atanatizante wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:36 pm
No, I think I must thank you instead, for indulging and wasting your time with thorough explanations for me
But being an analytical person, I must say there are some things that I still don`t understand. Such as:
1. You said: “Once the car is not traction limited, they want to accelerate with the maximum possible power
”. Which case or configuration gives them to the max. possible power? full ICE + full MGU-K, isn`t it?
2. Then you said further: “This is e-boost, it drains the ES very quickly, around 200kW, but gives the highest possible PU power.
” How come? By the rules MGU-K deploys max. 120kW … or maybe it can deploy 120kW only from ES and whatever kW comes out from MGU-H is adding to that 120kW limit imposed by the rules … so in case of 200kW (per second, I think you mean) as you mentioned, 120kW comes from ES and another 80kW from MGU-H?
3. “They then close the wastegates and run with the ICE + full MGU-K. The MGU-K receives energy from the MGU-H and the ES. The ES energy drain is much lower, 60kW, and the PU power only a little lower. I call this self-Sustain plus.
”. If I`m not wrong and my above max. 120kW MGU-K deployment statement is correct, then MGU-H could give them only 60kW/sec …
4. “If in qualification Ferrari only ran max-power, e-boost, and not self-sustain plus, they would only be able to run it for about 30 seconds
” … 33.3 sec/lap precisely, thus in self-sustain mode just for 66.6 sec/lap had the MGU-H deploys 60kW/sec. … What if it can deploy 120kW/sec? Then they could run it all over the entire lap! At least in qualy when they don`t need to save fuel ...
5. “That might be enough for Monaco, but everywhere else they would be running the second half of straights in self-sustain which is probably 90 to 100kW lower
…” So just ICE + MGU-K at 20-30kW/sec?
6. “The speed traces don’t suggest that’s how they do it.
” Can you speculate further? What're your thoughts?
7. In which case they have the biggest acceleration phase? In self-sustain plus mode, full ICE + full MGU-K mode or just only on full MGU-K mode?
I thank you in advance for your answers!
I can try to answer some of your questions..
E-boost, ICE at full power since the wastegates are open (less backpressure) + MGUK at 120kw from the ES.
MGUH is driving the TC and is using around 80kw to do that.
MGUK is getting its max of 120kw splitted between ES and MGUH e.g. 60kw from each.
ES drains at 60kw and ICE power is down a bit since the MGUH is harvesting from the TC.
As far as I know the MGUH can only use around 80kw and harvest a little less than that (it's not 100% efficient).
It's limited to 125000rpm, it doesn't need more energy since it's only driving the TC.
Yes, MGUK is getting its juice from the H. ICE power is down since the H is harvesting again, adding backpressure.
ES is keeping its SOC.
As far as I know, recent speed traces show that Ferrari is gaining at any given point on the straight.
This power advantage can only come from the ICE. How? One may ask Ferrari or the FIA. There might be some clever trick or they're simply doing anything that gives you power better than other teams.
Also the SF90 has very low drag, compared to the rest.
Depends from track to track and straight to straight I'd say.
Any kw numbers for the H are estimations, afaik no manufacturer has provided some reliable numbers.