General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wazari

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Sorry I'm not going to answer all your PM's individually but they all seem to have the same common questions so I will try and answer them the best I can.

IHI is not a technical partner any longer and not supplying components for "free" but they are still manufacturing some TC components to Honda's specs.

I don't want to get into this whole Alonso thing. The only thing I do know is that he is not the reason for the McLaren - Honda divorce. If Humpty Dumpty were driving for McLaren instead of Alonso the break up was inevitable.

The new Spec PU really needs different gear ratios in the higher gears to fully exploit its power band. Although the new PU should definitely see a power increase, the big gain should be a more efficient relationship between the ICE and H unit to benefit harvesting and deployment.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

Viruzpunk

Ty Wazari, good to see you :)

Wouter

Wazari wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 18:31
Sorry I'm not going to answer all your PM's individually but they all seem to have the same common questions so I will try and answer them the best I can.
-------------
Nice to see you on the forum again @Wazari san!
I hope you're fine.
Thanks for all the information.
Hopefully RBR / Honda can finally challenge Mercedes and Ferrari . :)
The Power of Dreams!

lio007

Thank you Wazari!
Good to hear that there will be some improvements!

For me it's a pity, that we haven't seen a fire-up video yet!

Viruzpunk

Wazari wrote:

The new Spec PU really needs different gear ratios in the higher gears to fully exploit its power band.
Can someone explain this plz. Does that mean we could stretch gears ratio ( for ex using 7th gear longer instead of the 8th as previously done) while maintaining torque and i guess at the end adding top speed ?

Brake Horse Power

Yes, at least make sure the whole width of the powerband is used. So bigger steps in between the 8 gears. Probably you end up adjusting gear ratio in? the diff? to prevent making extremely high top speeds. You just want to be at top speed as quickly as possible.

yener

Brake Horse Power wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 01:19
Yes, at least make sure the whole width of the powerband is used. So bigger steps in between the 8 gears. Probably you end up adjusting gear ratio in? the diff? to prevent making extremely high top speeds. You just want to be at top speed as quickly as possible.
I agree with you, but what i get is they should deploy more energy in the higher gears. Altough i dont know if you can map the power deployment of the MGU depending on the gear your in. If not, they probably finding more energy to deploy at all gears.
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

ispano6

Viruzpunk wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 21:57
Wazari wrote:

The new Spec PU really needs different gear ratios in the higher gears to fully exploit its power band.
Can someone explain this plz. Does that mean we could stretch gears ratio ( for ex using 7th gear longer instead of the 8th as previously done) while maintaining torque and i guess at the end adding top speed ?
Tanabe and Yamamoto said the RB15 was low geared. Taller gears will help in better modulation of torque delivery instead of being punchy and peaky, and more fuel efficient at top speeds.

hollus

Last year, the Red Bull needed about 500rpm more, in 8th gear, to reach any given speed compared to the Mercedes and the Ferrari, which had approximately equal 8th gears.
But I am not sure about the rest of the gears.
“More fuel efficient at top speeds” is the same as more power at top speeds in this fuel limited formula, isn’t it? Sounds more acceptable from a marketing point of view, though.
Rivals, not enemies.

Capharol

hollus wrote:
09 Feb 2020, 10:00
Last year, the Red Bull needed about 500rpm more, in 8th gear, to reach any given speed compared to the Mercedes and the Ferrari, which had approximately equal 8th gears.
“More fuel efficient at top speeds” is the same as more power at top speeds in this fuel limited formula, isn’t it? Sounds more acceptable from a marketing point of view, though.
sounds actual silly doesn't it ... 500rpm of the 12krpm they use ... but the higher the rpm the more the engine gets worn and I think it might even affects the fuel consumption

Alexf1

hollus wrote:
What would that mean for the RB16 top speed?

Snorked

We have a fire up 😍

aleshondas

Its smooth as f..k and i like it

lio007

Snorked wrote:
09 Feb 2020, 15:27
We have a fire up 😍

Yeah...finally!
This was overdue :-)

hollus

Alexf1 wrote:
09 Feb 2020, 14:59
hollus wrote:
What would that mean for the RB16 top speed?
In tracks where top speed was 330 km/h probably nothing or close to nothing (well, as someone pointed out, more revs = more wear, but it also means an earlier shift so one needs to look at all the gears there). In tracks where top speed was 350+ with a draft, they had to go to 12500 rpm or higher IIRC, and the engine power drops a lot there, so the top-top speed could have been 2-3 km/h higher in those situations.
That "handicap" only happened in 2-3 tracks, and then only in 2-3 laps. And this only happened because either a) their car was more slippery than they though (win?) and/or b) Honda delivered more power than they predicted (win).
So a tiny hiccup, really.
Rivals, not enemies.