Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
MarcJ

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Using the Titomic KF process you could make a unitary head/liner assembly eliminating the head gasket, routing superior cooling gallery geometry that reduces pressure reduction, energy needed by the cooling pump with the combined geometry of the head & liner increasing rigidity while reducing mass, delivering less blow-by at TDC as the liner deformation is reduced at peak cylinder pressure. This would support operating at a even further reduced piston/liner clearance having less geometric variance/distortion during the operating cycle, with a one piece steel or steel liner and composite alloy potentially using the Titomic KF process to have multiple materials. The reduced piston ring to liner friction would be above and beyond normal given the reduced deformation and steel liners having lowest friction. The use of the new graphene enhanced heat transfer nano fluid coolant reducing parasitic cooling losses even further, two innovations that are very symbiotic. The advantages really start to compound on one another bringing a whole new level of performance and efficiency.
Last edited by MarcJ on 14 Jan 2020, 05:11, edited 1 time in total.

saviour stivala

‘Steel liners?’ is liners (cylinder liners) being used in F1? I believe that they have gone out of favour for a long time now.

63l8qrrfy6

Steel liners have been back for a while - the advantage being the range of coatings that can be applied (DLCs of different forms) which do have a big effect on friction as Marc points out.

The reduced deformation also helps oil consumption and blow by.

saviour stivala

"Steel liners has been back for a while" any possible link to that information?.

dans79

Mudflap wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 17:10
Steel liners have been back for a while - the advantage being the range of coatings that can be applied (DLCs of different forms) which do have a big effect on friction as Marc points out.
I'm pretty sure you are wrong about this.

for example what Mercedes does.
https://media.daimler.com/marsMediaSite ... d=14316637
197 104 103 7

saviour stivala

dans79 wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 22:16
Mudflap wrote:

"As Mercedes has pointed out" that is why I asked him if he can produce any possible link.

63l8qrrfy6

saviour stivala wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 22:36
dans79 wrote:
Mudflap wrote:

"As Mercedes has pointed out" that is why I asked him if he can produce any possible link.
I said Marc (the user who originally pointed out steel liners-see above) not Mercedes - I have no idea what they do.

I know from my own experience with highly boosted endurance gasoline engines that compression rings with hard coatings will scrape off any coatings you can possibly apply to an aluminium bore (if they don't fall off on their own at temperaure that is).

The DLC steel liners are well documented and some off the shelf solutions are already available from Mahle - the link below is the first google search result.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.resear ... uction/amp

saviour stivala

Mudflap wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 00:08
saviour stivala wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 22:36
dans79 wrote:

I said Marc (the user who originally pointed out steel liners-see above) not Mercedes - I have no idea what they do.

I know from my own experience with highly boosted endurance gasoline engines that compression rings with hard coatings will scrape off any coatings you can possibly apply to an aluminium bore (if they don't fall off on their own at temperaure that is).

The DLC steel liners are well documented and some off the shelf solutions are already available from Mahle - the link below is the first google search result.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.resear ... uction/amp
Any possible link as regards anyone of the present four F1 manufacturers having reverted back to using steel liners in their engines?.

saviour stivala

I noticed that you actually said 'marc' and not Mercedes, so who is marc, any links possible?

63l8qrrfy6

No links, just an educated guess based on the fact that at the moment it is the best solution in terms of bore distortion and friction reduction.

saviour stivala

If your educated guess based on the fact that the use of steel liners separate from the block casting is the best solution in terms of bore distortion and friction reduction, it must have been the same best solution when F1 engine manufacturers abandoned the use of steel liners even with engines revving past the 20k RPM mark.

hollus

“marc” is MarcJ, the user making several posts in the last page before this one.
Rivals, not enemies.

saviour stivala

hollus wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 10:10
“marc” is MarcJ, the user making several posts in the last page before this one.
It was to late when I noticed that.

izzy

I was wondering whether AM might mean they don't need a separate cylinder head. Also you want the piston and its cylinder to expand with heat at the same rate don't you, and so if the piston is AM'd with a steel crown to take more heat it makes sense to do the cylinder in steel too.

And AM can make in steel with more cooling and thin and even hybrid, so it all comes beautifully together, if they've been able to manage it yet

Just_a_fan

saviour stivala wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 09:54
If your educated guess based on the fact that the use of steel liners separate from the block casting is the best solution in terms of bore distortion and friction reduction, it must have been the same best solution when F1 engine manufacturers abandoned the use of steel liners even with engines revving past the 20k RPM mark.
Are the engine materials regulations and limits on what can be used the same now as then? Were they using something then that is no longer allowed?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.