2019 Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos, 15-17 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
turbof1

Re: 2019 Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos, 15-17 November

Wass85 wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 23:40
Big Tea wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 23:33
Wass85 wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 23:30
In hindsight looking back Mercedes were foolish to keep Hamilton out at the end. We saw how easy Verstappen passed Hamilton after the first stops so there's no way in hell he could have held him off.

James Vowles surely has to go, one swallow does not make a summer for him IMO.

The team better be working on a new engine for next season or else they are going to be swallowed up from the get go.
(discounting the collision) what was to lose? one place either way. I see it as the best call with the knowledge they had.
That's what I thought at first but it's pretty obvious it was the wrong call for these reasons.

1. Hamilton couldn't hold Verstappen off on tyres of a similar age after the first stop.

2. Didn't the team realise that during a safety car the pack is bunched up, this means that you have fast cars on your gearbox with fresh tyres.

3. The Mercedes was very slow up the hill, Mercedes knew this and surely understood they would be a sitting duck once others have DRS.
Well normally in a restart the first driver has a massive advantage since that one can determine the pace and determine when to launch the car. Usually that means that driver has a rather massive advantage at the restart. That is what you'll see at pretty much every other venue.

But at Interlagos it is not that simple. The last few corners are rather high speed. Going too soon will make that the pursuing car has a long toe. Also given there is no slow corner to pounce from, there's opportunity to bunch the field up and take everybody by surprise. That and Verstappen was really on the money.

Though Hamilton would have lost the position anyway. The difference in tyre was really big.
#AeroFrodo

Capharol

Mercedes Formula 1 team technical director James Allison has called the decision to give Lewis Hamilton the opportunity to pit under the final safety car in Brazilian “dumb” and a “rookie error.”
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... b/4599280/

Wass85

turbof1 wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 23:47
Wass85 wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 23:40
Big Tea wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 23:33

(discounting the collision) what was to lose? one place either way. I see it as the best call with the knowledge they had.
That's what I thought at first but it's pretty obvious it was the wrong call for these reasons.

1. Hamilton couldn't hold Verstappen off on tyres of a similar age after the first stop.

2. Didn't the team realise that during a safety car the pack is bunched up, this means that you have fast cars on your gearbox with fresh tyres.

3. The Mercedes was very slow up the hill, Mercedes knew this and surely understood they would be a sitting duck once others have DRS.
Well normally in a restart the first driver has a massive advantage since that one can determine the pace and determine when to launch the car. Usually that means that driver has a rather massive advantage at the restart. That is what you'll see at pretty much every other venue.

But at Interlagos it is not that simple. The last few corners are rather high speed. Going too soon will make that the pursuing car has a long toe. Also given there is no slow corner to pounce from, there's opportunity to bunch the field up and take everybody by surprise. That and Verstappen was really on the money.

Though Hamilton would have lost the position anyway. The difference in tyre was really big.
See my last post, knowing how poor the Merc was down the straight Lewis should have left it as late as possible like Max did. In the end Max would have got by anyway but these little mistakes from Hamilton irk me.
Last edited by Wass85 on 17 Nov 2019, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.

Wass85

If I'm not mistaken didn't Lewis and Max have the same tyre allocation this weekend, how come Lewis didn't have any new softs left? Was it a pointless extra lap in qualifying?

cooken

Vettel on Leclerc reminds me of Perez in Singapore, sudden move to the left for no real reason except bullying.

I don't see why Leclerc has to move over at all if he's alongside. IMO collision is at least 70/30.

LM10

What I'm gonna be curious about is, if the Honda is going to be stronger than Mercedes in Abu Dhabi as well. If yes, that would be, let's say, really interesting.
Honda was certainly not at the level of Mercedes at the beginning of the season. Now they seem to have surpassed them.

Wass85

LM10 wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 00:11
What I'm gonna be curious about is, if the Honda is going to be stronger than Mercedes in Abu Dhabi as well. If yes, that would be, let's say, really interesting.
Honda was certainly not at the level of Mercedes at the beginning of the season. Now they seem to have surpassed them.
I don't know I think they've been competitive all year long tbh, I've always found the Mercedes seems very slow relative to other cars on race day especially when they have DRS activated.

Big Tea

LM10 wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 00:11
Mercedes has lost the necessity to be the advanced engine now. The championship is settled and the will gain more kudos from observing the engines limit. However, as Botas engine quit today, I wonder what the replacement unit will be like?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan

Wass85 wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 23:55
If I'm not mistaken didn't Lewis and Max have the same tyre allocation this weekend, how come Lewis didn't have any new softs left? Was it a pointless extra lap in qualifying?
You're mistaken.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

TwanV

Or Mercedes has a relatively draggier car at altitude.. Or their engines are turned down due to the mileage. There are so many variables that can explain why the Honda powered cars seemed quick today. But its definitely up there in the mix now that's for sure.

Just_a_fan

Re: Mercedes top speed - the team already told us that they designed a "downforce at all costs" car this year. Downforce means drag and if your competitors have similar power, more drag means lower top speed than your competitors. They've benefited from good tyre life because of the downforce, but lost out on the straights.

Wass85

Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 00:18
Wass85 wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 23:55
You're mistaken.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EInKGnSWkAA ... =4096x4096
Lewis couldn't have won then whatever strategy, Max is the man of the day and deserved so.

Jolle

Looks like Mercedes has less cooling for the higher altitude races, which gives them an advantage at the sea level races. More a tradeoff than a disadvantage as seen in the standings.

Just_a_fan

TwanV wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 00:19
Or Mercedes has a relatively draggier car at altitude.. Or their engines are turned down due to the mileage. There are so many variables that can explain why the Honda powered cars seemed quick today. But its definitely up there in the mix now that's for sure.
The RedBulls have used 5 ICEs and TR have used 7 ICEs this season compared to Mercedes 3 so the Merc lumps are probably a bit tired now, and that won't have helped today at all.

Just_a_fan

Wass85 wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 00:22
Max is the man of the day and deserved so.
I'd go with Sainz, to be honest. Last place to third is much more impressive than starting on pole and winning, especially if the former is in a midfield car, the latter in a top car.