What car do u drive and what have u driven so far?

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
djos

Re: What car do u drive and what have u driven so far?

Phil wrote:
11 Dec 2019, 10:41
This is good information about the DCT. However, how damaging slow driving is to these transmissions surely also depends on the gear ratio? E.g. a longer first gear will mean the clutch could fully engage at lower speed? Meaning that the slipping would only occur at speeds from 1kmh to 4-5kmh, rather than up to 10-15kmh?

I guess i never really thought about that, but given i do find myself in traffic jams every now and then, driving at walking speeds sometimes, even up hill, is unavoidable in these situations.
Most DCT cars I’ve driven have a very short 1st ratio (including my own).
"In downforce we trust"

Tommy Cookers

SmallSoldier wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 23:50
....Actually, In traffic, the DCT will always be better than a manual, since the clutch slip is regulated... Furthermore, most DCT’s have “wet clutches” and won’t burn themselves in that situation...

What is not advisable is to push the car in “normal” Mode, thus is because the clutch pressure in normal/comfort mode is very low and that will induce clutch slip and therefore faster wear of the clutches.
are these clutches friction clutches ? ...or ...
non-torque-multiplying fluid couplings ? ...or ...
contact-load-modulated friction clutches ? (eg hydraulically modulated)

CVTs wore their clutches where owners thought they gave non-wearing creep like a fluid coupling
likewise most of the semi-automatics

Jolle

Tommy Cookers wrote:
11 Dec 2019, 12:26
SmallSoldier wrote:
....Actually, In traffic, the DCT will always be better than a manual, since the clutch slip is regulated... Furthermore, most DCT’s have “wet clutches” and won’t burn themselves in that situation...

What is not advisable is to push the car in “normal” Mode, thus is because the clutch pressure in normal/comfort mode is very low and that will induce clutch slip and therefore faster wear of the clutches.

CVTs wore their clutches where owners thought they gave non-wearing creep like a fluid coupling
I think DTC’s normally have multi plate dry friction clutches, like race cars. Except the first generation VW’s, they had wet clutches. A dry clutch is more efficient then a wet one.

SmallSoldier

Jolle wrote:
Tommy Cookers wrote:
11 Dec 2019, 12:26
SmallSoldier wrote:

I think DTC’s normally have multi plate dry friction clutches, like race cars. Except the first generation VW’s, they had wet clutches. A dry clutch is more efficient then a wet one.
Performance oriented cars use DCTs with a multi plate wet clutch configuration... The use of oil with clutches and friction plates is to help dissipate heat... Dry applications are usually used in low torque / performance vehicles

Porsche, BMW Ms, Nissan GTRs for example use wet clutch DCTs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strad

The 2020 GT500 is going to have a DCT with a "wet/dry" clutch pack.
It's only "wet" when it start over heating.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Belatti

The most extreme thing I drove was a Pagani Zonda Revolución.
The last thing I drove appart from my car was an SLS GT3.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Greg Locock

The advantage of wet clutch is that the operating temperature, and hence the friction characteristics, and hence the smoothness of gear changes, are much better defined. The advantage of dry clutch is cost.

J.A.W.

I'm fairly sure 'emissions reduction factors' do enter into the use of wet-multiplate clutch types.

Motorcycles have used both wet & dry clutches for 'yonks' (a technical term for untold ages),
with the convenience of a dry clutch enabling ready 'hands-on' for 'tuning' - thus making
them the choice of race (& 'racy') machines - but dust ejection/fluid ingress & general noisy
rattling commotion-types of issues - have seen the wet-oily type take over (& some'll run ATF).

Oddly enough, ~1/2 a century ago the racing prowess of a hi-po mini-car (Cooper S) led to the
use of its dry B & B single-friction plate clutch in the new ~60hp BSA/Triumph triple 'superbikes',
(to be followed up by the adoption of the BMC machine's 'small but perfectly formed' AP-Lockheed
disc brakes) albeit, in true British 'lash-up' manner, the clutch was sandwiched twixt oily compartments
viz: primary & gearbox transmission units, thus neatly negating the readily accessible dry clutch advantage.
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Andres125sx

Belatti wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 02:37
The most extreme thing I drove was a Pagani Zonda Revolución.
The last thing I drove appart from my car was an SLS GT3.
If I can only see any of them I will be a happy man :mrgreen:

zeph

'94 Toyota Carina 2.0 GLi
'92 Subaru Legacy 1.8 Stationwagon (basically an Outback)
'05 Infiniti FX35
'15 Toyota Highlander XLE
'19 Infiniti QX80

You always love your first car, and that was true of my Carina as well. Perfect first car, enough power, handled well, spacious, and durable.

The Subaru drove like on rails, and it was super versatile. I liked it so much, I'd buy an Outback if I was in the market today.

The FX35 is badass. It's basically a Nissan 350Z on stilts, disguised as an SUV. I still drive it and love it. To me, the original FX was Nissan building a better Cayenne than Porsche. Fingers crossed they will build a new FX on the upcoming 400Z, but I'm not holding my breath.

My least favorite car was the Highlander, we thought we didn't need AWD but turns out the front wheels couldn't really handle ~300BHP. It was super-practical, though, more room and storage than the QX80 which is a lot bigger. Functional and reliable, but when the lease was up, we didn't feel like buying it.

The QX80 is sold outside the USA as the Nissan Patrol. It's a trad body-on-frame SUV, plush and big, a real offroader. This is basically my wife's car, and I'm a little embarrassed by it. Feels like every time I start the engine a tree dies (5.6L V8). It doesn't handle, but it's got that "king of the road" feeling. It drives a lot like the Landcruiser.

Next to the FX, the most fun I had in a car was my former employer's MG B with nitro. I don't think it was really all that fast, but it felt fast, like a kart almost.

My next car is either gonna be a Tesla Model 3 or Subaru Outback, but I do know I'm gonna keep the FX for years to come.