2019 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, 29 - 1 November/December

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Wouter

Re: 2019 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, 29 - 1 November/December

The Power of Dreams!

Just_a_fan

Presumably Mercedes and Alfa Romeo used the 2020 compounds too. Interesting that they did their fastest laps on this year's tyre.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

matt_b

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 16:59
Presumably Mercedes and Alfa Romeo used the 2020 compounds too. Interesting that they did their fastest laps on this year's tyre.
If there is one thing we have learned from Mercedes over the many years of testing is that they do not show their hand until Australia, they won't give anyone a sniff of how fast they can go with the 2020 tyres even if it's the 2019 car.

Sierra117

Bsowles wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 08:29
Sierra117 wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 02:49
Ah, the final stage in the life of every ThreadStar. As the mass of regret over one's driver exceeds beyond an unbearable level, it collapses in on itself and results in an invisible but certainly super massive ThreadHole, where nothing, not even light, can escape. All logic and reasoning is bent out of shape as it travels past the accretion disk, which is full of infinite loops of fanboi-ism, and causes said logic and reasoning to fall into the event horizon, whereby it gets torn apart leading to what we call, "BANNED SPACE".
Well done, Sierra! (from someone who actually lives in the Sierra mountains in the US).
Haha :D While mine is inspired by the Halo games, this is probably the earliest favourite word of mine. I think there was also a Toyota Sierra in my childhood and of course something related to Valve and Half Life which were my first exposure to it.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

NathanOlder

Sierra117 wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 18:46
Bsowles wrote:
Sierra117 wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 02:49
Ah, the final stage in the life of every ThreadStar. As the mass of regret over one's driver exceeds beyond an unbearable level, it collapses in on itself and results in an invisible but certainly super massive ThreadHole, where nothing, not even light, can escape. All logic and reasoning is bent out of shape as it travels past the accretion disk, which is full of infinite loops of fanboi-ism, and causes said logic and reasoning to fall into the event horizon, whereby it gets torn apart leading to what we call, "BANNED SPACE".
Well done, Sierra! (from someone who actually lives in the Sierra mountains in the US).
Haha :D While mine is inspired by the Halo games, this is probably the earliest favourite word of mine. I think there was also a Toyota Sierra in my childhood and of course something related to Valve and Half Life which were my first exposure to it.
Ford Sierra maybe?

The RS500 was awesome.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

maxxer

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 20:04
214270 wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 14:42
Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 12:38
Looks like Charles and Max either stalled their engines or forgot the finish procedure and turned them off before going to the line.
My guess was that it was for safety not drive through the cloud of smoke.
Seemed like it was agreed upon with Masi otherwise Max would have been disqualified and get 6 points on his license and ferrari a 2500 euro fine!

Haha, they stalled - rookie error!! They’ll both get better at it as they mature no doubt.
The control unit's champion detector alarmed and shut the car off. No donuts if you are not a WDC!

"Accelrometer input: donuts detected... Warning! Donuts detected! "

"Seat input: Chamionship not detected! championship not detected!
Shutting down in three.. Two...one.. "

maxxer

bugs
Last edited by maxxer on 05 Dec 2019, 01:07, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan

S'funny how we look back at these things: The RS500 was amazing back in the day, but it'd be beaten senseless by a modern hot hatch, let alone a modern high-performance saloon.

Same with the Lotus Carlton. There were calls for that car to be banned because it was soooooo fast. Today's hot saloons would be saying "here old man, hold my beer" to it. :)

NathanOlder

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 20:14
S'funny how we look back at these things: The RS500 was amazing back in the day, but it'd be beaten senseless by a modern hot hatch, let alone a modern high-performance saloon.

Same with the Lotus Carlton. There were calls for that car to be banned because it was soooooo fast. Today's hot saloons would be saying "here old man, hold my beer" to it. :)
The Sierra was capable of 0-60 in 5.5 seconds I think it was, definitely under 6.

over 30 years later, where are we at?

How off topic can this be :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan

NathanOlder wrote:
05 Dec 2019, 00:35
Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 20:14

The Sierra was capable of 0-60 in 5.5 seconds I think it was, definitely under 6.

over 30 years later, where are we at?

How off topic can this be :lol:
6.1s according to https://www.evo.co.uk/ford/21747/ford-s ... -and-specs.

But you're right, we're OT here... :oops:

Sierra117

NathanOlder wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 19:28
Sierra117 wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 18:46
Bsowles wrote:

Ford Sierra maybe?

The RS500 was awesome.
Oh wait it was the Toyota Sera, not Sierra lol. I think my brain somehow transposed Sierra from the game thing to the car due to the colour of the car I saw that matched the Sierra logo lol.

Yeah it's OT but at least it's not the destructive kind haha. Anyway time to stop I guess.
Last edited by Sierra117 on 06 Dec 2019, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Wouter

2019 Abu Dhabi- Yas Marina Circuit, Pirelli testdays.

Before the two testdays:

If 70% of the teams decide to stay on the 2019 tyre, next year's tyres will be the 2019 ones

"For the moment, the FIA has homologated the 2020 tyres so this is the product for next year unless after the test, and each team has given feedback to the FIA, there is a decision taken by at least 70% of the teams to stay on the 2019 tyre. In that case, next year's tyres will be the 2019 ones.

Clarifying when a decision would taken by, Isola replied: "Monday the 9th of December so we don't have a lot of time!"
After the two testdays:

Pirelli admit feedback on 2020 tyres 'mixed' as debate continues over next season's rubber

Two days of tyre testing in Abu Dhabi has left Pirelli with "mixed" results from the teams, with the Italian tyre firm saying they'd be happy to continue with the current compounds in 2020 rather than a new spec if the majority of the grid wants to.

All 10 teams ran the 2020-spec compounds across Tuesday and Wednesday at the Yas Marina Circuit, while also getting the opportunity to use this year's tyres in order to compare the differences. Mario Isola, Pirelli's Head of F1 and Car Racing, was present throughout and was pleased with the amount of running carried out in consistent conditions. But when asked what the initial feedback was, he replied: "Mixed.

"Because some of [the drivers] found an improvement in some characteristics of the tyre or some compounds but not an improvement on some other characteristics or in some cases the new tyres are not working at the expected level. So that's why it will not be very easy to understand the real performance of the tyres.
The Power of Dreams!

LM10

(Because it's the thread of the last race, I'm posting it here)

This needs to be watched! :lol: