McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Thunder

Re: McLaren MCL34

The Speculation Topic for the MCL35 is now opened: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=28641
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

mclaren111

Some of the last pictures of MCL34...

Good Bye Old Friend...

_cerber1

Nice and beautiful car

M840TR

Xero wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 02:37
Ground Effect wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 20:23
Do we think current front wing will be maintained?
Going by the wording I would suggest it will be different, my guess, towards Red Bull/Mercedes with a more loaded outboard. McLaren will be chasing more peak downforce at the front end, let's just hope they don't compromise it too much with added drag. The differences may be more subtle than we expect though.
I think drag is only secondary in concern to the instability outboard loaded FW induces.; one of the reasons many favoured tapered configuration.

Xero

M840TR wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 17:01
Xero wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 20:23
Do we think current front wing will be maintained?
Going by the wording I would suggest it will be different, my guess, towards Red Bull/Mercedes with a more loaded outboard. McLaren will be chasing more peak downforce at the front end, let's just hope they don't compromise it too much with added drag. The differences may be more subtle than we expect though.
I think drag is only secondary in concern to the instability outboard loaded FW induces.; one of the reasons many favoured tapered configuration.
I agree. In terms of outright performance through, it's no surprise to see Mercedes and Red Bull making up a lot of time over the rest where downforce is required. The tapered solution is clearly more efficient and helping stability, but at the cost of peak downforce. I believe McLaren and Ferrari are aware of it's limitations, and are prepared to sacrifice next season for the greater good.

M840TR

Xero wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 19:54
M840TR wrote:
Xero wrote:

I agree. In terms of outright performance through, it's no surprise to see Mercedes and Red Bull making up a lot of time over the rest where downforce is required. The tapered solution is clearly more efficient and helping stability, but at the cost of peak downforce. I believe McLaren and Ferrari are aware of it's limitations, and are prepared to sacrifice next season for the greater good.
But both Mercedes and Red bull have moved towards the tapered configuration. Maybe striking the right balance between the two is what's required.

_cerber1

Xero

M840TR wrote:
05 Dec 2019, 13:11
Xero wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 19:54
M840TR wrote:

But both Mercedes and Red bull have moved towards the tapered configuration. Maybe striking the right balance between the two is what's required.
I think so, yes. When I say tapered I mean the more extreme solutions, with little loading on the outboard. Red Bull and Merc seem to have that balance.

SmallSoldier

From Alex Sala... Note the protection in the rear brake vents to prevent the issues with visors/debris from blocking it:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bauc

Great article showing the development path of this years car

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/2019 ... MbdkuKXP0k
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg