Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
BassVirolla

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Just wild speculation:

Given that you are only allowed to deploy 4MJ from ES to MGUK, but there is no limit in energy flow MGUK <-> MGUH neither in ES <-> MGUH, it seems feasible to switch the MGUH in a "conductor mode" to deploy more energy from ES via MGUH to MGUK, to use MGUH as a sort of "wire". Or replicate the Honda "extra harvest" as a "extra deploy" accelerating the MGUH and getting that kinetic energy going to MGUK in a cyclic mode.

Edit: Obviously getting the MGUH switched in "wire mode" could be exploiting a grey area.

munudeges

selvam_e2002 wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 06:31
As Ferrari has more power in straight line and one lap power, why it is not available for other customer teams like, Alfo, HASS? Why there are struggling?

I may silly to ask these question sorry.

1. Why customer team not getting the same benefit from Ferrari? Is there a rule or policy that restrict customer team not to use the same component with same tuning as ferrari?

2. If customer team also has same engine component then the speed of ferrari come from Chase?
You don't honestly think other teams get the same software, do you?

santos

munudeges wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 16:37
selvam_e2002 wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 06:31
As Ferrari has more power in straight line and one lap power, why it is not available for other customer teams like, Alfo, HASS? Why there are struggling?

I may silly to ask these question sorry.

1. Why customer team not getting the same benefit from Ferrari? Is there a rule or policy that restrict customer team not to use the same component with same tuning as ferrari?

2. If customer team also has same engine component then the speed of ferrari come from Chase?
You don't honestly think other teams get the same software, do you?
Yes, they do get the same everything. FIA makes sure customer teams have engine performance parity with works teams. Althought the fuel is not the same. Every team is free to choose the fuel supplier.

PlatinumZealot

Big Tea wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 19:27

Removing it from air then stil using it to cool, or drawing it from beneath the plank?

how much flow would be worth while? This sort of thing gives 10l a min without storing

https://www.oxygenconcentratorstore.com ... entrators/

and that is a cheap off the shelf unit. A small bottle of compressed could be 'said' to be used in something else though and just waste vented in the airstream of the intake.
You can install the ozone electrode after the intercooler. The exact same air stream can be used.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

MGUK can only put out 120kW. It doesn't matter if its from the MHUH or energy store. This is easy to achieve/test on one straight if rival teams were experimenting to find out if Ferrari's speed is achievable.

ICE is the only place to look.

My proposal is an Ozone generator is in the incoming air stream.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

IvailoStefanovBG

For me the key question is why its only available as party mode for one lap or to overtake / protect from overtake on straight?

BassVirolla

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 18:35
MGUK can only put out 120kW. It doesn't matter if its from the MHUH or energy store. This is easy to achieve/test on one straight if rival teams were experimenting to find out if Ferrari's speed is achievable.

ICE is the only place to look.

My proposal is an Ozone generator is in the incoming air stream.
Yes, but I was thinking in more time at full 120kW getting more "than allowed" from ES.

PlatinumZealot

IvailoStefanovBG wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 18:42
For me the key question is why its only available as party mode for one lap or to overtake / protect from overtake on straight?
Because the ICE wear is limited before damage occurs.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

IvailoStefanovBG

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 18:52
IvailoStefanovBG wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 18:42
Because the ICE wear is limited before damage occurs.
As we saw with Leclerc's engine in Bahrain I think....faulty sparkplug was Ferrari's explanation then...I'm 100% sure that then Leclerc and Vettel were with different mapping and ES managment..That was clearly visible on their dashboards....

atanatizante

Marc Priestley, a former Macca mechanic, has one theory about what`s going on at Ferrari: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2P9_2bhGZY&t=769s
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

hollus

The timing in the video is actually at the 8 minute mark (only fluff) and then again at 10:10 for the question at hand.
Rivals, not enemies.

hugobos

As speculation goes, porosity is mentioned. I mentioned leaking hydrogen or methane before, You can dissolve hydrogen and methane in oil, also an hydrogen molecule is the smallest one. Due to porosity of the intercooler this leaks int the air intake Result no oil depletion or oil leak indicators and more power.
Are there materials where Oil can’t pass and hydrogen can?
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced

MtthsMlw

atanatizante wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 20:04
Marc Priestley, a former Macca mechanic, has one theory about what`s going on at Ferrari: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2P9_2bhGZY&t=769s
I think it would be quite hard to get a system like that reliably working. Being able to turn it on and off and controlling the amount of oil being injected would require additional hardware imo. Idk how closely the FIA is looking at these engines if there is no investigation ongoing.

We're talking about this silver cube in front of the engine btw..
just posting this awsome photo again..

LM10

Doesn’t Ferrari reach top speed before Mercedes, but can’t keep it as long as them? Wouldn’t that be a sign of some kind of an MGU-related advantage?

MtthsMlw

LM10 wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 21:30
Doesn’t Ferrari reach top speed before Mercedes, but can’t keep it as long as them? Wouldn’t that be a sign of some kind of an MGU-related advantage?
@henry suggested that Ferrari might harvest with the K and H simultaneously at the very end of the straight, that's why they drop of their top speed before braking while others don't. This would put energy at like 200kw into the ES, the twin battery setup might come in handy there.
This was discussed in greater detail some pages ago.