CFD - 2022 F1 Car

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

CFD - 2022 F1 Car

G'day! It's been a while... hasn't it? :)

With the 2019 season now concluded, and jjn and I being in stage 4 withdrawals right now, we figured that we needed "something" to keep our mi... ooooooo!! Is that the 2021 regulations??? :lol:

So, without further ado, I would like to present to you all our first, and legal (to the best of our knowledge), 2021 spec. F1 car!! And the first car that is wholly of F1T design!!

-sigh-... who would have thought that Aerosaruman and Aerogandalf would ever work together again, huh? =D>

So.......

What forum post from Vyssion would be complete, without some CFD: COLOUR FOR DIRECTORS!!

Very similar setup to the Perrinn model; straight ahead solve here, no crossflow or curved flow, steady-RANS w/ SST turbulence inc. wall functions, 31.5million elements, etc etc...

Here is a list of bullet points that, so far, we have twigged, and are gonna work on next. Now I am gonna shamelessly make excuses for any "iffy" performance or flow features you see, because... IT WAS OUR FIRST GO AT IT, OKAYYYY?? :cry: Overall, for a first go at it, the car performs very, very well; hats off to jjn.
  • CzS = -4.95
  • CxS = 1.80
  • Front Wheel wake is pretty crazy now... we will work on this
  • Going to reduce pitch setting of FW flaps
  • Inboard floor fence vortex isnt under control (just spreads out)
  • 2021 Force Breakdown = Floor (50%), FW (37%), RW (25%)
  • Compared to Perrinn = Floor (55%), FW (30%), RW (40%)
  • Higher than 100% is due to Lift generated on the chassis and wheels (6% lift on 2021 wheels, 9% lift on Perrinn)
  • Balance of 2021 is ~49% which is quite far forward, so we will correct this (starting with FW flaps as mentioned above)
  • Surprisingly large amount of low pressure below the car
  • Front suspension is stalled
  • Top of floor inlet is stalled
  • Rear of Lower sidepod expansion has stalled
  • RW flap stalled in curved EP sections (and slightly along TE) and RW as a whole is very draggy
-edit- replaced old gifs with larger ones - I made a mistake when I was creating them... oopsies
Last edited by Vyssion on 21 Dec 2019, 16:30, edited 3 times in total.
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

turbof1

Re: CFD of 2021 F1 Car

This is as far as I know the first genuine cfd analysis from any independent f1 website.

That'll teach the orc scum over at Mordorsport.
#AeroFrodo

Just_a_fan

=D> =D> =D>

Need to spend time looking at those images now... =P~
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

bauc

Superb work! =D>
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

godlameroso

Told you the balance would be a nightmare. Now wait till you see what happens around corners.

Good thing teams have a nice lead time.
Saishū kōnā

jjn9128

Not sure I'd agree that balance is a nightmare, we just have too much front flap. It's eminently fixable. We'll see what happens in cornering, I want to fix some of the issues with straight line tests first but we can't do many simulations so it might take a little while!

Teams also have 60-100+ aerodynamicists not just 2 but I'd bet their baseline case results weren't dissimilar.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

AMG.Tzan

godlameroso wrote:
20 Dec 2019, 15:18
Told you the balance would be a nightmare. Now wait till you see what happens around corners.

Good thing teams have a nice lead time.
Student here,

How do you understand that the balance won't be good?? From the pressures shown on the front and rear wings?? :oops:
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

godlameroso

Experience with past cars. Where the loads are being generated and how that's affected by the regulations changing.

They can definitely get the balance right with experience, but the initial designs are going to be a handful for the drivers. The biggest challenge will be to prevent the floor from stalling under yaw at lower speeds. The front wing is interesting no flow conditioning on the inside of the wing, very limited outwash. The part that generates downforce creates upwash that will choke the upper surface of the floor opening.
Saishū kōnā

Holm86

godlameroso wrote:
20 Dec 2019, 20:25
Experience with past cars. Where the loads are being generated and how that's affected by the regulations changing.

They can definitely get the balance right with experience, but the initial designs are going to be a handful for the drivers. The biggest challenge will be to prevent the floor from stalling under yaw at lower speeds. The front wing is interesting no flow conditioning on the inside of the wing, very limited outwash. The part that generates downforce creates upwash that will choke the upper surface of the floor opening.
I was also wondering about how they would handle yaw conditions.
Did the FIA only do straight line testing of these cars??

jjn9128

Holm86 wrote:
20 Dec 2019, 23:09
godlameroso wrote:
20 Dec 2019, 20:25

I was also wondering about how they would handle yaw conditions.
Did the FIA only do straight line testing of these cars??
FOM will have done yawed tests. They used the Sauber wind tunnel for experiments, which can yaw the turntable. With CFD they could do more than the F1 rules allow teams to do, you can bet cornering simulations were in there!
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

PhillipM

They even did 2-car yawed tests.

CAEdevice

I am simulating a car (not a F1, it is nearer to a F3) with a F1 2021 floor layout: I am pretty sure (as you wrote on the article) that the optimum rake will be around 0°, no matter if the front wing will be (a bit) more distant from the ground. You will have a significant drag reduction and you don't have a diffuser peak to balance.

jjn9128

CAEdevice wrote:
21 Dec 2019, 23:39
I am simulating a car (not a F1, it is nearer to a F3) with a F1 2021 floor layout: I am pretty sure (as you wrote on the article) that the optimum rake will be around 0°, no matter if the front wing will be (a bit) more distant from the ground. You will have a significant drag reduction and you don't have a diffuser peak to balance.
For this initial simulation I wanted the car at a similar attitude to what the FOM tests appeared to be - mainly because of the relationship between the diffuser endfences and the rear wheel vanes/fences (which are Z-260mm below the axle height).

If you look at this (admittedly the India model not the latest) there's a significant rake!
#aerogandalf

izzy

CAEdevice wrote:
21 Dec 2019, 23:39
i noticed this, that low rake worked better, but at the expense of load from the front wing. So is front wing height relative to the reference plane then?

Singabule

So the high rake would dying out? Not good for RB and the real battle would be the suspension tech.. Merc surely would hard to beat. But the teardrop would ensure good battle between car, so hopefully good season ahead. Thank you jjn and vysion! =D> =D>