2019 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 27 - 29 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Andres125sx

Re: 2019 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 27 - 29 September

Just watched the race...

Vettel disobeying TOs and indirectly causing Ferrari to loose a race wich was in their pockets. Wow.

Lecrerc is proving to be incredibly fast (not easy to beat Vettel so clearly), smart and a team player even when in front of a camera. I´m really impresed with the guy

A great race for Albon, I´m glad for him and RBR. And even for Honda

Sainz is proving huge consistency despite his poor luck in last races, while Norris is showing some lack of this important aspect

I think 2019 season is done, in the fight title, in the fight for best of the rest title and in most intra-team battles at least in top 4 teams. Cant wait to 2020

Juzh

Andres125sx wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 07:51
Just watched the race...
thanks for letting us know IE

Andres125sx wrote:
Vettel disobeying TOs and indirectly causing Ferrari to loose a race wich was in their pockets. Wow.
must have been vettel himself throwing a spanner in airbox that caused mguk to fail, clearly his fault and should be sacked for sabotaging the team :!:

dans79 wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 02:11
[*] Lewis ran down and overtook Seb in Bahrain, and probably would have done the same to Charles if Charles's didn't have an engine issue.
ok, most were more or less true, but this one is just bollocks. People actually do remember things you know, and also it's very easy to check if you are right. In this case you're clearly not. At no point before engine issues was hamilton catching leclerc, actually he was falling behind at serious pace. Gap was at 10.5s with 13 laps to go before leclerc's engine started developing problems. Leclerc also had 2 laps fresher tires and was easily controlling the race.

F1Krof wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 23:39
Mattchu wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 19:28
F1Krof wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 11:44

Don't worry, it will the their easiest race for Ferrari's. There is little to no degradation on this track. Even though it has two long straights it is very hard to overtake as the last sector is very twisty, a good traction out of the last corner will suffice to cover the position.

And as for Mercedes' strategy starting on Meds is no feat of advantageous strategy, its just they're desperately trying something different as they have no alternative. The tires will not play any role here, even if they do, going Soft - Medium towards the end its better because you can push the Meds without worry. So yeah, its gonna be a Ferrari one two, it's just a shame that my bookie doesn't have F1 quotes :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
=D> =D>

Saved yourself a few quid...
It turned out to be like that.

However, in reality if there wasn't for the Vettel's DNF I would have been right.
Seems like you and a few others have forgotten that there were two VSC/SC events during this race lol. All this talk about the VSC like it would’ve changed the outcome #-o ](*,) #-o
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

hemichromis

Has anyone figured out how Vettel got driver of the day?

I didn't see anything that was that impressive but the first few corners that we know was him being let by or at least not being blocked by Leclerc.

Albon, deserved it in my opinion.

Wouter

hemichromis wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 10:27

I didn't see anything that was that impressive but the first few corners that we know was him being let by or at least not being blocked by Leclerc.

Vettel has become DOTD, because many people enjoyed the fact that he started faster than Leclerc and it was ridiculous that he had to give his position back, even though it was clear that Leclerc could not keep up with him.
Moreover, it was a support to him, because the team deliberately let him ride around for too long on worn tires, so that Leclerc would come in front of him again, without it noticing and without nagging. Ridiculous!
Leclerc just had to drive faster if he wanted to pass Vettel, but he couldn't.

Albon indeed deserves the DOTD too.
The Power of Dreams!

Bill_Kar

Andres125sx wrote:

Sainz is proving huge consistency despite his poor luck in last races, while Norris is showing some lack of this important aspect
I think he was unlucky with the VSC timing, don't think it was a bad race for him per se.

ferkan

Wouter wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 10:37
hemichromis wrote:

Vettel has become DOTD, because many people enjoyed the fact that he started faster than Leclerc and it was ridiculous that he had to give his position back, even though it was clear that Leclerc could not keep up with him.
Moreover, it was a support to him, because the team deliberately let him ride around for too long on worn tires, so that Leclerc would come in front of him again, without it noticing and without nagging. Ridiculous!

Yea, thats definitely how it happened. No pre race agreement, that Vettel agreed to, to give perfect tow and not defend inside line into T1. Just great start, overtaking Leclerc and then whining on team radio.

Not like Vettel was constantly trying to postpone swap while pushing like mad in clean air. It definitely happened as you said.

santos

hemichromis wrote:

We live in times where it's hard to impress someone. Althought he started from third, and ended up first in the first corner. Putting a lap after lap the fastest time… Yeah that's nothing impressive.

El Scorchio

Does anyone seriously care about Driver of the Day? It's a stupid social media gimmick that people like my eight year old nephew think is important and vote for.
He will blindly vote for Hamilton every single time, regardless of what actually happens. It's just a silly popularity contest and not really all that representative.

I do appreciate they are trying to 'modernise' and use social media/digital etc. but it' so pointless.

Andres125sx

Juzh wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 09:58
Andres125sx wrote:
must have been vettel himself throwing a spanner in airbox that caused mguk to fail, clearly his fault and should be sacked for sabotaging the team :!:
That would be a direct cause, not indirect so please read and/or interpret my words properly :wink:

Lecrerc lost some time behind Seb and worn his tires, with just some seconds faster first stint he'd have been in front of Hamilton after the vsc, or maybe even would have not pitted before the vsc

Andres125sx

Wouter wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 10:37
hemichromis wrote:

It was the team who said Lecrerc should let Seb take his slipstream and he did, letting him pass without defending position at the start, then Seb ignored the team when he should return him to the lead.

Seb got advantage of TOs when in his favour, and ignored when not. That's not fair

dans79

hemichromis wrote:
DOTD is a joke, it has no skill based merit of any type. It basically comes down to whatever the unwashed masses finds most entertaining.
197 104 103 7

Mandrake

Andres125sx wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 11:55
Juzh wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 09:58
Andres125sx wrote:
That would be a direct cause, not indirect so please read and/or interpret my words properly :wink:

Lecrerc lost some time behind Seb and worn his tires, with just some seconds faster first stint he'd have been in front of Hamilton after the vsc, or maybe even would have not pitted before the vsc
Wow, you mast have watched a completely different race. Sounds interesting, can you send me a link to VOD or something?

wickedz50

dans79 wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 12:43
hemichromis wrote:
DOTD is a joke, it has no skill based merit of any type. It basically comes down to whatever the unwashed masses finds most entertaining.
The driver of the day votes came from all the Lewis fans, afterall Seb handed the win to Lewis and Toto on a silver ware!!! easy answer and no jokes.

dans79

wickedz50 wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 13:28
The driver of the day votes came from all the Lewis fans, afterall Seb handed the win to Lewis and Toto on a silver ware!!!
Seriously, how do you screw up the silver platter idiom?
197 104 103 7