Renault ECUs impounded

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bill shoe

Re: Renault ECUs impounded

littlebigcat wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 00:31
If this system is illegal then so is mapping MGU-K recovery based on the bias etc
Do you mean the Renault MGU-K mapping would be illegal if it piggybacked on the clever/secret automatic method of brake-bias adjustment that has now been ruled a driver aid? Or do you mean that MGU-K mapping that piggybacked on a conventional (driver-actuated) control-knob would be illegal due to the overall nature of the new FIA ruling?

littlebigcat

The latter. I believe that the MGU-K braking maps changes bias and how much is from the rear brakes in a lot of different ways, and I remember reading a tech article which indicated it was speed dependent as well.

nzjrs

Do the regulations prohibit (how exactly) "lap distance dependent ERS" automatic (map adjustment).

To me this came down to an argument about it how the brake bias piggybacked of other systems (its private IP, that's why the report is very lacking on justification) and how one can redfine or otherwise make a non lap distance dependent "track position dependent" auto brake bias system.

Fascinating!

littlebigcat

They don't. Thats why they had to claim its a driver aid and against the sporting rules, despite it being non interactive with the driver controls(throttle;traction control, blown diffuser,brake;ABS,brake vectoring).

Massive cop out.

nzjrs

littlebigcat wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 13:48
They don't. Thats why they had to claim its a driver aid and against the sporting rules, despite it being non interactive with the driver controls(throttle;traction control, blown diffuser,brake;ABS,brake vectoring).

Massive cop out.
Well it is a driver aid, but I would have been interested to hear the arguments, how precisely people talk about what automatic ERS adjustments are being made, and which were the words used to describe how they operate

Big Tea

littlebigcat wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 11:21
The latter. I believe that the MGU-K braking maps changes bias and how much is from the rear brakes in a lot of different ways, and I remember reading a tech article which indicated it was speed dependent as well.
Was this not mentioned with Alonso in the Honda Mac? He was flat where the ECU expected a lift and it got lost?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

RZS10

IIRC Red Bull also claimed that Verstappen lost the car in Bahrain because the system gave too much power expecting him to be in a different part of the track

gridwalker

"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

UlleGulle

I think there is still some room for an exploit here, in relation to the verdict.

What if the driver could store a sequence of brake bias settings during the outlap/formation lap and then call upon that sequence at the push of a button?

For example, on the out lap, the driver sets the bias to 51/49% for the first corner and 55/45% for the second etc. This is then stored, and the drivers starts qualifying lap, push the button ahead of the first breaking point, then again ahead of the second, and the brake bias changes accordingly to his preparations.

It's the driver who sets the brake bias, and he who commands the changes manually, just to that preset bias. Would that really constitute a driving aid?

Brake Horse Power

Interesting they had in already in pre season tssting and are disqualified for just one race. If they had a clear advantage, shouldn't they have been disqualified for the whole season.. Or not at all?

subcritical71

Brake Horse Power wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 10:51
Interesting they had in already in pre season tssting and are disqualified for just one race. If they had a clear advantage, shouldn't they have been disqualified for the whole season.. Or not at all?
I pick, Or not at all! These cars are full of drivers aids. Why are they picking and choosing which are allowed.

Maritimer

UlleGulle wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 09:05
I think there is still some room for an exploit here, in relation to the verdict.

What if the driver could store a sequence of brake bias settings during the outlap/formation lap and then call upon that sequence at the push of a button?

For example, on the out lap, the driver sets the bias to 51/49% for the first corner and 55/45% for the second etc. This is then stored, and the drivers starts qualifying lap, push the button ahead of the first breaking point, then again ahead of the second, and the brake bias changes accordingly to his preparations.

It's the driver who sets the brake bias, and he who commands the changes manually, just to that preset bias. Would that really constitute a driving aid?
Nothing can be preselected for the driver.

UlleGulle

Maritimer wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 13:20
UlleGulle wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 09:05

Nothing can be preselected for the driver.
Yes, the verdict is pretty clear in that respect, and I do apologize for not expressing myself clearly. My question really boils down to this; can brake bias be preselected BY the driver and thereby not considered a driving aid?

Maritimer

No, just like gears cant be preselected by the driver. No preselection of any kind regardless if it's the driver or ECU.