Mercedes W11 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bauc

Re: Mercedes W11 Speculation Thread

OO7 wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 21:41
NathanOlder wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 21:40
Not seen that one before, where that from? Qualcomm obviously showing its not new.
It's from Photoshop. :D
Yes, Photoshop to represent how it might look
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

NathanOlder

Why is it that the best ones are always Photoshop :cry:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

63l8qrrfy6

Decided to post some updates here rather than the Merc PU thread:

-Car mechanical design for 2021 is well underway.

-Cooling system for 2020 will see a massive revamp, expected to be even smaller than last year's!! Not clear if it will be ready in time for Melbourne.

-Engine has seen the largest bump in power over a winter since the start of the hybrid era, unfortunately reliability has also been at an all time low for these engines. Early spec 2 is on the cards if the problems can't be solved in time.

-Several team leaders in Brixworth have recently left. Unclear what is going on.

HungarianRacer

Mudflap wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 23:55

-Cooling system for 2020 will see a massive revamp, expected to be even smaller than last year's!! Not clear if it will be ready in time for Melbourne.

-Engine has seen the largest bump in power over a winter since the start of the hybrid era, unfortunately reliability has also been at an all time low for these engines. Early spec 2 is on the cards if the problems can't be solved in time.

-Several team leaders in Brixworth have recently left. Unclear what is going on.
... Does that mean they'll again have a launch-spec "A" chassis for the first (and potentially second) week of testing, then a "B" car with the upgraded cooling system and tighter bodywork for the Australian GP (or later)...?

63l8qrrfy6

HungarianRacer wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 00:46
... Does that mean they'll again have a launch-spec "A" chassis for the first (and potentially second) week of testing, then a "B" car with the upgraded cooling system and tighter bodywork for the Australian GP (or later)...?
I don't know and I would rather not speculate.

wesley123

LM10 wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 17:45
wesley123 wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 15:22
LM10 wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 13:21
I’m sure the Mercedes will look completely different to last year’s car and it will be the only car on the grid with a big concept change.
They probably came to the conclusion that with last year’s concept there was no significant performance gain possible anymore. There is no other explanation for such radical changes with just one season remaining before we witness major regulation changes.
The 2019 car was already quite a big departure.

The development wall isn't all that sure either; they essentially dropped development halfway the season because they were that far ahead.

I don't get why people are assuming radical design changes. The sidepod is a very logical development that can carry over to the next season.
Then name me another change you would consider to be radical with regulations staying the same.
How can this year's sidepod development carry over to the next season? The cars in 2021 will be hugely different from now.
Afaik regulations regarding position of the crash structure doesn’t change. Which means such a solution can carry over.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

wesley123

Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 18:02
wesley123 wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 15:22

I don't get why people are assuming radical design changes. The sidepod is a very logical development that can carry over to the next season.
I think the team have hinted at some new ideas in their public utterings, haven't they?
So? What they said was that last year design was all about downforce, and this year is more about efficiency, generally that just means taking drag out.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

zibby43

Mudflap wrote:

Thank you for those awesome tidbits of information on the PU side.

Overall, is the sentiment optimistic on the PU side?

Holm86

Mudflap wrote:

Hmm... after the 2019 season Mercedes admitted that their cooling system was not efficient enough to get the full potential out of the engine, so to run it even smaller seems weird

63l8qrrfy6

zibby43 wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 01:37

I would say "reserved" is a more accurate description.
As I understand last year they were in a similar situation durability wise but were able to roll back some of the changes. The downside was that they made very little gains last winter but were able to fix the engines in time.

This year due to some sort of architecture change it isn't really as easy to revert to previous specifications.
Last edited by 63l8qrrfy6 on 08 Feb 2020, 01:56, edited 1 time in total.

63l8qrrfy6

Holm86 wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 01:44
Hmm... after the 2019 season Mercedes admitted that their cooling system was not efficient enough to get the full potential out of the engine, so to run it even smaller seems weird
I think it will be a more efficient system. On top of that, the PU heat rejection is always reducing.

zibby43

Mudflap wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 01:49
zibby43 wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 01:37

I would say "reserved" is a more accurate description.
As I understand last year they were in a similar situation durability wise but were able to roll back some of the changes. The downside was that they very little gains last winter but were able to fix the engines in time.

This year due to some sort of architecture change it isn't really as easy to revert to previous specifications.
Thanks! Makes sense. Always look forward to your updates.

Sounds like they're doing their job and pushing the envelope to get better.

LM10

Mudflap wrote:

"Largest bump in power over a winter since the start of the hybrid era.." - How many times have we heard from other teams (including Mercedes) that Ferrari's power advantage was absurd and could not have been done legally? I wonder, if there will be any similar voices regarding Mercedes' sudden power jump next season.

63l8qrrfy6

LM10 wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 02:29
"Largest bump in power over a winter since the start of the hybrid era.." - How many times have we heard from other teams (including Mercedes) that Ferrari's power advantage was absurd and could not have been done legally? I wonder, if there will be any similar voices regarding Mercedes' sudden power jump next season.
I'm sure FIA can find room for a third FFM if it comes to it :))
Maybe one for oil too!

zibby43

I'll be interested to see if the team leader departures were poaching from other teams or internal dismissals due to failing to meet targets, etc.

Lots to tease out from that information.

The bit about the cooling architecture revamp ties in nicely with the article I linked previously. Forgot to include some of the excellent drawings by Giorgio Piola.

"But it is the unique Mercedes T-section chassis shape that featured on last year’s car which could (if, as expected, it's retained) allow the new sidepod arrangement to be even more powerful. Aft of the cockpit area, the Mercedes chassis is highly unconventional in shape."

"In this respect, it resembles the 1987 Benetton chassis (see drawing below), which would form a T-shape if a section were vertically cut through it.

Such a shape has allowed Mercedes to bring the radiator further forward than would otherwise be the case, helping centre the car’s masses towards the middle, which will give a more agile and responsive car, especially in slow-speed corners."

Source: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... vtEnF.html