[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

maunde wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 23:04

Tube frames are gorgeous. I am currently designing a single-seater/open-wheel/closed-canopy hill climb car. It will be tube framed to reduce cost, and welded by myself.
Fantastic project! We are bit off topic here, but I would like to see it once completed.
maunde wrote: Do you have any resources pertaining to the structural design of such cars?
I don't use specific normatives, but I can check the frame with FEM simulations (it is my ordinary job) and do some optimisations. The frame for the CFD race will be a bit oversized and simplified (no need to detail uniball or suspension geometry or engine supports for cfd purposes).

maunde

CAEdevice wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 23:23
maunde wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 23:04

Tube frames are gorgeous. I am currently designing a single-seater/open-wheel/closed-canopy hill climb car. It will be tube framed to reduce cost, and welded by myself.
Fantastic project! We are bit off topic here, but I would like to see it once completed.
maunde wrote: Do you have any resources pertaining to the structural design of such cars?
I don't use specific normatives, but I can check the frame with FEM simulations (it is my ordinary job) and do some optimisations. The frame for the CFD race will be a bit oversized and simplified (no need to detail uniball or suspension geometry or engine supports for cfd purposes).
The canopy will be inspired by closed-canopy top fuel dragsters.

The use of tube framing for packaging may add interesting concave features (where the tubes are not present).

Depending on time, I may be interested in participating if allowed.
A kiwi looking to fly like McLaren.

variante

wb92 wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 22:40
@Variante - you maybe? As you presented one of the best aerodynamically FS car and team.
Yep! I've spent like 3 years there...way too much, considering how many exams i skipped during that time. I'm still attending uni, so i still check what the team is up to, from time to time.
The team is Dynamis PRC, from Milan.
^^this is the car i directly put my hands on the most.

etsmc

Count me in for a one off challenge :)

CAEdevice

maunde wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 23:30
Depending on time, I may be interested in participating if allowed.
etsmc wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 04:27
Count me in for a one off challenge :)
Ok, I will open a dedicated thread later.

machin

CAEdevice wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 16:15
Hi everybody, considering the coming winter, long and boring without F1 races and, especially, without MVRC races, would you be interested in competing in a single CFD race in the next February?
Sounds interesting... I like the idea of taking the chassis of a "real" car and doing an aerokit for it... (I had a similar idea for a one-off race which I briefly talked about with Andre, although as I like sportscars, my idea was centred on that type of car...)

Who's doing the CFD analyses and lap time predictions?
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

machin

variante wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 00:12
wb92 wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 22:40
@Variante - you maybe? As you presented one of the best aerodynamically FS car and team.
Yep! I've spent like 3 years there...way too much, considering how many exams i skipped during that time. I'm still attending uni, so i still check what the team is up to, from time to time.
The team is Dynamis PRC, from Milan.
https://i.imgur.com/OIAN9j7.jpg
^^this is the car i directly put my hands on the most.
Seriously nice car. 8)

But in that photo the team have committed the one sin that I really cannot bear to see: Design a really nice aerodynamic package and then stick a bl**dy GO-PRO brick on it.... #-o

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 14:47
CAEdevice wrote:
Hi everybody, considering the coming winter, long and boring without F1 races and, especially, without MVRC races, would you be interested in competing in a single CFD race in the next February?
Sounds interesting... I like the idea of taking the chassis of a "real" car and doing an aerokit for it... (I had a similar idea for a one-off race which I briefly talked about with Andre, although as I like sportscars, my idea was centred on that type of car...)

Hi Richard. The perfect option would be to have a dedicate MFlow template end your consultancy to add a track to Vortual Stopwatch: MantiumFlow and Competition Car would provide this kind of tecnhical partnership but I would do CFD simulation and data transfer to VSW.

About sportscars: I also like them... maybe next year!

Koldskaal

CAEdevice wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 14:55
machin wrote:
CAEdevice wrote:

Hi Richard. The perfect option would be to have a dedicate MFlow template end your consultancy to add a track to Vortual Stopwatch: MantiumFlow and Competition Car would provide this kind of tecnhical partnership but I would do CFD simulation and data transfer to VSW.

Sounds very interesting. But if Andre and Richard need some time off, then there are other ways to do a one off race. For the MFlow template, wouldnt the "car coarse" template work? For the laptime, if you are going for complete offseason ROC-style sillyness then you could extrapolate an aeromap from the simulation results and export this to Assetto Corsa (I think the modding template is very similar to a F3) And let the best driver/designer win :D
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

CAEdevice

Koldskaal wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 17:56
CAEdevice wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 14:55
machin wrote:

Sounds very interesting. But if Andre and Richard need some time off, then there are other ways to do a one off race. For the MFlow template, wouldnt the "car coarse" template work? For the laptime, if you are going for complete offseason ROC-style sillyness then you could extrapolate an aeromap from the simulation results and export this to Assetto Corsa (I think the modding template is very similar to a F3) And let the best driver/designer win :D
I can use a track already included in VSW

machin

We’d have to put in a new data set for the new car, but that’s not a big problem.

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 23:00
We’d have to put in a new data set for the new car, but that’s not a big problem.
You are right, I forgot it.

As soon as possible I will declare the basic data (wheelbase, weight, engine power, cooling flow, inlet/outlet engine flow, ...) so you can add it to VSW and LDVH (if it is ok to provide a demo version of MFlow) can provide a template (similar about all other features to MVRC template).

I was tempted to add a braking model based on cooling flow inside brake ducts, but 99% I will only require a postive pressure integral on an ideal brake cooling duct inlet (as we did for engine cooling in the old KVRC cars).

LVDH

wb92 wrote:
08 Dec 2019, 18:12
Regarding last race results - I think I still haven't received official post-pro data.
Is it only me or I missed the mail?
Hi, I simply totally forgot. I am on MVRC vacation. I will try to send the reports out this Friday.

CAEdevice wrote:
Hi everybody, considering the coming winter, long and boring without F1 races and, especially, without MVRC races, would you be interested in competing in a single CFD race in the next February? I am working on this template. I would be happy to have André and Richard among the competitors (I will personally take a break).

https://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/Formul ... _00001.jpg

It is a small car, no more than 250HP, much less than 3000mm wheelbase, F3 tyres and less than 500kg, but it looks funny.
You can count me in. It is time for a new MantiumRay.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
11 Dec 2019, 19:04
You can count me in. It is time for a new MantiumRay.
Thanks!

Official thread has been published just now.

wb92

Hello after a while!
I have a question to our dear MVRC organisers - when is it more-or-less planned to start the next season?
It's just that I could try to plan when my hardware should be ready to burn bit more than usual :)
MVRC - WBRacing