2019 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 27 - 29 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Morteza

Re: 2019 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 27 - 29 September

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

MtthsMlw

Mini sectors:
Leclerc is 7 tenths ahead until turn 16 and only really loses out there and turn 17.

Mansell89
Mansell89

What tyres did Max use in Q2?

MtthsMlw

Mansell89 wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 20:59
Softs, like anyone else but Merc.

Mansell89
Mansell89

MtthsMlw wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 21:00
Mansell89 wrote:
Thanks.

I actually think if we had a wet race or a damp race Max has a really big chance tomorrow, his car has looked in good shape and well balanced- something that could be vital in changeable conditions.

Hopefully we get an interesting race

zibby43
zibby43

Mansell89 wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 21:15
MtthsMlw wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 21:00
Mansell89 wrote:
Thanks.

I actually think if we had a wet race or a damp race Max has a really big chance tomorrow, his car has looked in good shape and well balanced- something that could be vital in changeable conditions.

Hopefully we get an interesting race
I think the chance for rain tomorrow is quite low (20%, maybe). That being said, seems like Sochi is a region difficult to forecast (either that, or the forecasts in that area of the world are garbage).

321apex
321apex

Carl Mccoy wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 14:43
Vettel is no match for Charles Leclerc.
Exactly. It becomes evident how much Vettel has been leaving on the table.

atanatizante

There was someone who said earlier in the race thread something about Merc was gonna start on the M tyre but, unfortunately, I couldn`t remind who was due to a little problem with my memory … could someone remind me who was that? Never mind 😊

On Q1 LEC was the only driver on M tyre and did a 1:33.613 on his fastest lap – lap 2 – and after a 2 cooldown runs, something like HAM was doing in FP2 laps sim race… Then he was pushing again setting the fastest S1 until the session was red-flagged for Albon`s crash, presumably Ferrari was trying to see had they could use them in Q2. But Ferrari abandoned the idea just after VET fails to set a time on the same tyre compound and almost lost the car in turn 15 due to poor rear grip. And that was despite Leclerc was only 4,5 tenths slower than HAM which was topping the timesheets on the S tyre on a shorter 3 lap stint…

On Q2 HAM set his fastest time – 1:33.134 – on the M tyre and was precisely 7 tenths behind LEC on S tyre both doing a 3-lap stint. So, on the same track temp – 31 deg.C – at almost 25min. apart HAM was almost 5 tenths quicker than LEC. Track evolution or was just Merc setting up the car mainly for the M tyre bearing in mind they`ll do at least 2/3 of the race on this one.

I remind you that S tyre – C4 - has the operation window between 90-120 deg.C, then the M tyre – C3 – between 105-135 deg.C and finally the H tyre – C2 – from 110-135 deg.C. I know that F2 is a world apart from F1 but it gives us some good indications tyre wise and from what we could see on the main race (just 45min. after the qualy), the M tyre was “in the window” at 30 deg.C track temp at the beginning of the race which was only 1 deg.C lower than we have had in F1 Q2 qualy. Also interesting was that at the end of the race track temp just dropped to 28 deg.C and the S tyre went to the cliff just after 2 laps!! An interesting question regarding this matter: are they allowed to change the tyres on the final lap as MSC did in Silverstone 1998?

Now regarding race pace, Pirelli said that in theory S tyre is some 6 tenths faster than M tyre which is the same 6 tenths faster than the H tyre one. Practically, after FP2 analysis HAM on the M tyre was on average (after adding the 1:38.055 last time) at 1:38.933 which is just 2,7 tenths slower from LEC S tyre stint average with 1:38.669, hence that`s the reason Merc was setting the car for …

Tomorrow at the start, had I been HAM, I would let VET pass me for at least 2 reasons: a). not to have a clash and spoil the championship chances and b). don`t think we`d see again the same tyre nursing phase for knowing that VET has something to prove which would lead to pressure LEC for the win hence degrading tyres more rapidly they would have liked for and either forced to change them earlier having to face the traffic or just go longer than expected until they`ll get a good window … Either way, I hope we could finally see the real Ferrari and Merc race pace in order to notice who has the faster car right now.

In addition, it would be interesting to see how the cars - especially Ferrari ones - will perform at the start of the race on S tyre knowing they are full tanks …
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

ferkan
ferkan

Min apex speeds. Ferrari have come a long, long way...

https://twitter.com/aurydb9/status/1177 ... 80832?s=19

If this continues, Leclerc might come close to Sennas consecutive PP record.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Let's be honest here though. Yes, LeClerc is beating Vettel right now. At the same time though, Ferrari is encountering a sudden boost to the front of the grid due to some sort of golden egg where they now have by far the fastest car in the field. If we concider the first half of the season, with Mercedes clearly in front, then LeClerc's 'dominance' over vettel is much less exxegerated.
Yes i believe LeClerc is improving and a stellar driver. And yes, Vettel is seemingly having a little bit of a drop. But at the same time, the picture is painted in more colour due to the circumstances.

Let's take into account the fact that Vettel had 3 times the unfortunate situation that when he wanted to plant a lap, there were incidents that took away chances, like Albon's crash.
That's 3 times in not being able to do what he could have done, and as such naturally missing out on some opportunities which include building up your own confidence and feel.
3 times Vettel was cut short, which did not happen with LeClerc. Vettel also had some errors in his final finish lap. Yes, he did that himself, but i'm pretty sure that the way the day went on influenced that. Vettel could have been closer to LeClerc and be P2. Yes that still means LeClerc would have beaten him and yes that is still in itself extremely impressive.

Still a long way to go, and it's not the first time Vettel dropped down a bit and then started building back up and coming back.

But it must be said, LeClerc is doing an incredibly amazing well job nevertheless.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ferkan
ferkan

Not sure I agree. Since FP1 it looked like Leclerc had easy peasy 0.3s in pocket infront of Vettel.

Actually, it looked like that for entire year. Its just that Leclerc has gotten even faster. If he wasnt left in pits by Ferrari in Monaco or didnt have brain fade in Baku (both weekends he was clearly faster), this would look even worse.

atanatizante

MtthsMlw wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 20:48
Mini sectors:
Leclerc is 7 tenths ahead until turn 16 and only really loses out there and turn 17.
https://streamable.com/hilmj
Until turn 2 Merc has lost 2.5 tenths and further 1.5 tenths until turn 4, then another 2.5 tenths on the other long straight...
So, there are almost 7 tenths they are losing and the top speed delta isn`t much, only 4km/h on both straights, thus all the mighty Ferrari power over the straights is not coming out from the superior top speed rather from the initial acceleration phase and in that way they are getting sooner but most of all staying longer at that top speed they are set in the speed traps...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

AMG.Tzan

So what's the strategy for tomorrow??
-Ferrari: Soft-Medium
-Mercedes: Medium-Hard or Medium-Soft??

If it is Medium-Hard, i don't think they have any chance of winning...they'll be fast with Mediums at the start but Hards won't be fast enough i believe!

What do you think??
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

pb6797
pb6797

Logically if Ferrari can do Soft-Medium (with the car heavy at the start and the soft tyre having been worked for qualifying) then is there any reason Merc couldn't do Medium-Soft?

The only one I can think of is having to pit early to cover off an undercut and hence having too many laps left to be able to run the Soft.

My guess is that Ferrari will disappear into the distance at the start (the F2 race, where the cars are more or less equal, saw people driving around the outside of their competitors thanks to slipstream I imagine). So Mercedes will be racing the cars behind them for 3/4th place and therefore I suspect they can make Medium-Soft work as long as their times aren't so bad that the Red Bulls can get into the Mercedes Pit Window.

Wynters
Wynters

LM10 wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 17:50
At the beginning of the season, when both were in the championship, Leclerc performed very well too.
Absolutely. Bahrain springs to mind. What a dominant performance that was. Another great lap from him today and an excellent job from Ferrari once more! Should be another comfortable 1-2.
iotar__ wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 16:05
Horner:
- understands and hires Albon for a top team seat
- doesn't understand Haas hiring Grosjean.
Comment?

This is the difference between media world of fiction and reality. "Top" driver Albon crashes in a top car, impartial commentators: yadda, yadda, wind and a "tough" corner.
Give us a shout when Albon crashes his car in the pit lane...