races we were/should/would have been best of the rest, as we have for most of the races we competed in. I think we are best of the rest in 9 races so far, with another three that could have been, with varying degrees of certainty were it not for retirements. 9-12 out of 15 races that we were the 4th fastest car (around that in anv case, I haven't gone and checked all the races so don't get narccy if that isn't exactly right). I think the chassis/aero deserve more credit than the points reflect. Got to say, I'm delighted with the car right now. If the car had an overall four tenths more speed per lap in it, we would be chasing the occasional podium on merit, I really do feel we are getting close.

But now it is down to the winter lottery, the car won't get much better or worse for the rest of the season. Of course we will all celebrate clinching 4th and maybe a lucky podium, but realistically speaking, the next point we will receive an update to say the car is pushing on hard, is at the winter testing.

I share your feelings... Considering what sensible targets could have been determined for this season after, the team has to be close to meet them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f1rules

i agree with the above, and this pretty much confirms, had it not been for bad luck in spa the picture would be even more clear,

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 14:45
mwillems wrote:I personally don't think this car is far off from clear 4th best car. Whilst it's not the best in all conditions, it is the best in most conditions and in the last few races we were/should/would have been best of the rest, as we have for most of the races we competed in. I think we are best of the rest in 9 races so far, with another three that could have been, with varying degrees of certainty were it not for retirements. 9-12 out of 15 races that we were the 4th fastest car (around that in anv case, I haven't gone and checked all the races so don't get narccy if that isn't exactly right). I think the chassis/aero deserve more credit than the points reflect. Got to say, I'm delighted with the car right now. If the car had an overall four tenths more speed per lap in it, we would be chasing the occasional podium on merit, I really do feel we are getting close.

I share your feelings... Considering what sensible targets could have been determined for this season after, the team has to be close to meet them all.

I think the only point to take a shine off the year will be that revenue in the 1st half of the season only increased by 10%.

10% of McLaren F1s income is nowhere near enough to plug the shortfall. But then I expect a boot load of sponsor Bonus' for finishing fourth. Plus prize money. But still, on the finances we have some distance to go to allow us to compete.

And those finances will be crucial in lieu of some kind of generational design genius' /gods such as Newey.

SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

I think the only point to take a shine off the year will be that revenue in the 1st half of the season only increased by 10%.

10% of McLaren F1s income is nowhere near enough to plug the shortfall. But then I expect a boot load of sponsor Bonus' for finishing fourth. Plus prize money. But still, on the finances we have some distance to go to allow us to compete.

And those finances will be crucial in lieu of some kind of generational design genius' /gods such as Newey.
The financial piece will probably only hurt for a couple more years... Mclaren’s budget is pretty close to the proposed budget cap, therefore they will maintain their structure for the most part which brings stability and continuity... As long as the team is viable financially, not a lot to be concerned about.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 17:55
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

The financial piece will probably only hurt for a couple more years... Mclaren’s budget is pretty close to the proposed budget cap, therefore they will maintain their structure for the most part which brings stability and continuity... As long as the team is viable financially, not a lot to be concerned about.

Edit: Ignore this post, I just wrote about the accounts and how the debt servicing would reduce the final amount of money from the budget that is available for racing. It won't so I deleted the text, I just remembered that they took the hit as a fully fledged loss and accrued the loss into an account dedicated to ongoing business losses. So they didn't have the money and spent it anyway, so they did spend £225m on the car.

Brain drain, time for bed.

diffuser

RonDennis wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 12:46
diffuser wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 23:50
McLaren also brought updates this weekend to improve the performance in the slow corners.
You work for McLaren F1? Sainz and Seidl both specifically referred to the updates, so it was at least something to talk about.

Seidl:
“It’s tough in this heat but the entire team in the garage and on the pit-wall did a great job. We also had good support from the factory with updates that gave us strong pace all weekend. It makes us very optimistic for the races ahead. Next stop, Sochi.”
I didn't say they didn't have updates, just that they're minor. Ferrari's update is what I call a good size update.

M840TR

diffuser wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 02:12
RonDennis wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Seidl:
I didn't say they didn't have updates, just that they're minor. Ferrari's update is what I call a good size update.
Well, to be fair it’s basically the same floor they’ve been trying to get to work since last year so...

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 08:33
diffuser wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 02:12
RonDennis wrote:

Seidl:
Well, to be fair it’s basically the same floor they’ve been trying to get to work since last year so...
Nice McLarenesque nose too.

bauc

SmallSoldier wrote:

I agree completely on above, cant wait for 2020
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare