2021 Miami race announced

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ENGINE TUNER

Re: 2021 Miami race announced

TAG wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 16:17
The circuit itself looks good, certainly not the street circuit I was expecting. It's all about the execution. Does anyone know the stated circuit length? Interesting to see when they try to stick it in. After the break you have hurricane season. Before the break you have a high probability of rain every day. Early in the season maybe before Montreal?
Yeah, they said may, so that would probably be a week b4 GP Canada.

Just_a_fan

Manoah2u wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 16:03
Zynerji wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 15:21
dans79 wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 14:49

I can't tell if you have rose tinted glasses on, or a bout of xenophobia.
Trump Hate
Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 14:37

Monaco shouldn't be in the Championship, in my opinion. Sure run it as a show but it's not a race in any meaningful way.
please don't say you're being actually serious here......
Yes, I am.

Don't misunderstand me - Monaco is a huge challenge for the drivers and a great spectacle. But a race? No way.

We have huge effort being put in to making cars that can race and then run at a circuit where overtaking is basically impossible.

So, keep it in the calendar as a show event but don't give points.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Vasconia

Race track looks fine so I guess it could be a good GB. The only problem is which race will be ouf of the season if the include Miami.

wesley123

I'm going to be cynical here in this thread of positivity;

Again?! Seems like Liberty Media really really really really really really really wants a race in Miami, and specifically in Miami. No, not a race in the Northern states to distribute the race on both sides of the United States, in Miami. You read that correct. Miami. Miami Miami Miami anywhere else in the US sucks by default, as does anywhere on the globe. Miami is where it's at! Not New York, Los Angeles, Las Vegas or whatever, if you compare it to the great Miami none of those cities mean anything. No, it has to be in Miami.

MI-AM-I. MIAMI.

I find it a rather big insult that a single city gets so many tries and whatnot, but other tracks that characterize F1 have to fear for their race every. single. year.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

dans79

wesley123 wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 17:46

Again?! Seems like Liberty Media really really really really really really really wants a race in Miami, and specifically in Miami. No, not a race in the Northern states to distribute the race on both sides of the United States, in Miami. You read that correct. Miami. Miami Miami Miami anywhere else in the US sucks by default, as does anywhere on the globe. Miami is where it's at! Not New York, Los Angeles, Las Vegas or whatever, if you compare it to the great Miami none of those cities mean anything. No, it has to be in Miami.
If you are in the NE part of the country, then Montreal is for you. If you are in the central part of the country, then Austin is your race.

They have nothing in the SE, and the only major metropolitan areas in that part of the country are Miami and Atlanta. If you have ever driven in and around Atlanta, you know it's not something you want to subject the average tourist to.

On the West coast The most likely city would be in California, but good luck getting anything done in that state, with its thousands of layers of red tape.
197 104 103 7

Manoah2u

wesley123 wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 17:46

MI-AM-I. MIAMI.

I find it a rather big insult that a single city gets so many tries and whatnot, but other tracks that characterize F1 have to fear for their race every. single. year.
Well, to be very honest, even though i do agree to a certain degree,
flipping through race venues has been something that was in the 'good old' days too.

Just the Great Britain GP had several venues to host the British GP, from Brands Hatch to Aintrun to Silverstone, and it was planned to have it at Donington too. Same goes for Germany. Japan. Italy. France.

There are some GP's that imho won't be missed much. France GP for example. Probably Todt's political pride so i doubt that'll go despite the fact we have zero talented french drivers (okay, Ocon in 2020) and there's only renault left as a team and Mclaren with engines for 2020. As of 2021 that's halved and i'm sure the amount of french drivers too (not literally, just the amount lol). I don't count LeClerc as French, but as a Monagask.

Long story short, many tracks come and go through F1 history. I do feel like there's a lot less 'weight' on the tracks like there was in the days of Ecclestone and there's more room for fair play and value.

There's gonna be more tracks on the calendar anyway, and quite frankly, i wouldn't be shedding a tear in seeing Bahrein, Hungary and Russia be ditched. I know Bahrein won't happen due to the investors, Russia neither regarding politics, and Hungary probably is 'too much of a classic' but to be honest, there are many tracks that can be boring for one reason or another and exciting just as much.
First time around i felt Baku was a waste of space. I now feel better about it. Doesn't mean i think the track should stay indefinately.

The only track i think that needs to stay permanently forever is Monaco.

It's about where the interest is and the economics at certain moment in time.
And it could be that the US is the time to root for now.

there was a time we had 2 Spanish GP's (Valencia and Barcelona)
there was a time we had 2 German GP's (Hockenheim and Nurburgring)
there was a time we had 2 Italian GPs (Monza and Imola)

However you put it, that also meant other GP's got denied a race or canceled.
We lost many venues, it is how it is.
Thing is, people complain more nowadays.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

strad

Length??
What runoff?
What does Trump and your feelings about him have to do with an F1 race?
Thing is, people complain more nowadays.
Down side of social media. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Zynerji

Why not Daytona?

Just_a_fan

Manoah2u wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 18:33

It's about where the interest is and the economics at certain moment in time.
That's the Bernie approach - the money is all that matters and hang the quality of the racing. We've lost good circuits and gained bad ones on "economic" grounds.

Roman

From how I understand the drawing and google maps is it possible that the "back Straight" (the isnt-straight on the left side) runs on or immediately next to 199th street? The slight and long curve surely has a certain similarity.

FW17

Roman wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 10:57
From how I understand the drawing and google maps is it possible that the "back Straight" (the isnt-straight on the left side) runs on or immediately next to 199th street? The slight and long curve surely has a certain similarity.
Not immediately next to but on 199th street

fritticaldi

I liked the Bayfront Park circuit they had for IMSA a while back. The setting looked amazing with the port of Miami, Biscayne Boulevard etc.. Even Tamiami Park that Indycars raced on in the mid eighties was really good. Before I judge I would like to see a video of the proposed track. Seeing just the layout is not good enough .

dans79

I sense some typical south Florida political positioning is going on here.
https://www.pitpass.com/66092/Miami-rac ... to-trouble
197 104 103 7

bill shoe

dans79 wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 14:59
An article on same issues from Joe Saward-
https://www.motorsportweek.com/joesaward/id/00571

The "logical" track layout would base the track and paddock in the stadium parking lot, and would include a couple long straights going off down public roads away from the parking lot. The current layout only has one or two short sections of public road on the perimeter of the parking lot, and these bits don't do much to increase the overall size of the layout or the length of the straights. That would be a dinky short lap with no real straights, kind of like Monaco without the elevation changes or nice views. Just a dense thicket of Jersey barriers and chain-link fence.

I'm guessing that F1 and the Miami promoter ultimately want a track that includes significant straights going off on nearby roads, but for the moment they're trying to get their foot in the door (in terms of planning permission) with a plan that only includes the parking lot and perimeter roads. This would be modified later to include longer straights. At least I'm hoping that's their plan.

Just_a_fan

dans79 wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 14:59
Wow, that's some dangerous sport, that F1!
"Don't allow F1 promoters to come in and roll over us over, like we're not even humans," she added. "They can produce all kinds of phony statements about how they can mitigate the deadly effects, but we can never erase deadly health damage, and possibly permanent hearing loss, especially to children. Even the county's own study verifies the deadly effects.
Small town politicians are the same the world over. Any chance to grandstand for their own benefit is taken with both hands. :roll: