Formula CFD (MVRC spin-off)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Formula CFD (MVRC spin-off)

Hi, as announced in the MVRC thread, I would like to organise a CFD race (similar to a MVRC race) in February 2020.

Considering that we have few time, that I would like to have LDVH and Machin as partecipants (if they have time obviously) and that I would like to keep using their fantastic software as we did in MVRC, I decided to open this thread, so I can communicate to everyone some basic data (and later to share the car templates), in order to avoid giving anyone advantages.

So,the car will have this specifications:
  • Wheelbase 2600mm
  • Overall width front: 1800mm
  • Overall width rear: 1780mm
  • Rolling radius front wheels = 320mm
  • Rolling radius rearwheels = 320mm
  • Rear and front wheels have the same diameter and about the same deformed shape, measures changes a bit because they have different camber angles, you can consider the rear wheels center aligned with the front wheels center, except for the wheelbase (2600mm): given the front wheels center in (0,0,0), the rear wheels center is: (2600,0,0)
  • Rake: there will be more freedom about the foor, only the central part (the "step") will have a detailed template (and not in the gearbox area), so it think that the rake can be set to 0°, without any option to modify it
  • Center of mass (measured from the front wheels axle): 1560mm (to be confirmed)
  • F3 tyres (a bit more than needed, but aesthetically pleasing :)
  • Many feature in common with F1000 cars (especially the fantastic Griiip G1), but with simplifications and differences in order to have a symmetrical CFD model
  • 250 HP
  • ... (please Richard let me know what do you need to know to simulate the car into Virtual Stop Watch)
  • F1 2021 ground effect floor (it may look flat in the prliminary images, but it is not)
  • HX simulations, cooling flow around 1m^3/s (to be confirmed)
  • Both front and rear wings will be limited to a double closed profile in any longitudinal section ( = two airfoils).
    [+] Engine inlet/outlet simulation
  • Minimum required pressure resultant on brakes ducts (as we did about cooling inlets in the KVRC old races), 0MPa (to be confirmed)
  • Weight 475kg (to be confirmed)
I want to have a limited set of rules, so I will choose an "efficiency" track, in order to discourage and excessive presence of winglets, difficult to rule. There will be a new "10mm thickness" rule, but it is not ready yet.

LDVH and Machin: if you are interested to allow the use of demo dedicated versions of MFlow and VSW, I will consider you as technical sponsor (with logos on any official web page I will dedicate to the race): let me know on this thread which data do you need.

Now some bad news.

I have the possibility to process a small number of cars, so I will have to limit the partecipants to 10. In case more team would be interested, I will prepare a list assigning:

1) Points starting from 20 and decreasing by one for each position for the teams in the final chart of MVRC2019 (ex. Koldskaal 19 points, Variante 18 points, ...)

2) Points starting from 10 and decreasing by one considering the request to partecipate, you can write in this thread (sorry, for simplicity I will not consider the interest shown in the other thread, could you confirm here?)

3) 15 points for the technical sponsors (by the way, an HPC sponsor would be welcome)

In case you will not be in the first 10 places of the list you will be qualified for the race in case of a withdrawal or disqualification after the geometry check I will do in February, before the CFD simulations.

Subsmission of STEP files will be preferred, but I will accept STL provided that they are ready to be meshed (more information will be provided).

In case the organization is late, priority will be given to the calendar of the next edition of the MVRC

Thanks to all for your interest! There are two very preliminary images of the template.
Last edited by CAEdevice on 18 Dec 2019, 19:44, edited 5 times in total.

CAEdevice

Re: Formula CFD (MVRC spin-off)

Last edited by CAEdevice on 23 Dec 2019, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.

Ft5fTL

Count me in.

Edit: Team name is Pure Power Racing as usual.
Last edited by Ft5fTL on 13 Dec 2019, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

etsmc

Im in.

JJR
JJR

I would like to participate too as JJR Racing
Last edited by JJR on 13 Dec 2019, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.

CAEdevice

Thanks for participating, may I ask you to write your team name in the post?

yinlad

Ether Sim Sport reporting for duty o7
MVRC - Panthera

variante

Count me in. For this special occasion, i choose the name "AerofoilSolitude".
That's because i will use wings with one airfoil alone, so i won't give away my special wings to CAEdevice (my main rival in MVRC!). Else, i'll stand no chance to beat him next season...

I'm not 100% sure i'll have enough time for this competition, though. In the worst case, i'll try to drop out in time to leave room for another guy.

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 15:44
Count me in. For this special occasion, i choose the name "AerofoilSolitude".
That's because i will use wings with one airfoil alone, so i won't give away my special wings to CAEdevice (my main rival in MVRC!). Else, i'll stand no chance to beat him next season...

I'm not 100% sure i'll have enough time for this competition, though. In the worst case, i'll try to drop out in time to leave room for another guy.
Thanks, you remembered me a detail I forgot to mention in the first message (rule hypothesis): both front and rear wings will be limited to a double closed profile in any longitudinal section ( = two airfoils).

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
My intention (but it depends on the time I wll have in the next months) is to provide a full open source car, so in case you don't have enough time, you could focus on wings only.

Koldskaal

I'm in, but on the same conditions as variante. I can commit fully once deadlines are known. Great opportunity to test some of the things I have been working on.
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

CAEdevice

A new picture baout a car I am using as a reference, Formula Geely (China Granx Prix), with a difference about the engine (we need to keep everything symmetric for the numerical model, so no classic L4 engine but motorbike V4, even if less probable in a cheap formula car).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... engine.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... hassis.jpg

Meanwhile a rough but structurally more realistic frame is almost ready:

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
I gave away the whole car :)
... so I will be required to find some new ideas for MVRC.

maunde

I would be eager to participate. Team name - MuginsMotorsport (If needed). I understand there may not be enough spots, but please keep me updated!

Cheers.

(BTW, what software are you using for your CAD modelling?)
A kiwi looking to fly like McLaren.

LVDH

Hi,
count me in. My team will be MantiumRay.
And of course I can provide a version of MFlow, adapted for your challenge.
Could you please elaborate what the deal with the points is?