2019 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 27 - 29 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2019 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 27 - 29 September

Unf wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 20:51

Dude, choosing tyre compoud or fuel level is ok - it is a part of strategy. What I'm trying to say is that VSC, or even SC situation is like "if you are accidentally on the good position on track - you will win, if no - not". I don't like the fact that from time to time somebody can win only beacuse he was near pit wall when some 'grosjeanish' driver did a sh*t...
What about when it rains and the drivers need wets? Should a driver that is near the pit entry wait for everyone else so that he doesn't benefit from getting on the right tyre first?

Seriously - this is life. It's a lottery and sometimes the chips fall your way, sometimes not.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

dans79

izzy wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 20:46
dans79 wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 20:23
Don't be ridiculous. They got past midfield cars after being stuck behind them from several laps!

using the midfield cars is also a very dubious argument, because everybody knows the closer you get to the front of the grid the harder it is to pass.
they're supposed to take several laps not sail by instantly! and yes it's supposed to get harder progressively. It's for position, and once all the faster cars are past all the slower cars they're in SPEED ORDER that is the result and the race is over! You don't want it all to happen in one lap. i don't know, perhaps you need one of the boys to explain it
For the WDC reverse top 10 Sprint race, exactly how many laps do you think it will take for the leading cars to actually get to where they belong or in other words not be compromised by the artificial drama for the sake of the lowbrow fans.
197 104 103 7

Shrieker

Restomaniac wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 19:06
Shrieker wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 18:41
I say ban pitting under vsc. Then again, it removes a tactical element from the race. On the other hand, remaining as it is, it is very unfair for racing, and the outcome decided by a vsc/sc is never good. On another note, it would be unfair to someone about to pit, but still.
So a driver gets a puncture in the incident and he has to go around and around the track dropping rubber and carbon fibre everywhere because he can’t enter the pits?
When's the last time you've seen that ? Surely there can be an exception for that.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Unf

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 20:54
What about when it rains and the drivers need wets? Should a driver that is near the pit entry wait for everyone else so that he doesn't benefit from getting on the right tyre first?
No. I don't talk about weather / puncture / hitting lizards etc. I'm talking only about that to not allow anyone to do simple tyre changing due VSC or even SC cause it's totally lottery like you said - if someone will be luckily just on the pit wall enter then he has tremendous benefit - totally accidentally.

izzy
izzy

dans79 wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 21:02
For the WDC reverse top 10 Sprint race, exactly how many laps do you think it will take for the leading cars to actually get to where they belong or in other words not be compromised by the artificial drama for the sake of the lowbrow fans.
OMG Ross and the F1 teams haven't realised, not being as highbrow as you sadly :lol:

but let me have one more go: it might take Charles more laps than Max, for example, or Seb more than Lewis, kinda thing

maxxer
maxxer

Unf wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 20:15
Restomaniac wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 20:09
A VSC is what it is. Your team gets the shaft today, they benefit tomorrow.
And that is why tyre changing should be not allowed during VSC. It is gamble, not racing.
lol so you can go in for a new nose but you have to leave with 4 empty tires ?
haha

Jolle
Jolle

Ferrari didn't loose the race because of the VSC, they lost because they were busy swapping drivers around by compromising the strategy of both drivers. Mercedes had a (risky) strategy to win the race,

They will need a better plan for 2020 if they want to challenge Hamilton.

dans79

izzy wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 21:25
dans79 wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 21:02
OMG Ross and the F1 teams haven't realised, not being as highbrow as you sadly :lol:

but let me have one more go: it might take Charles more laps than Max, for example, or Seb more than Lewis, kinda thing
Nevermind, it's obvious the questions beyond you!
197 104 103 7

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Unf wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 21:24
Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 20:54
No. I don't talk about weather / puncture / hitting lizards etc. I'm talking only about that to not allow anyone to do simple tyre changing due VSC or even SC cause it's totally lottery like you said - if someone will be luckily just on the pit wall enter then he has tremendous benefit - totally accidentally.
Weather, a puncture, hitting lizards etc are all accidental and a total lottery. The SC / VSC is exactly the same. Sometimes a driver is lucky, sometimes unlucky, but it's the same for all of them so it's not "unfair".

izzy
izzy

RZS10 wrote:
Why did the F1 twitter account delete this?

https://i.imgur.com/k54m3D9.jpg
lol it's a bit weird tho isn't it? Why is he kissing a mirror? But most races led ever =D>

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

izzy wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 21:31
RZS10 wrote:

lol it's a bit weird tho isn't it? Why is he kissing a mirror? But most races led ever =D>
It's a silver trophy.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

You can tell it's a boring race with nothing other than some intra-team arguments, when people spend several pages arguing about whether a random rule is fair and/or should be changed.

Perhaps it's the track that should be changed rather than the rules...

maxxer
maxxer

funny this whole discussion about the vsc and sc was actually cause by a ferrari itself, maybe ferrari should have got VET not to cause it.
Oh but ofcourse VET is first he cant go into next race with a penalty! that team will need to really think who they back next season because VET isnt delivering

izzy
izzy

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 21:32
izzy wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 21:31
RZS10 wrote:

It's a silver trophy.
oh yes! lol, obvious now you say :) Perhaps they deleted it because it looks too like a mirror

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Shrieker wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 21:17
Restomaniac wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 19:06
Shrieker wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 18:41
I say ban pitting under vsc. Then again, it removes a tactical element from the race. On the other hand, remaining as it is, it is very unfair for racing, and the outcome decided by a vsc/sc is never good. On another note, it would be unfair to someone about to pit, but still.
So a driver gets a puncture in the incident and he has to go around and around the track dropping rubber and carbon fibre everywhere because he can’t enter the pits?
When's the last time you've seen that ? Surely there can be an exception for that.
Drivers get punctures from collisions all the time. What about if a driver loses a front wing?

Also I like that you think it’s ok to stop 1 thing that you think is unfair in this race situation (pitting under the VSC) even thought it could directly cause another (stopping drivers doing their scheduled stop) with a lovely easy line of ‘but still’. How about everyone just stops bitching because something effects their team/driver when they seemed to be mute when it favoured them.