2019 United States Grand Prix - Austin, 1-3 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2019 United States Grand Prix - Austin, 1-3 November

LM10 wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 11:04
MtthsMlw wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 10:35
zibby43 wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 06:21
After the PU-related Technical Directive was issued, Ferrari's straightline speed advantage was halved, per GPS measurements (AMuS).

Marko: "Our top speed deficit to Ferrari was not so bad [in qualifying]. On the long straight, it was three to four tenths. Yesterday we lost twice that. "

AMuS:

"In the GPS comparisons shows that Ferrari wins in Austin on all straights together three and a half tenths to the Mercedes and six tenths to the Red Bull Honda. That's about half of what was measured the previous day. And half of the Ferrari advantage in Suzuka, a circuit similar to the Circuit of the Americas."
Or they put some more downforce on the car, just like they did in Mexico where they also gained less on the straight on Saturday than on Friday.
Finish line speed trap still shows the usual picture of Ferrari accelerating faster than anyone else. Also their top speed on every straight is still a couple of kmh higher than that of Merc or RB.
Yea, yesterday I wrote the same regarding finish line speed which is what really matters as it tells us something about acceleration which still was siginificantly better than others.

More downforce is a pretty realistic reason for the less gain on the straights compared to Friday. In S3 Ferrari was as fast as Mercedes. Only Verstappen was a tenth up.
Adding more downforce would hurt top speeds more than it would acceleration surely. With more downforce you can exit corners faster and put the power down harder which both help the initial acceleration.

It would be interesting to know the difference in top speeds across all 4 sessions so far.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Unc1eM0nty

dans79 wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 01:40
Did anybody see where Lewis made this mistake? I was at the track and they didn't show anything.
There's a comparison further down on this story, they are neck and neck at turn 16, Lewis has a couple of twitches that cost him, nothing massive stands out though

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... s-in-fifth

iotar__

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 12:19
dans79 wrote:
Did anybody see where Lewis made this mistake? I was at the track and they didn't show anything.
There's a comparison further down on this story, they are neck and neck at turn 16, Lewis has a couple of twitches that cost him, nothing massive stands out though

- Nothing major, 0,3 s and four positions, pole to fifth. Nothing to see here, nothing. You can really pinpoint the exact moment.
- Just say that he was slower this time and be done with it. Big deal.
- BTW weren't they milking last race that his RE was missing. He would be like seventh or eitghth without him here =P~ .

cokata
cokata

The cars are insane in the esses. Even quicker than 2018. I honestly think it's the best showcase of the downforce of the cars on the whole calender since it's quicker than maggots becketts chappel, and S1 of suzuka.

Verstappen was particularly quick there. Can we get the first lap from Leclerc as according to Maklar's post in the autosport forum where there is a breakdown of minisector times Leclerc was even quicker than that.

Also Leclerc was substantially quicker in T19 than anyone, though the Ferrari is still behind in the slow corners, especially when compared to Mercedes.

Wass85
Wass85

It would be great if we could get an overlay of all the top cars through the esses.

Krzysztof
Krzysztof

RZS10 wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 00:06

According to the AMuS liveticker the track temperature dropped in the last 10 minutes of quali which lowered the grip so you were right assuming it was the track temps that changed
What is AMuS liveticker? I've searched and only could access a german website.
Last edited by Krzysztof on 03 Nov 2019, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

Unc1eM0nty

iotar__ wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 13:06
Unc1eM0nty wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 12:19
dans79 wrote:

- Nothing major, 0,3 s and four positions, pole to fifth. Nothing to see here, nothing. You can really pinpoint the exact moment.
- Just say that he was slower this time and be done with it. Big deal.
- BTW weren't they milking last race that his RE was missing. He would be like seventh or eitghth without him here =P~ .
For the record I was just pointing out that there were no major error's, no lock-ups, no missed apex.

Yes he was slower plain and simple

MtthsMlw

Max really stood out in turn 6 and Lec smashed turn 19.
Lec is down 5km/h on Vettel before turn 12 maybe due to his older engine but he is faster in almost all slower corners.

f1316
f1316

NathanOlder wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 12:03
LM10 wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 11:04
MtthsMlw wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 10:35

Or they put some more downforce on the car, just like they did in Mexico where they also gained less on the straight on Saturday than on Friday.
Finish line speed trap still shows the usual picture of Ferrari accelerating faster than anyone else. Also their top speed on every straight is still a couple of kmh higher than that of Merc or RB.
Yea, yesterday I wrote the same regarding finish line speed which is what really matters as it tells us something about acceleration which still was siginificantly better than others.

More downforce is a pretty realistic reason for the less gain on the straights compared to Friday. In S3 Ferrari was as fast as Mercedes. Only Verstappen was a tenth up.
Adding more downforce would hurt top speeds more than it would acceleration surely. With more downforce you can exit corners faster and put the power down harder which both help the initial acceleration.

It would be interesting to know the difference in top speeds across all 4 sessions so far.
Yeah, it’s also noticeable how close Ferrari are on time through all the corners - that speaks to running higher downforce, given their usual deficiency in those. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they also have half a mind to better protecting their tyres (by running more downforce to prevent sliding) since that’s where they’ve been really losing out despite all the poles.

As ever, it’s a far more nuanced picture than these articles would have you believe.

MtthsMlw

NathanOlder wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 12:03

Speeds from FP2 and Q3
FP2 - First DRS
Ferrari 303
Merc 300
RB 301

FP2 - Second DRS
Ferrari 318
Merc 319
RB 315

Q3 - First DRS
Ferrari 311 (+8km/h)
Merc 308 (+8km/h)
RB 308 (+7km/h)

Q3 - Second DRS
Ferrari 328 (+10km/h)
Merc 325 (+6km/h)
RB 323 (+8km/h)

Wass85
Wass85

It's crazy how close they are, you could watch the onboards of the top 4 and pick a new winner each time. If I were to guess Bottas' lap looks the slowest out of the lot to me but the timing board says otherwise.

Capharol
Capharol

Guys i know it doesn't belong here but i guess not all members go in the "off topic" part of this forum and thats why i post the link here

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28564

would be niice if anyone can help

sorry for the OT

izzy
izzy

MtthsMlw wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 13:41
Lec is down 5km/h on Vettel before turn 12 maybe due to his older engine but he is faster in almost all slower corners.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIcdfWKXYAA ... name=large
how interesting. Nobody is the fastest everywhere, it's like they have to trade off one corner for another in a lot of places. Valtteri is fast pretty much everywhere tho, apart from 5

Juzh

MtthsMlw wrote:
Both ferraris had ~5 kmh lower top speeds on their second Q3 runs. It's just that leclerc improved on his second lap and vettel didn't. Here's leclerc's first q3 lap with purple S1 and same top speed as vettel.
https://streamable.com/ngueu

and hamilton's lap
https://streamable.com/z1vry

LM10
LM10

MtthsMlw wrote:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIcdfWKXYAA ... name=large
That's a nice illustration. We can see that Vettel with 95 km/h was the slowest at the last corner, yet he was the clearly fastest at the finish line. His speed was at 225.5 km/h there and Hamilton, the second fastest driver, was 3 km/h down. That's a gain of 9 km/h relative to Hamilton on just 120 meters. That indicates that their outstanding acceleration still was there.