Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
f1rules
f1rules

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Question: with the demands of the mexico circuit and the thin air limitations, will that maybe help others gain insight to ferraris advantage, i mean If its not ice/combustion related, but of electrical and harvesting nature their advantage could potentially grow in mexico??
if so im sure theyll hide though, because right now the others dont have a clue and are shooting in the dark

djones
djones

Yes, that stood out to me too as I was expecting to read about that, not the intercooler.

Maybe its because teams know the physical limits of that area and therefore know it must be some sort of 'cheating' elsewhere that is not monitored with sensors etc.

P.s. If I was Ferrari I would turn the engine heavily down for the rest of the season to stop people protesting. Then use the advantage again at the start of next year to make the most benefit from it before it is banned.

MtthsMlw

f1rules wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 14:07
Question: with the demands of the mexico circuit and the thin air limitations, will that maybe help others gain insight to ferraris advantage, i mean If its not ice/combustion related, but of electrical and harvesting nature their advantage could potentially grow in mexico??
if so im sure theyll hide though, because right now the others dont have a clue and are shooting in the dark
Mexico doesn't appear to be that power sensitive, last year we had a RB 1-2 in quali using the Renault PU.

Polite
Polite

djones wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 14:11
Yes, that stood out to me too as I was expecting to read about that, not the intercooler.

Maybe its because teams know the physical limits of that area and therefore know it must be some sort of 'cheating' elsewhere that is not monitored with sensors etc.

P.s. If I was Ferrari I would turn the engine heavily down for the rest of the season to stop people protesting. Then use the advantage again at the start of next year to make the most benefit from it before it is banned.
There is no cheating.. Ferrari Ers is the same of the 2018. The 2019 upgrade is ICE related, and as Herny said, in this pu era every upgrade of a part is a boost for the other parts of the pu too.

The same Q mode was there in 2018 and also the "K" and "k+" buttons. But in the 2018 the Mercedes ice was way more efficient and powerfull than the ferrari one. Now that the Ice is good too, we can see the advantage of the ferraris ers.

Fia will not ban nothing or they should have banned the ers in the 2018!..

@Djones stop with defamatory accusations..

djones
djones

"@Djones stop with defamatory accusations.."

What on earth are you talking about?

Also, did you even read the AS article about the purposeful leaking of oil into the intercooler?

And are you trying to say Ferrari have not changed the ERS since 2018? That is ludicrous, of course they have upgraded every single part of the car and PU since 2018.

santos
santos

djones wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 14:11

What advantage it would have if it was banned?

Nonserviam85
Nonserviam85

djones wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 13:18
There is an interesting article on Autosport that says a number of teams are now seeking clarification of certain aspects. I think there may also be an official protest at some stage.

One area seems to be Ferrari purposefully leaking oil into the intercooler.
Ferrari's PU advantage seems to drive the other teams crazy as they are seeking clarifications on completely different aspects of the PU! I believe they cannot figure it out and they are questioning in order to find where the advantage comes from! Since last year they questioned the batteries, oil use, now the intercooler and the recovery system!

Polite
Polite

Nonserviam85 wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 15:23
djones wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 13:18
There is an interesting article on Autosport that says a number of teams are now seeking clarification of certain aspects. I think there may also be an official protest at some stage.

One area seems to be Ferrari purposefully leaking oil into the intercooler.
Ferrari's PU advantage seems to drive the other teams crazy as they are seeking clarifications on completely different aspects of the PU! I believe they cannot figure it out and they are questioning in order to find where the advantage comes from! Since last year they questioned the batteries, oil use, now the intercooler and the recovery system!
THIS!.. they protest only to find out where they have to upgrade their concepts. And FIA just 1 time aswered positively (the twin battery of 2018) but when Ferrari protested for the spoil of their Tm technology, Fia just said who was the wistleblower: Sassi and Allison from Mercedes... (but the protest was made by FI.. so not by AMG in first person but by their pu costumer.. really fair ;) ) And Mercedes was really disappointed by that.
This time FIA will not help to tell the truth!

@Djones, news have their laws.. u, me and every other person have a different laws. And in Italy u are not in the green zone of law.
And no! .. no relevant upgrade on ferraris Ers in 2019 so far! claimed by Binotto himself. for example Vettel in Suzuka used the same K of the first PU of australia 2019.. and Ferrari team said that also the second one can be reused cause the part is the same from 2018 and they know how to fix any problem (always a Binotto claim!) and are confident about it.

Phil

Polite wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 14:52
There is no cheating..
No one is saying they are. I think people are more referring to Ferrari doing something that could be seen as exploiting a loop in the regulations or an area that is not actively monitored. Think oil burning. It wasnt illegal, but it was an exploit, an area that allowed teams to exploit something that wasnt intended. Clearly they are doing something clever, but i too am of the opinion it must be something that is perhaps not intended and if teams figure it out, or ask the right questions to the FIA, something that might get closed/banned pretty quickly if it is indeed being done.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

RZS10

You can't protest "the PU", you have to have at least a strong suspicion which component or technical solution might be at odds with technical regulations.

Without any answers from the FIA it is impossible to pinpoint which component or technical solution it could be.

So with the assumption that there was something (and just for clarification, i'm not saying there is), the FIA would be actively helping Ferrari to keep an unfair advantage by not answering the inquiries and telling the other teams to protest which they could not do in the first place. :lol:

Polite
Polite

Phil wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 16:16
Polite wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 14:52
There is no cheating..
No one is saying they are. I think people are more referring to Ferrari doing something that could be seen as exploiting a loop in the regulations or an area that is not actively monitored. Think oil burning. It wasnt illegal, but it was an exploit, an area that allowed teams to exploit something that wasnt intended. Clearly they are doing something clever, but i too am of the opinion it must be something that is perhaps not intended and if teams figure it out, or ask the right questions to the FIA, something that might get closed/banned pretty quickly if it is indeed being done.
More than 1 person here said cheating.. instead of "trick"! And no, oil burning was not illegal back in 2014.. but only after the rule that makes illegal to reuse the exaust gas again in the compressor (what every turbo engine on real cars do... to reduce pollution). All was as inteded but someone got a gain and others not (renault :mrgreen: ).. and the only Pu that cant afford the new oil regulation (0,6l per 300km) was the mercedes Pu from Monza 2017 till the end of the yaer ;)

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... e/4559238/
Last edited by Polite on 17 Oct 2019, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.

Gothrek
Gothrek

When it is a Ferrari design, it is always a cheat. When it is a Mercedes design it is a marvel of engineering. Perception is reality I guess.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

“ 5.14 Engine intake air :
With the exception of incidental leakage through joints or cooling ducts in the inlet system....
Would a temporary leak of coolant by the intercooler, for example when the intercooler circulator pump is set to a high pressure level. Be seen as incidental?

The could vaporize some special coolant for a brief moment of time.

dans79

NL_Fer wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 17:01
Would a temporary leak of coolant by the intercooler, for example when the intercooler circulator pump is set to a high pressure level. Be seen as incidental?
Probably, but the FIA would immediately demand that it be fixed.
197 104 103 7

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Could it be hidden so FIA will never find out?