Leclerc's win in Monza signals the arrival of F1 reality TV

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
siskue2005

Re: Leclerc's win in Monza signals the arrival of F1 reality TV

marmer wrote:
21 Sep 2019, 11:32
strad wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 20:05
What gets me is they, the Hamilton fans, are more upset than Lewis. He said he had no problem and shook Leclerc's hand in parc ferme.
The reason for this i think hamilton on reflection would have done exactly the same if it had been his first year in mclaren or if it was a title fight and he was the lead car. do the risky slighty dirty move and hope to get away with it.
Lol, have u seen Lewis first year at mclaren? He was very very clean while driving so many races wheel to wheel with Alonso. He never did anything like what leclerc did in Monza! Fact!

He accepted the situation coz he knows he doesn't need to win every battle to win the war!

NathanOlder

To be fair, Charles only took this approach after what happened in Austria. He said as much himself.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14473 ... in-austria

So he's only doing what others did to him.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

zeph

Sorry for reviving this zombie thread but I feel time has confirmed my initial assertion.

The brazen meddling in Abu Dhabi 2021 and today's unnecessary double red flags have really hit the point home for me; F1 wants entertainment, and won't shy away from creating some if nothing is happening.

Whether that's good or bad depends on your view. But as a longtime fan I just feel cheated.

Sorry for the rant.

TimW

Totally agree, can only hope that they learn something from this farce

101FlyingDutchman

Maybe as Masi is there for the first time in ages…(joke obviously)

PlatinumZealot

Well entertainment keeps the lights on. The Netflix series was a huge boon for the sport.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ChrisF1

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 16:48
Well entertainment keeps the lights on. The Netflix series was a huge boon for the sport.
But has brought the wrong type of fans in.

They're Fairweather fans who like a driver, and when that driver goes, they will as well.

Just look at the lunatics on social media who openly only support Lewis because he's black, and openly hate on George Russell and Mercedes.

Then there's the Brit side, of which we've always been pretty toxic since the Schumacher v Hill days, but it's a new level of hatred coming from Brits towards Max.

These Fairweather fans are young, don't have disposable incomes, and aren't going to stick around for 20 years time when they do.

Who is buying a Ferrari, or a Rolex, or a Merc, or Workday software? It sure as hell isn't the drive to survive newbies.

F1 is shooting itself hard in the foot by catering to the younger demographic. Long term this will come back to bite.

PlatinumZealot

Openly Supporting Lewis because he is black is no different than openly supporting your Nationality.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sieper

You skin color, every color is equally as worthy, is not your nationality.

PlatinumZealot

Sieper wrote:
03 Apr 2023, 19:23
You skin color, every color is equally as worthy, is not your nationality.
I'm saying the persons who do this are normal. They are no different from person who support by Nationality In other words they are supporting the driver who they believe they can relate to.

Nothing is wrong with that.

I have watche F1 since early 2000's and none of the drivers or Nationalities are "like me" I'm there for the engineering spectacle.

To the contrary, I have come to learn that the Netflix generation actually supports drivers on who they "like" from the show (hero, anti-hero, villian, looks) not necessarily who are most similar to them.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sieper

Understood. But to me, my nationality is something that, I can’t explain it, rationally it makes no sense, we are all human, does make me feel happy and proud when it is represented in a good way. It objectively has nothing to do with me what a fellow countryman does, but when it is something great it does make me deeply happy. Olympics volleyball finale 96 was my happiest moment in sports. Max becoming a WC a close second. But F1 also comes with a lot of anguish. Volleyball never had that for me. Plus I played myself back then. I advise against it 😄if you want to keep your knees passed your thirties.

ChrisF1

PlatinumZealot wrote:
03 Apr 2023, 19:17
Openly Supporting Lewis because he is black is no different than openly supporting your Nationality.
No, which I am not a fan of either.

I prefer to take every person as they come, not I don't like them because they're a different race, religion, gender.

There have been plenty of English drivers I haven't liked. I prefer to judge a character and attitude to driving, not "I'll like them regardless just because of them being the same as me"

For me, having fans that only support a driver because he's beating white people, which is another thing they say, is also a toxic addition to our fanbase.

PlatinumZealot

How did you form that conclusion in your last paragragh?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ChrisF1

PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Apr 2023, 02:50
How did you form that conclusion in your last paragragh?
Because they write about how F1 was fixed to stop the black man winning (didn't stop him winning the other 7 did they?), and that F1 is fixed in favour of the "great white hope", meaning Max.

Do you seriously not think that behaviour is toxic?

If you don't, try posting that on this forum and see what the admin say.

zeph

Toxic. I really dislike how that word is being thrown around to signify anything that may be deemed offensive to anyone.

But this going way off-topic and I wouldn’t be surprised if this got out of control, resulting in a locked thread.

So can we let that go and stay on topic, the dramafication of F1? Thanks.