Renault ECUs impounded

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
littlebigcat

Re: Renault ECUs impounded

Sorry, what is the button on the steering wheel often marked as PIT or PL? Isn't that a preselected gear and rev limit to aid the driver?

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

nokivasara

littlebigcat wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 15:21
Sorry, what is the button on the steering wheel often marked as PIT or PL? Isn't that a preselected gear and rev limit to aid the driver?
Touché =D>

henry

On a similar topic. Are the lights at the top of the steering wheel a rev count indicator or a change point indicator? If the latter why is that not a driver aid? Not to mention beeps in the ear to lift and coast.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

subcritical71

henry wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 23:58
On a similar topic. Are the lights at the top of the steering wheel a rev count indicator or a change point indicator? If the latter why is that not a driver aid? Not to mention beeps in the ear to lift and coast.
Or the operation of the PU individual elements... i can understand the PU torque as a function of pedal position, but at full throttle the CE dictates PU operation (energy strategy) based on a preset algorithm.... driver aid?

subcritical71

subcritical71 wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 02:19

Or the operation of the PU individual elements... i can understand the PU torque as a function of pedal position, but at full throttle the CE dictates PU operation (energy strategy) based on a preset algorithm.... driver aid?
I've never been a particular fan of Cyril, but I seem to agree with him;
"It's a driver aid, just like as we said before a number of things are driver aids – I'll give you one, energy deployment. It's all lap distance based. At some point you need to accept that there's an element of subjectivity."

thestig84

I posted that ages ago on this thread but nobody acknowledged it.

henry

subcritical71 wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 02:19
henry wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 23:58
Indeed. And the question arises what torque level matches 100% accelerator. Is it ICE torque with the higher levels introduced by the ECU as it judged they are needed? Or e-boost with the ECU reducing power to save energy? Or some mystical in between. Whatever it is something happens such that the driver is not unaided.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

gridwalker

Grosjean: Illegal Renault system in use since 2015

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/gros ... st=organic
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

subcritical71

gridwalker wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 14:07

Which further makes this a joke. At least 5 years running an “illegal” system and your only excluded from one race!

101FlyingDutchman

Or if it can be used for so long then the whole scrutineering process is a complete joke and not fit for purpose. You wonder what else other teams have been doing or are continuing to do and remain “undetected”

subcritical71

subcritical71 wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 14:44
gridwalker wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 14:07

Which further makes this a joke. At least 5 years running an “illegal” system and your only excluded from one race!
Somebody needs to protest DRS. I mean, if ever there was a driver aid meant to diminish the skill of the driver, it’s DRS. Sure it’s allowed by the technical regulations, but as a driver aid it’s against the sporting regulations!

rogazilla

This argument will lead down to flint stone race. Because the engine assist the driver... next we be watching marathons

littlebigcat

I interpret a driver aid as something that directly changes an input from the driver. So powersteering isn't because it doesn't change how much or little a driver is turning based on the input. The power unit mapping of the ICE,MGU-K and MGU-H isn't an aid because it doesn't change the input into the power unit, 100% throttle is still 100% throttle, just the map changes how that 100% throttle is interpreted by the three systems of the power unit.

Pit limiter is most definitely a driver aid and also breaks rule 5.7 of the tech regs so, I don't know what the hell the FIA are all about really.

subcritical71

littlebigcat wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 18:09
I interpret a driver aid as something that directly changes an input from the driver. So powersteering isn't because it doesn't change how much or little a driver is turning based on the input. The power unit mapping of the ICE,MGU-K and MGU-H isn't an aid because it doesn't change the input into the power unit, 100% throttle is still 100% throttle, just the map changes how that 100% throttle is interpreted by the three systems of the power unit.

Pit limiter is most definitely a driver aid and also breaks rule 5.7 of the tech regs so, I don't know what the hell the FIA are all about really.
While I can agree with the power steering, the PU at 100% pedal position is not 100% PU output. And this is not under the drivers control, the K and / or H have strategies which change based on track position as well as strat modes. Essentially the same argument as the brake bias. If you want to male it driver aid-less the driver would have to adjust the deployment/harvest by way of physical input. While I think that would abide by the sporting regs, I would hate to see the driver playing steering wheel olympics (adjusting strat modes / deployment strategy / brake bias / diff settings / drs / radio / shifting / etc.) between corners and not racing.