2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
izzy

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

It's not for sale. "A reliable source" and heaps of irrelevant facts to make it sound factual

It's worth billions to the brand, but not to some other brand, so they're keeping it thanks very much. That what my mum says and she IS reliable

GPR-A

izzy wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 11:49
It's not for sale. "A reliable source" and heaps of irrelevant facts to make it sound factual

It's worth billions to the brand, but not to some other brand, so they're keeping it thanks very much. That what my mum says and she IS reliable
There is reason to quit when the team is not performing well and struggling to make revenues and requires Daimler to fund a lot. The situation was ideal in 2012 to quit, but they didn't.

All of these rumors are for Mercedes to get more lucrative pie from Liberty and more authority on the table for the ongoing Concorde deal. Losing such a marquee would dent the commercials and value proposition for F1 and Liberty. These rumors woukd fly around until Concorde agreement is signed.

izzy

GPR -A wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 12:04
There is reason to quit when the team is not performing well and struggling to make revenues and requires Daimler to fund a lot. The situation was ideal in 2012 to quit, but they didn't.

All of these rumors are for Mercedes to get more lucrative pie from Liberty and more authority on the table for the ongoing Concorde deal. Losing such a marquee would dent the commercials and value proposition for F1 and Liberty. These rumors woukd fly around until Concorde agreement is signed.
Yes exactly. F1 is hardly costing them anything and it's worth ridiculous amounts in promotion value, but they're negotiating as you say. Meanwhile "F1insight" has spent his $10 on his website and now he needs some visitors. Perfect combo

RZS10

The Mercedes strategy team seems to completely lose the plot when the races become chaotic, they made a mess of Hockenheim and now did not make one good decision with Lewis in Brazil, especially once the SC came out ...

El Scorchio

RZS10 wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 00:43
The Mercedes strategy team seems to completely lose the plot when the races become chaotic, they made a mess of Hockenheim and now did not make one good decision with Lewis in Brazil, especially once the SC came out ...
Completely agree. I've said this for many years. When they have been comfortable in the lead, strategy is not a problem and they always go safety first. Their pace has long covered for the shortcomings of their strategists. In the heat of battle and under pressure, they are found wanting and make bad decisions time and again. Today was a prime example, and there are several other occasions this season and in recent ones where Bottas or Hamilton have been managed out of contention for wins or race positions. They and Ferrari are no match for Red Bull's strategists.

e30ernest

I don't know... I think their blunder was putting Lewis on the softs again in the first round of stops. The SC pitstop was a no-win scenario for him. If he didn't pit, he had several cars with fresher tires right behind him. I think they were betting on him having his second place back (which was doable) and at worst, a third place. Had he not stopped, he'll probably still be passed by Albon leaving him in third.

The did run a risk of running out of laps behind the safety car though. However, it proved to be the right decision IMO. If he did not hit Albon, the strategy would have worked.

Juzh

dans79

197 104 103 7

SiLo

Bit harsh to blame the strategy team there. They got him out in front of Verstappen and it was only because he got stuck behind leclerc that he got overtaken again. If he managed to stay ahead I don' think Verstappen had enough pace to get by under normal conditions. At that point their decision at the safety car would probably become a lot easier.
Felipe Baby!

loner

but didn't Kubica block Max?!!
para bellum.

izzy

loner wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 15:55
yes Mercedes were lucky with that, and unlucky with Charles being in the way then letting both through at once. Then it was a bit short-sighted perhaps for Merc to have Lewis use up all his battery on the undercut lap, tho they thought they had to. And they were about 1s slower in the pitstop too iirc. But all together Max was just a bit too fast on the day I think - his inlap was fast where he could be and his outlap too, and the gap was 2s i think at the start of it all, which is a bit marginal for an undercut.

NathanOlder

loner wrote:
Yeah, but if Kubica hadn't have been there, Max would have come out right where Kubica did. Kubica was no where near being in front of Lewis on the exit. So it didnt cost Max position to Lewis.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

izzy

NathanOlder wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 19:31
loner wrote:
Yeah, but if Kubica hadn't have been there, Max would have come out right where Kubica did. Kubica was no where near being in front of Lewis on the exit. So it didnt cost Max position to Lewis.
that's a good point. Obvious now you say! a bit closer but still behind. So the team didn't need to go quite so 11 on the strat

NL_Fer

izzy wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 16:26
loner wrote:
yes Mercedes were lucky with that, and unlucky with Charles being in the way then letting both through at once. Then it was a bit short-sighted perhaps for Merc to have Lewis use up all his battery on the undercut lap, tho they thought they had to. And they were about 1s slower in the pitstop too iirc. But all together Max was just a bit too fast on the day I think - his inlap was fast where he could be and his outlap too, and the gap was 2s i think at the start of it all, which is a bit marginal for an undercut.
They drained the battery to undercut Verstappen, but could still recharge it on the lap after Verstappen rejoined the track behind Lewis. But at that point Hamilton was trying to overtake LeClerc to prevent Verstappen from catching up and probably was using the battery in an agressive deployment mode.

I suspect that if Lewis recharged immediately after the undercut, he wouldn’t be able to overtake LeClerc and Verstappen would be on his tail just the same.

Remember Verstappen was also faster in the last corner before the uphill straight, equal with power and drag and has the tow. Really unbeatable this race.

loner

NathanOlder wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 19:31
Max would be closer and overtake both LH and CL in same time with his batteries Lock n' Loaded.. EPIC.
well i would really loved to watch it but Gas vs LH did its charm.
para bellum.