2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
604gtir

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Zak's done a great job in the past years
Key, Seidl, Mercedes

ThePapayaJaguar

ThePapayaJaguar wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 10:10
McL-H wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 08:44
I am not sure I would be to happy with Mercedes engines as long as the factory team is still around. According to Ron Dennis, McLaren was given engines with lower power output in 2013 en 2014 than the factory team was given. Why would Mercedes allow us to compete with them now?

It’s my opinion that McLaren needs works team status in order to get back to the front. It doesn’t matter if this is with Renault, Honda or Mercedes.. But if you cannot get it, it’s best to stick with what you have.. changing engine often makes you do a step back because you need to make alterations to the car to fit it..
Providing lower spec PU's to customers is illegal now. You don't necessarily take a step backwards just because of a new PU. Late switches of PU's will obviously increase the likeliness of the chassis having some sort of major flaw as we saw with 2018. In James Key We Trust. Credit due to Eddie Jordan for leaking this weeks ago. Wonder who his source was.

604gtir

ThePapayaJaguar wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 10:25
ThePapayaJaguar wrote:
McL-H wrote:
I am not sure I would be to happy with Mercedes engines as long as the factory team is still around. According to Ron Dennis, McLaren was given engines with lower power output in 2013 en 2014 than the factory team was given. Why would Mercedes allow us to compete with them now?

It’s my opinion that McLaren needs works team status in order to get back to the front. It doesn’t matter if this is with Renault, Honda or Mercedes.. But if you cannot get it, it’s best to stick with what you have.. changing engine often makes you do a step back because you need to make alterations to the car to fit it..
Providing lower spec PU's to customers is illegal now. You don't necessarily take a step backwards just because of a new PU. Late switches of PU's will obviously increase the likeliness of the chassis having some sort of major flaw as we saw with 2018. In James Key We Trust. Credit due to Eddie Jordan for leaking this weeks ago. Wonder who his source was.
i think if anything returning to the mercedes layout isnt that big a deal since the honda layout was similar.

loner

Fortune Favors those who dare.
credit to Ron Dennis who tried to win titles again .. as some hardcore Mclaren fan once said i have no problem if we have troubles with Honda for 5 years if we will win the other 5.. unfortunately didn't go that way.
good for Mclaren to have the Mercedes PU again they had glory together of course, it will bring back strength,stability and clear directions.
para bellum.

CHT
CHT

wunderkind wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 06:06
CHT wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 03:21
Mclaren engine deal with Merc could possibly lead to Merc AMG buying over the entire Mclaren brand all together
Please don't. It didn't happen the first time (in hindsight, for good reasons) and I hope it will not happen now. McLaren adds nothing to the Daimler portfolio.
Daimler still doesnt have a standalone super/hypercar brand in their portfolio, while Mclaren is lacking the economy of scale to keep pace with competition as car industry start moving towards EV technology. Sometime things like this happen not because of choice but out of necessity.

McL-H

ThePapayaJaguar wrote:
McL-H wrote:

That's illegal now.
It was illegal then too.

martinbeiker

Norris out of the car, looks like they are removing the floor.

Looks like nothing serious, some aero test on the diffuser.
Last edited by martinbeiker on 28 Sep 2019, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.

Nonserviam85

Great news for McLaren, I start to believe more and more now that Mercedes will retire as a team and stay as a PU provider only

AfzMoha

I wonder what’s going to happen with the Petrobras partnership, seeing that we’re going with a Merc PU. Will we go with Petronas, similar to what every other Mercedes powered teams are doing?

Ground Effect

McL-H wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 11:24
ThePapayaJaguar wrote:
McL-H wrote:

That's illegal now.
It was illegal then too.
There were loopholes then, not anymore, since 2018.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

M840TR

AfzMoha wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 11:44
I wonder what’s going to happen with the Petrobras partnership, seeing that we’re going with a Merc PU. Will we go with Petronas, similar to what every other Mercedes powered teams are doing?
Petrobras still doesn't provide the fuel and if they find any disadvantages relative to Petronas they might limit the deal entirely to a sponsorship capacity.

Ground Effect

M840TR wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 12:31
AfzMoha wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 11:44
Petrobras still doesn't provide the fuel and if they find any disadvantages relative to Petronas they might limit the deal entirely to a sponsorship capacity.
Aren’t they loosing the Petrobras sponsorship altogether?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

Andres125sx

Hopefully...

a) Mercedes focused on 2021 PU sooner than any other thanks to its domination and that´s the reason Ferrari is a better PU today

b) Mercedes will retire from F1 in the medium term (5-7 years) when FE has evolved enough to be a real threat in media impact to F1, so McLaren may become Mercedes works team

We must keep in mind Daimler annouced they´ll stop any ICE development to focus on EVs, and also that they´re entering FE as an works team in 2020 moving people from F1 team to FE team

Darth-Piekus

So the Empire of Mclaren Mercedes is gonna strike back I see. It's up to James Key and the team then to nullify the difference in aerodynamics between Mclaren and the first 3.

Ground Effect

No Mercedes customer in Q3... 🤔