2019 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 27 - 29 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
El Scorchio

Re: 2019 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 27 - 29 September

izzy wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 14:52
El Scorchio wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 13:19
I don't really like VSC, (they could refine it in some ways to keep the timings neutral or do it slightly differently) but we all know it's there to try and lessen the possibility of another Bianchi incident. And you have to ask yourself is it worse that X driver benefits over Y driver, or that someone else (be it driver or steward) maybe loses their life?
they could easily arrange things to remove stopped cars without putting a crane out, quite often. They could just winch them, a lot of the time, if only they had a rope!!

It really spoils it afaic when we see strategies being played out and we're sitting there waiting for tyres to last or not with the decisions teams have made and driving to preserve them or use them for pace, and then it all gets changed arbitrarily and the car that deserves the win doesn't get it. There is literally no point having a race if it's a lottery like this, and they could improve it so easily if they just tried. Not every time but quite a lot of the time.

why did Russel's car need a full SC? it was miles from the track, the exact situation a VSC was invented for. ok perhaps it was to make up a bit for the VSC for Seb's car, that they didn't need either :evil: :evil: :evil:
Agree with some of that- I'm not sure why Russell's car needed full SC (maybe it was harder/more time consuming to remove?) but there doesn't seem to be 100% consistency incident to incident and track to track- I suppose all tracks are different, though.

RE: Another Bianchi- It doesn't have to be only when cranes and recovery vehicles are involved. There can still be drivers and marshals running or walking around in run off areas and in danger of other cars which presents an inherent risk. The danger is not just to a crashing driver, but to any other persons in the area. The sport is right to take this incredibly seriously and eliminate as much risk as possible. I have zero problem with a race being stopped or neutralised under these circumstances. I do think maybe they are a little trigger happy these days and needn't always call for SC or VSC, but safety is paramount.

Stragegy being ruined etc? That's just good or bad luck, isn't it. Same as the weather. I'm ok with that. Besides which, at certain circuits planning for SC or VSC IS a valid part of strategy. It didn't work for Merc in Singapore, but it did in Russia- there's no question that they'd have factored that possibility in to their thinking when opting for mediums in qualifying. It's nowadays a valid tactic for teams to progress through the field, whether by design, or by happenstance.

Teams have been taking advantage of regular safety car periods for years and years. No-one ever moans about that. Why should VSC being taken advantage of in the same way be any different?

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

izzy wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 10:35
F1NAC makes a great point, that Charles started it, with not giving Seb his tow in Monza
How could he when the track was blocked? LEC made the line in time to start his 2nd timed lap in q3, VET didn't, none of that was LEC'S fault.

Do you guys want to blame LEC for VET'S spin in monza too?

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

NathanOlder wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 10:58

1 year ago, Merc switched their 2 cars, while Vettel was only 1.5 seconds behind. So when on lap 7, Leclerc was 1.0 behind Vettel, and Hamilton was 3.1 behind . So there was plenty of space!
Exactly this

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Zarathustra wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 14:44
TAG wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 14:20
As Alonso would say to Vettel... Karma.
I guess a lot of you folks Don't Understand The Clue Here.
Vettel didn't receive any Karma yesterday- it was Ferrari who received all the Karma they deserve.

It's just repulsive how Ferrari is handling this situation- I lost a lot of respect for the team yesterday.

Vettel still is a 4times WDC and should receive more respect from his team and definitely from his younger teammate- who hasn't achieved anything yet in F1.
Hahaha, hilarious, vettel fans are a riot

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

evered7 wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 10:26
Bill_Kar wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 10:18
evered7 wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 10:07

People were telling how the softs were a bad choice and how Mercedes were having an advantage starting on mediums.

Ferrari matched or bettered Mercedes for almost all of the first stint. Bottas was 18 seconds adrift at one point. He was not bad, he was doing worse.

Leclerc shouldn't have pitted again. New mediums vs old softs in fresh air would have been a fair battle. Never got to see it unfortunately.

Guess Ferrari used all their brain cells in Singapore or they put too much pressure on themselves by arranging a deal with a Betrayer.
What are you referring to with the new mediums vs old softs?
Mercedes and Ferrari had new mediums with them. Leclerc would have had to use that after he pitted. He was ahead of Bottas at that point. Should have left him at that and asked to go after Hamilton who was running used softs.

They pitted him the very next lap to put him on the same old tires as Mercedes and gave him additional task of passing two Mercedes
Agreed and that would not have made much of a difference at all to the outcome of the race.

The soft didn't seem to me at all like it was a bad tire for the race. I never thought it was a bad tire for the race. I was thinking even if Hamilton didn't have a new set of soft tires that is the one he should be on in the last stint instead of the hard tires. And I was right. He even broke the outright lap record at the end lol. Leclerc had slower race pace than Vettel. if Vettel was in the fight I think most Hamilton could have gotten was 2nd place.

Zarathustra

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 16:10
Zarathustra wrote:
TAG wrote:
Vettel didn't receive any Karma yesterday- it was Ferrari who received all the Karma they deserve.

It's just repulsive how Ferrari is handling this situation- I lost a lot of respect for the team yesterday.

Vettel still is a 4times WDC and should receive more respect from his team and definitely from his younger teammate- who hasn't achieved anything yet in F1.
Hahaha, hilarious, vettel fans are a riot
Hahaha, hilarious, I ain’t a Vettel fan.

djones
djones

I think if Leclerc was unable to pass Bottas, then there is no way a Mercedes would have passed a Ferrari on track.

Maybe some horrific tyre degradation (like Verstappen had a few races back) for Ferrari would have done it, but the mediums they went on to would have easily made it to the end.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

digitalrurouni wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 16:11
Leclerc had slower race pace than Vettel. if Vettel was in the fight I think most Hamilton could have gotten was 2nd place.
How can you come to this conclusion when LEC stayed within 2s of VET for the first 9 laps at least?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 15:33
]
You just don't get it do you? With a reversed grid, it wouldn't just be LEC behind BOT and HAM, BOT and HAM would also be behind slower cars and would be forced to overtake them while defending. IT WOULD NOT BE THE SAME.
Oh, I get it. It's contrived nonsense, that's what it is.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Mandrake
Mandrake

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 15:57
NathanOlder wrote:

1 year ago, Merc switched their 2 cars, while Vettel was only 1.5 seconds behind. So when on lap 7, Leclerc was 1.0 behind Vettel, and Hamilton was 3.1 behind . So there was plenty of space!
Exactly this
Last year everyone was on equal tires. So this year the prerequisite with Mercs on different tires makes the whole story moot as strategic options this year were completely different. You had to open a gap as big as possible to account for the soft tire advantage. Vettel was able to open a gap of 7 seconds to Hamilton, LEC wasn't.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Mandrake wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 16:33
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

Exactly this
Last year everyone was on equal tires. So this year the prerequisite with Mercs on different tires makes the whole story moot as strategic options this year were completely different. You had to open a gap as big as possible to account for the soft tire advantage. Vettel was able to open a gap of 7 seconds to Hamilton, LEC wasn't.
Only because he was in clear air, which he got because LEC gave him his slipstream. If LEC was ahead after T2 then he could have opened the 7s, or larger gap.

izzy
izzy

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 15:23
Nonsense, VET crashed into SEN, had nothing to do with WEB, that is just another case of VET trying to shift blame for his many mistakes to others.
It was on the run down to T1, there wasn't any contact, but this is what Christian Horner said
Last edited by izzy on 30 Sep 2019, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

Mandrake
Mandrake

ferkan wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 14:48
Zarathustra wrote:
TAG wrote:

Not really. Ferrari is 2nd in standing and thats how its gonna remain. Vettel is -21pts 5 races before end of the season with 9 qualis in a row on losing side.

He HAS to win this battle, because losing it to Leclerc in his first year in Ferrari would be tragedy for him.
They are not racing for the 2nd place. They are all racing for the Championship. It was apparent from early on that the car was not as good as 2018 compared to the Mercs.

It would be a tragedy if LEC won the championship and VET didn't. The point gap now opened up because of his DNF and was only close because of Vettel starting in the back in at least 2 occasions through failure of team and car. And do not forget Spa. LEC is driving very well, but in parts his current points standing is due to Ferrari effing up for one driver.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 16:25
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 15:33
]
You just don't get it do you? With a reversed grid, it wouldn't just be LEC behind BOT and HAM, BOT and HAM would also be behind slower cars and would be forced to overtake them while defending. IT WOULD NOT BE THE SAME.
Oh, I get it. It's contrived nonsense, that's what it is.
Not nearly as contrived and foolish as giving the faster cars a huge head start(and cleaner air) and then expecting good racing to ensue.

Mandrake
Mandrake

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 16:37
Mandrake wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 16:33
ENGINE TUNER wrote:

Exactly this
Only because he was in clear air, which he got because LEC gave him his slipstream. If LEC was ahead after T2 then he could have opened the 7s, or larger gap.
Any car gives a slipstream. It was the smart choice to give it to your team mate rather than external competition. In any scenario VET would have been able to pick up the slipstream as he was already past Hamilton.

LEC wasn't able to turn up the pace when asked to push. Yet in the same situation towards the end of the race when he could not pass Bottas he was able to do so. And his tires were more shot than in the first stint looking at the cars drifty body language. So I sincerely doubt that LEC had Vettels pace in the first stint.