McLaren Speedtail

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
humble sabot

Re: McLaren Speedtail

Maritimer wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 00:41
Looks too much like the Regera
That can't be a bad thing.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

strad

I don't understand the complaints. The only thing I don't like is the mis-matched wheels.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Sevach

I don't like it.

It seems when people called the Senna ugly, Mclaren went and said "I'll show you ugly".

DiogoBrand

Sevach wrote:
17 Nov 2018, 05:48
I don't like it.

It seems when people called the Senna ugly, Mclaren went and said "I'll show you ugly".
I disagree, I still think the Senna is uglier, even though the Speedtail made a valiant effort to dethrone it.

Manoah2u

oh dear where to start.
i hate it with all there is to it.
the F1 was a magnificient, legend of a machine that still amazes me to this day.
this looks horrible.
it's ugly, really ugly. it's shape probably is aerodynamic, but it has no character
and looks weak.
it's roofline looks excessively high compared to the hips, again making it weak.
it tries to look futuristic but it doesn't at all, and it's interior is horrible,
like some sort of apple store.
the front looks even worse, like touted lips and it has sacks under it's eyes.
the rear looks even more bad.
and then there are the wheel covers.

pretty much shows Mclaren of today. visionless and weak and in no contact with reality.

i liked the P1 a lot, that was much more of a F1. the 620s and 720s were also great.
the senna, takes some getting used to, but i do like it.

this, is a mess. i'd never want this in a million years if i had the money to buy it.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

shady

I dont understand where this car is supposed to live.. Its not an F1 spiritual successor because you have three seats, that much we all can see. But the Valkyrie, AMG1, and Agera RS1 are all born of the same vision, where they are the generation after the P1, 918, LF this feels more inserting luxury into the supercar tier, which is fine but missing the point no, the philosophy is wrong. I have seen videos talking about how its the fastest to 300kmh which is a lie, just a horrible horrible lie. Most of these cars tickle imagination, this feels like an also ran, like who cares, what is redeeming about the effort? My question is how do you follow up the P1 with this? We should have gotten P1 Gen.2 lighter, stiffer, more power with an AIM of besting the RS1 instead of just making "another car"... Just a disappointing effort, and bringing the F1 name into it for marketing is cruel. That car had a 20+year reign. I would LOVE to see them attempt to make a barebones follow up to that. Youre measured against yourself first and foremost, and this is a whiff and a miss to me.. But I am not their customer so in the end its just words.

the EDGE

shady wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 07:33
I dont understand where this car is supposed to live.. Its not an F1 spiritual successor because you have three seats, that much we all can see. But the Valkyrie, AMG1, and Agera RS1 are all born of the same vision, where they are the generation after the P1, 918, LF this feels more inserting luxury into the supercar tier, which is fine but missing the point no, the philosophy is wrong. I have seen videos talking about how its the fastest to 300kmh which is a lie, just a horrible horrible lie. Most of these cars tickle imagination, this feels like an also ran, like who cares, what is redeeming about the effort? My question is how do you follow up the P1 with this? We should have gotten P1 Gen.2 lighter, stiffer, more power with an AIM of besting the RS1 instead of just making "another car"... Just a disappointing effort, and bringing the F1 name into it for marketing is cruel. That car had a 20+year reign. I would LOVE to see them attempt to make a barebones follow up to that. Youre measured against yourself first and foremost, and this is a whiff and a miss to me.. But I am not their customer so in the end its just words.
? Did you not read the marketing brief? This is not a successor to anything, it is nothing like the 3 cars you mentioned

This is more akin to a Bugatti Chiron, a completely new direction for McLaren

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

MtthsMlw

It looks great from its side

Morteza

MtthsMlw wrote:
24 Dec 2019, 20:10
That profile is really something unique.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

J.A.W.

strad wrote:
17 Nov 2018, 00:34
I don't understand the complaints. The only thing I don't like is the mis-matched wheels.
Strad, I'd reckon I can see why you like it, since IMO, it does have a certain swooped-up
split window Corvette Sting Ray morphology/DNA-style look to it...

"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Just_a_fan

McLaren have their own long tail back catalogue to look to for inspiration:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PhillipM

MtthsMlw wrote:
24 Dec 2019, 20:10
There's a few angles it looks weird from but it's usually just photographers trying to get 'arty' ultra-low angle shots or from the roof down which you'd never see when you walk around it. I really didn't like the photo's of it originally but having walked around one it does look far better in person:

strad

@J.A.W..... Me thinks you need new glasses. :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

J.A.W.

Hey strad, "new glasses"? Dunno if they'd help, even in a rose-tint.

Anyone who can't spot the styling cues in common, needs an aesthetics appreciation course.
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).